|R-1 light tank|
On 1 April 1936 the Romanian Military accepted in service the AH IV light tank produced by Ceskomoravska Kolben Danek (CKD) factories and in August 1936 they placed an order of thirty-five vehicles. Upon delivery, the AH IV tanks (often reffered as tankettes) were modified according to the Romanian Army needs. The commander cupola was removed from the top of the turret, the armour was diminished from 15mm to a maximum thickness of 12mm and the original 60hp Praha engine was replaced with a lighter 50hp engine of the same type. The weight reduction with over half a ton also reduced the mileage and increased the maximum range on road to 160 kilometers. The vehicle, designated "R-1", equipped the mechanised reconnaissance squadrons of the cavalry brigades. The 5th, 6th and 8th Cavalry Brigades received six R-1 tanks each, while the 1st, 7th and 9th Cavalry Brigades received four. In 1941-42 they saw action with the Cavalry Corps (5th, 6th and 8th Cavalry Brigades) advancing in southern Ukraine and in Caucasus, and on other fronts assigned to cavalry troops (Odessa). After the disastruos battle of Stalingrad, the Cavalry Training Centre retreated R-1 from the active service.
|Type||Praha, water cooled|
|Max road speed||45km/h|
|Max cross-country speed||20km/h|
|Main||1 x 7.92mm ZB37 mg|
|Secondary||1 x 7.92mm ZB30 mg|