Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian Paratroopers of WWII, Comp. X, Det. de Parasutisti 'Sky-on', B
Balacius
Posted: October 12, 2019 02:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3423

Hello everybody,
I am a relative new member to this forum, so forgive me if I'll make any mistakes in the beginning;
I have some questions that I hope someone will be able to answer. It is as follows;

It is regarding "Comp. X, Det. de Parasutisti 'Sky-on', Bat.4 Vanatori de Munte - Predeal.":

I know that the company was formed sometime in October/November 1943, and that they took part in the battle of Otopeni and Baneasa forests in late August 1944. After the battle, the paratroopers were returned to their barracks. In February 1945 the paratroopers were disbanded on Soviet request.
My questions are therefore as follows:

Where can I find a military roster (lista de serviciu?) over the enlisted men and their commanding officers in (especially) comp. X?

The enlisted paratroopers and their officers - what happened to them? Were they 'picked up' by the other bodies of the army, or just left there in their quarters at Predeal for the remainder of the war?

I have heard faint rumours that parts of the paratroopers have seen action in both Prague, Salzburg, München and Vienna. Can there be any truth in these rumours?

The Romanian word "elev", in military terms, can it be translated as the English word "Cadette"?
Or does it simply mean "enlisted"?

The addition, 'Sky-on', after the "comp.X det. de Parasutisti" - what significance did that have, and why an English designation?

(In modern terms, the designation Hi-Lo paras, means that the troops have been training High altitude, as well as Low altitude jumps, hence 'Hi-Lo'.)

But, during WWII, what did 'Sky-on' imply to the Romanian paratroopers? To me, it sounds strange with English designations during those days. Would have made more sense with German.

Is there anyone that can tell me something more about Comp. VIII, IX, and X's fate - after the Otopeni/Baneasa battles?

Regards, Balacius [I]
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: December 08, 2019 05:31 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I never heard of this designation before. What is the source?

The 4th Paratrooper Battalion did indeed have the 8th, 9th and 10th companies, but it was not a mountain battalion. It was disbanded in early 1945 at the request of the Soviets. The men were distributed to other units and mosr likely some ended up on the front in Slovakia.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Petre
Posted: December 11, 2019 06:24 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 2434

4. Elev = pupil, learner, (student), etc. The Romanian word "elev", in military terms, referes to persons in any form of mil. training. Cadet means a student becoming officier. Enlisted is enlisted.
5. The addition, 'Sky-on', after the "comp.X det. de Parasutisti" - what significance did that have, and why an English designation ... check your sources, it can't be that.

http://www.romania-actualitati.ro/din_viat...ail_tantu-85335

https://www.rri.ro/en_gb/the_paratroopers_o...an_army-2575098

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0220 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]