gerard demaison (29 April 2006)|
The French 75mm field gun Mle 1897 was not a Schneider product. It was developped by the government-owned Puteaux Arsenal near Paris, by two officers from Ecole Polytechnique : Sainte-Claire-Deville and Rimailho. Initially they were under the direction of a colonel Deport. Some parts ( e.g.barrels )were sub-contacted during WW1 to other government arsenals. However final assembly,as well as the manufacture of the hydraulic recoil mechanism were all entirely carried out at Puteaux Arsenal.