Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> oob Romanian unit june 1941, help identification on map!
babar
Posted: September 07, 2008 10:02 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 2243

hi, it possible that people here, we can help to say, if this unit, on map coming from 22 june 1941!

because, i have start translation, but oob from romania area was heavy to identify it, each time was spoken on german oob, but nothing was speech about romanian unit.

after my different research i been fall on Worldwar2.ro site, and i have start to read different story.

but can't you me correct it, if this unit we are writing, have fight from 22 june to july 1941, into romania area. And please identify it, if are German or Romanian unit.

so here first part of map.
user posted image

thank's
PMEmail Poster
babar
Posted: September 07, 2008 03:55 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Also now by looking on different russian map, i see it, the 13th and 14th Inf. division (rom.) in area of 198 Inf. division. so by yassi city area.

and this is done between 1. and 10. july 1941.

and so is to identify a 4th AK (rom.) into near sector of romanian cavalry and mountain corps.

Also can't are possible that many of unidentified unit,coming from this 4th romanian army corps?

and the second 13th inf. division, on area of 22th inf. division and 8th romanian inf. division, i think,this second was 13th. Infantry division (german).

This post has been edited by babar on September 07, 2008 04:18 pm
PMEmail Poster
babar
Posted: September 07, 2008 05:40 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

also now, i have found, that 13,14th infantry division (rom)+ 198th infantry division (heer), was group of xxx army korps.

22th infantry division (heer) , was with 72th I.D. by 11th Army (nothing sub army corps attachment, direct by 11th Army).

but 46th i.D., and 13th I.D. (i think this second 13. division, was german infantry division) this is unknown to moment.
PMEmail Poster
bansaraba
Posted: September 07, 2008 05:58 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 2196

The correct names of the cities (contains Central European letters):

Botoshani = Botoşani

P'yatra Nyamc = Piatra Neamţ

Bakdu = Bacău

Yassy = Iaşi (english: Jassy)

Beltsy = Bălţi

PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: September 07, 2008 06:22 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

babar,

Serious operations began in the Romanian sector in July, not on 22 June 1941. Are interested in the OoB on 22 June 1941 or the OoB at the beginning of Operation Muenchen? Some changes occurred in between these days and this is why you might find slightly different OoBs.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
babar
Posted: September 07, 2008 08:35 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (bansaraba @ September 07, 2008 05:58 pm)
The correct names of the cities (contains Central European letters):

Botoshani = Botoşani

P'yatra Nyamc = Piatra Neamţ

Bakdu = Bacău

Yassy = Iaşi (english: Jassy)

Beltsy = Bălţi

ok, but this city name, was this in ww2 year, or after russian, ukrainian have done old Moldavo territory.

Because in ww2, many area was on authority of russian district, so i have choice, to use some old city called name, so i use Kishinev, and other old name, but on romanian territory i don't know if called city was old, or new name (many city was rename after ww2 year).
Bel'cy or Beltsy was old name of ukrainian territory, and Balti is new name used by moldavo territory.
And for Jassy, yes this i have used, but i have write yassi and not yassy, so error occurred.
so i will change, and use romanian city name on romanian territory.

and thank's for two other city name.

and many city i have just make russian transliteration, because on start, i have nothing found info about city name called in ww2 year. But i would use, old city name on romanian area, and on Russian i use russian name.

the reason is simply, because, i would have possibility to follow many battle report, we call city name, or area.

QUOTE (viktor)
Serious operations began in the Romanian sector in July, not on 22 June 1941. Are interested in the OoB on 22 June 1941 or the OoB at the beginning of Operation Muenchen? Some changes occurred in between these days and this is why you might find slightly different OoBs.

Yes viktor, main operation start on 02 july, but on site of ww2.ro, i have see that mountain corps have task to retake northern bukovina sector. So is better to know, the follow march of this unit. So is cool to identify next city area, and road we she have use. (more terrain we unit have use to reach next sector)......

This post has been edited by babar on September 07, 2008 08:51 pm
PMEmail Poster
babar
Posted: September 07, 2008 09:45 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

aha, now, i find a complete new information, on report of Crimean Campaign - 1942, is first time write on 46. I.D. (heer) so this division don't was in area or don't have fight before 1942.

so this is error on map, so i will rectify it.
identically, i have read first time, 22. I.D. (heer) later on date of December 1941, in text of "The 3rd Army in the Ukraine and Crimea - 1941"
Nothing before, so i rectify it, on map.

but now i ask me, if this 22.I.D. was into 11th Army on start july 1941. (not sure)!
coming later as july month.
and to moment i would just have this unit, from start of op. München. we was main attack on 02 july.
PMEmail Poster
babar
Posted: September 07, 2008 10:34 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

so lasted news of this day, or for this night!

on another map, i have now full list of army corps we have fight between 01 to10 july 1941.

northern sector 3th Army (Ro.)
Mountain corps (Ro.)
cavalry corps (Ro.)
4th A.K. (Ro.)

