Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Why Romania entered the war against the Soviets?
Dénes
Posted: January 13, 2009 07:45 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (delaprut @ January 13, 2009 11:30 pm)
It is very doubtful that Transnistria was an war goal at all for Romania. The reason for its going to war was clearly the occupation by the Soviets in 1940 of Bessarabia, Bucovina and the Herta county.

That's exactly what I wrote. However, let's not forget that Rumanian accepted to administer Trans-Dnestra, a region similar in size and population to Northern Transylvania, reincorporated into Hungary about a year earlier.

Here is a map of the region (from Wikipedia):
user posted image

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: January 13, 2009 08:11 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

QUOTE (delaprut @ January 13, 2009 05:30 pm)
While it is true that once these objectives have been achieved Antonescu decided to continue the war, this was rather related to another strategic objective - namely the recovery of Transilvania from Hungary. In addition, Antonescu explained that it only made sense to stop fighting against the Russians when they were completely defeated.

Recovering Transylvania by advancing into the SU was a distant goal whose achievement was uncertain and its relation with the decision taken was very weak.

In my view it was only an argument to convince the patriotic public that the campaign into the SU was part of the same campaign to recover lost territory, and thus gain similar public support for it. And it was weaker than the ideological and/or military arguments.

--------------------
I
PM
dragos
Posted: January 13, 2009 11:23 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Dénes @ January 13, 2009 10:45 pm)
That's exactly what I wrote. However, let's not forget that Rumanian accepted to administer Trans-Dnestra, a region similar in size and population to Northern Transylvania, reincorporated into Hungary about a year earlier.

Administration is one thing and annexation is another. The administration of Trans-Dnestra and reincorporation of NW Transylvania are different things.

QUOTE (Imperialist)
Recovering Transylvania by advancing into the SU was a distant goal whose achievement was uncertain and its relation with the decision taken was very weak.

Not exactly, because right from joining the Tripartite Pact Antonescu was lured into believing this goal. Hitler and Mussolini promised support in recovering the lost territories in exchange for adhering to the Tripartite Pact. As the war progressed, the issue of Transylvania was used as blackmail for Antonescu and, I think, Horthy as well.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
MMM
Posted: January 14, 2009 07:00 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

Hitler and Mussolini promised support in recovering the lost territories in exchange for adhering to the Tripartite Pact.

I disagree wit that! There were no promises made - at least the writen history never recorded any.

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: January 15, 2009 05:35 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

user posted image
user posted image

From: Eliberarea Basarabiei si a nordului Bucovinei (22 iunie - 26 iulie 1941), Editura Fundatiei Culturale Romane, 1999.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Dénes
Posted: January 15, 2009 06:45 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

That quote clearly refers to the possible recovery of Bessarabia and Northern Bukovina, not Northern Transylvania.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on January 15, 2009 06:45 pm
Imperialist
Posted: January 15, 2009 08:21 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (dragos @ January 15, 2009 05:35 pm)
user posted image
user posted image

From: Eliberarea Basarabiei si a nordului Bucovinei (22 iunie - 26 iulie 1941), Editura Fundatiei Culturale Romane, 1999.

And what came out of the talks?

Ribbentrop told him that the decision was a done deal, with Germany and Italy focusing on settling the inter-ethnic relations between the Romanians and Hungarians left on one side or the other of the partition.

Hitler told him that he understands his pain, that the time hasn't come to reconsider the decisions history and that history won't stop in 1940.

Antonescu said that Romania will remain quiet for now and will reopen the issue when general peace is signed. He also hinted that a population change could be a possible solution.

No clear commitment.

--------------------
I
PM
feic7346
Posted: January 15, 2009 08:41 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 1768

I notice that in the map pictured above the Ardeal was not the Ardeal of 1914. When Romania gave Up the Ardeal in 1940, did that not include Brasov and Sibiu? They are both part of Romania in the map above! If so the what Hungary recouped in 1940 was NOT what she lost in 1918-9! This was not a real bad deal for Romania for it could have been way worse@!
PMEmail Poster
MMM
Posted: January 15, 2009 08:51 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Well, I only talked about Transylvania... which Hitler NEVER promissed or let even an illusion of returning it to Romania, until the spring of 1944, after the military occupation of Hungary. Even then, he talked to his generals about the intention of rather annexing Transylvania directly to the Reich - I repeat, in the spring of 1944, with the Russians on the Dniestr river! And if you want proof (or lack of proof), read the book of Andreas Hillgruber or the books of Gh. Buzatu with the edited minutes of Hitler-Antonescu meetings and their letters.

