In the spring of 1941, the Bridge Engineer Regiment was made up of three battalions: a major river bridge battalion and two river bridge battalion. The Regiment had to mobilize the 1st and 2nd Major River Bridge Battalions, the 1st, 6th, 7th, 18th and 19th River Bridge Companies for the 2nd River Bridge Battalion and the 4th, 10th, 11th and 15th River Bridge Companies for the 3rd Battalion.
The 1st Major River Battalion (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Major River Companies) had 1200 m of model 1912 bridge. It was lent in March 1941 to the 41st German Pioneer Battalion, which used it to bring troops into Bulgaria. On this occasion, about 1000 m of bridge were sunk in a storm. But the 1st Battalion managed retrieve a large part of it from the Danube. The 2nd Major River Bridge Battalion (5th-8th Companies) also had 1200 m of model 1912 bridge. The original superstructure was redesigned to support a weight of 12 tons.
All the river bridge companies were concentrated in Moldavia (subordinated to the 3rd and 4th Army), except for the 7th Company, which was deployed near Alba-Iulia. Each company had 128m or 192 m of MAN model 1937 bridge. This bridge was designed by cpt. eng. Vasile Cazaciuc, who used the Birago model 1918 metal boats (of which the army had plenty) and built a superstructure over them. The result was a bridge that could hold between 8 and 12 tons. It was very heavy, so the companies were equipped with ADGR (Austria Daimler Gelendewagen Rumänien) trucks.
After the 1941 campaign, the bridge engineer units were reorganized. The light bridge companies (1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th), which were equipped with older bridges (model 1913 and 1918), were broke into 12 river-crossing sections (1st-12th), which were used to build floating bridges or to simply ferry troops with their boats. Each had 2 officers, 4 NCOs and 144 (171 for model 1918 bridges) soldiers, 60 m of bridge and horse-drawn wagons.
In 1942, two motorized transport columns were created with the trucks from the 10th, 12th and 15th Company. The 1st Column had Skoda trucks, the other (2nd Column) ADGR trucks.
Also in 1942, the river bridge companies were equipped with 256 m of metal bridge, which could hold 16 tons.
The structure of the bridge engineer troops remained the same until the end of the war. In the autumn of 1944, the Bridge Engineer Regiment was subordinated to the Soviet 5th Engineer Brigade and participated in the campaign against Germany and Hungary, together with the other Romanian engineer units, subordinated to the 1st and 4th Army.
Because it lacked the necessary transports, the Regiment returned from Solt (Czechoslovakia) to Braila, where it had its barracks, by rowing on the Danube.