sector Center of romania area. 11th Army (heer):
11th A.K. (heer)
30th A.K. (heer)
54th A.K. (heer)

sector south: (4th Romanian army)
3th A.K. (Ro.)
5th A.K. (Ro.)
11th A.K. (Ro.)
2nd A.K. (Ro.)

so now, a question, in what corps was 6th i.D. (Ro.) 4th?
PMEmail Poster
ocoleanui
Posted: September 08, 2008 07:29 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2121

D6I is a part of Corps 11 German, 11 Army(27.06 - 07.1941)

From 28-31.08(3.09?)1941 is part of 4 Corp , 4 Romanian Army.
PMEmail Poster
babar
Posted: September 08, 2008 10:06 am
Quote Post

Soldat

thank's!

so now, i have make following research about this 22th I.D. and i been fall on interest comment on russian site, and i find same info on wikipedia:

Since the beginning of the war of 2/3 divisions it was located on the West (the 5th A, GA). It participated in the Western campaign.
Since January 1941. as airborne division it is transmitted to main command [Luftwaffe], since April 1941. - at the disposal OKH, On the Border with the USSR - since June 1941.

And here info about Commander of unit by wikipedia:

On 1 March 1938 Sponeck was promoted to Major-General. During the Werner von Fritsch affair Sponeck was called as a character witness but was roughly put down by Göring as Court President. Sponeck became commander of the 22nd Infantry Division with 42nd Army Corps training as airborne infantry divisions as paratrooper (fallschirmjäger) regiments. The German airborne assault on the Low Countries began on 10 May 1940 with Generals Kurt Student and Hans Sponeck. Sponeck led the German troops in the Battle for the Hague. He was wounded and on his return to Germany was further awarded with Knight's Cross and promoted to Lieutenant General by Adolf Hitler.

Before dawn on 22 June 1941 the offensive against the Soviet Union was launched. Hans Sponeck was part of the 11th Army in the south attacking in the direction of Crimea. On Sponeck's return from injury leave, von Manstein gave him command of 46. Infanterie-Division which had taken the Kerch Peninsula on the extreme east tip of the Crimean Peninsula.

On 26 December 1941 the Russians launched an invasion of Crimea. Their plan was to land seaborne troops at Kerch and Mount Opuk, supported by later landings at Theodosia with 42,000 troops. On December 28 the battle in eastern Crimea had developed in favour of the Germans with them having eliminated one of the two Soviet beachheads around the town of Kerch. Sponeck requested permission to retreat to avoid being cut off and captured and so to regroup, but was denied three times. On 29 December the Russians landed additional forces on the southern coast at Theodosia and Sponeck had only 30 minutes to decide on his actions. On his own initiative, as a trained Prussian officer, he gave order for his 10,000 men to retreat. In temperatures of minus 30 degrees Celsius, in a howling snowstorm and icy winds, the battalions of the 46th Infantry Division marched west. The column was some 120 km long. The soldiers marched for 46 hours with only the occasional rest for coffee, to warm up. Many suffered frostbite, and most of the horses starved. Much of the Divisions heavy equipment, including its artillery, remained behind on the frozen road.

On 31 December Sponeck's 46th Infantry arrived at the Parpach neck, where they established a defensive line. On 1 January 1942 the Russians attacked again and were held back by Sponeck's men. The arrival of a rail-mounted unit finished off sixteen Russian T-26 tanks. Sponeck and his forces held off the Russians long enough until reinforcements arrived.

so this give me definitively info that 46. I.D. don't have participate on first fight, on june-july 1941.
Because on this date,was into Balkan area under 12. Army.

and yes for 22. I.D. under general Hans Graf von Sponeck. And OoB say it was into XI A.K. (so was correct emplacement on map)

but was nothing call or named as FalshirmJäger division (airborne division), only as Infantry Division, this is reason that on map have designation of I.D..
PMEmail Poster
ocoleanui
Posted: September 08, 2008 11:25 am
Quote Post

Caporal

PMEmail Poster
ocoleanui
Posted: September 08, 2008 11:31 am
Quote Post

Caporal

AND 46 ID IT WAS IN RESERVE

http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=42
PMEmail Poster
babar
Posted: September 08, 2008 12:02 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

hi, but this his version by feldgrau!
and i like better me refer on http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliede...sionen/22ID.htm
So 22. Division was single (of 2 second division was 91. division) we has designation as luftlande division (air transported division) not airborne.

and on 46. I.D.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliede...sionen/46ID.htm

so Juni and July month, on start of barbarossa, this division, was on 2. Army Yugoslavia, and in July OKH (Romania).

so into month of October 1941, was insert into part of LIV army corps. nothing before,
so nothing have fight before crimea area.

To 22.06.1941 of 26 infantry divisions of the 1st wave of 24 divisions it was located in the composition of army groups On the Border with the Soviet Union, one (15th) division at the disposal [OKKH] behind the front of armies even one (46- I) division - in the reserve [OKKH].

This post has been edited by babar on September 08, 2008 12:18 pm
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0441 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]