--------------------
M
Dénes
Posted: January 16, 2009 06:49 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (feic7346 @ January 16, 2009 02:41 am)
I notice that in the map pictured above the Ardeal was not the Ardeal of 1914. When Romania gave Up the Ardeal in 1940, did that not include Brasov and Sibiu? They are both part of Romania in the map above! If so the what Hungary recouped in 1940 was NOT what she lost in 1918-9! This was not a real bad deal for Romania for it could have been way worse@!

The map is correct (well, except for the status of the Trans-Dnestra region, which is still a bit unclear to me. I have seen maps where the region was shown as part of Rumania, like the one above, while other maps do not show it as such).

Indeed, what Hungary received back in Aug. 1940 was not what she lost in 1920 (officially). It was less than half of the original territory, but the population of Transylvania that was retained by Rumania was overwhelmingly Rumanian.

But you already knew this, didn't you? ph34r.gif

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on January 16, 2009 09:57 am
Victor
Posted: January 16, 2009 07:45 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Trans-Dnestra's status may be somewhat unclear, but what it is certain is that it was never annexed to the Romanian state during 1941-44. What would have happened in case of Axis victory is ofcourse not known, but during those years it was regarded as a territory under Romanian administration (with the Germans administering the railroad and the Odessa port), but not as Romanian territory.

Thus the map on Wikipedia is misleading as it shows Trans-Dnestra as par to Romania, which was not the case.
MMM
Posted: January 16, 2009 12:42 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

As I said before and I will almost surely say it again: NOT ALL the infos from the Net are real; some of them might be misleading due to poor kowledge, others by bad intentions. And Wikipedia is neither an encyclopaedia, nor a scientific enterprise... Not that I haven't found many - and I mean MANY - good informations in it.

--------------------
M
Radub
Posted: January 16, 2009 01:04 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

Wikipedia is a "living project" and changes can be made by anyone. If you know something that is incorrect there, you are perfectly entitled (and encouraged) to set the record straight. To paraphrase an old saying, "all it takes for idiocy to prevail is for smart people to stay uninvolved".

Internet is a strange place. I had my share of "arguments" on the internet with people who take what is written on the internet as Gospel. But here is the crux: If you say something to them via the same medium of internet, it does not have the same strength as the other stuff that they read via the same medium. In other words, some stuff on the interent is more believable than other. What determins relevance? In the case of many Romanians, it is the good old "ce buey te crezi mai dashtept ca mine?" laugh.gif Personal response always stirs personal petty prides. The best thing to do is to create a faux website, place your opinions there and then insert a link to it in the discussion. Try it, you will be amazed at the difference. ph34r.gif

Radu
MMM
Posted: January 16, 2009 03:07 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

I'll keep that in mind. laugh.gif However, one of the most used phrases by us, Roma's... oh, well, Romanians... tongue.gif is "Do you know who I am?" (If I remember correctly, even Cioran was tired of that one!) My usual response is "Nor do I care". OK, let's go back to the topic: Antonescu never said nor thought (methinks... ph34r.gif ) that he would accept Transnistria as a compensation for the loss of Transylvania, regardless of what Hitler or his entourage promissed. As for the occupation of the territory, it was clear that the Germans were the "ultimate masters", in a manner of speaking.
And as for the wikipedia, I already made some changes on an article regerding the village where I live. It was really easy - too damn easy for someone to trust this data...

--------------------
M
Radub
Posted: January 16, 2009 03:38 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (MMM @ January 16, 2009 03:07 pm)
I already made some changes on an article regerding the village where I live. It was really easy - too damn easy for someone to trust this data...

MMM,
biggrin.gif Try to figure out why you distrust everyone (including yourself as it seems) and there may be the answer to your scepticism. laugh.gif

That map seems to match this map http://terkepek.adatbank.transindex.ro/kepek/netre/221.gif

A similar map (although partial, showing mostly the East) appears in "from Barbarossa to Odessa" by Denes Bernad.

A similar map appears in "Third Axis Fourth Ally" by Axworthy and Craciunoiu. Transdnestra is marked as "territory promissed by Germany".

A similar map appears in "Armata Romana in al doilea razboi mondial" by Rotaru et al

It may be on Wikipedia, but that does not necessarily make that map worthless - they just repeat what other wrote before.

Radu

This post has been edited by Radub on January 16, 2009 03:43 pm
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0357 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]