Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> armoured cars north of Aiud ?
paul panzer
Posted: October 09, 2007 07:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1604

Is it possible that a Romanian unit fought with wheeled armoured cars north of Aiud in the Mures valley around 6-10 September 1944? I have a witness statement referring to an encounter of Hungarian Turán tanks with wheeled armoured cars in this area. Any info welcome !
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 10, 2007 02:05 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Is it possible that a Romanian unit fought with wheeled armoured cars north of Aiud in the Mures valley around 6-10 September 1944? I have a witness statement referring to an encounter of Hungarian Turán tanks with wheeled armoured cars in this area. Any info welcome !

Yes, it is possible. The Niculescu Detachment (incorporating Popescu Detachment ) was reinforced with wheeled armoured cars (at least five SdKfz 222) and fought in the area of Mures valley on 6-8 september '44.

See more details on the page 194 from "Third Axis, Fourth Ally" book of Mark Axworthy.

user posted image

PM
paul panzer
Posted: October 10, 2007 05:27 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1604

Thank you very much for this info !
This is probably a good starting point.
I do not know where the Niculescu Detachmennt fought in the Mures valley. I take from the internet that it was in the area of Oarba de Mures (Marosorbó)). My problem is that the armoured cars were spotted in the area of Miraslau (Miriszlo) which lies considerably more in the Western direction.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0309 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]