Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Modern Romanian helmets
USAF1986
Posted: October 03, 2003 01:44 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 112

I just read this news article from U.S. Central Command RE the Romanian 812th Infantry Battalion in Afghanistan (see link). As the soldiers seem to be wearing U.S.-style “Fritz” helmets in the photo, it got me thinking: does the Romanian Army of today still wear the “Dutch helmet” in any capacity…perhaps for home garrison or ceremonial purposes?

http://www.centcom.mil/CENTCOMNews/Stories...es/03_03/25.htm

Regards,
Shawn
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: October 03, 2003 01:50 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 9

Disgusting to see Romanian soldiers wearing foreign accoutrements...

And yes, the Romanian Army after a period of wearing Russian type helmets (1949-1973), finally designed a "home" style helmet based on the WW2 Dutch Helmet, but shorter and practical than the old M-40s. It was named the Model1974 Romanian helmet.
PMUsers Website
cuski
Posted: October 03, 2003 01:58 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 85

And perhaps a little off-topic, but the "U.S. Style "Fritz"" helmets are based on WW2 german helmets. laugh.gif
PM
Dénes
Posted: October 03, 2003 02:54 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Isn't it "funny": after W.W. 2, the US Army took the Germans' helmets and gave to the new Germany Army the old US helmets... :?

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Victor
Posted: October 03, 2003 05:57 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Disgusting to see Romanian soldiers wearing foreign accoutrements...

Following your logic it is disgusting to see Romanian soldiers wearing Adrian helmets at Marasesti in 1917 or Romanian soldiers at Sevastopol in 1942 wearing Dutch helmets and of course Romanian cavalrymen in 1944 with German Stahlhelms. Isn't it?
Geto-Dacul
Posted: October 03, 2003 02:11 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Victor wrote :

Following your logic it is disgusting to see Romanian soldiers wearing Adrian helmets at Marasesti in 1917 or Romanian soldiers at Sevastopol in 1942 wearing Dutch helmets and of course Romanian cavalrymen in 1944 with German Stahlhelms. Isn't it?

You marked a point here! laugh.gif

Ok, I do not have anything against that our soldiers had foreign equipment but all thid was during war periods and I think that today's "modern" Romania should engage in making the army more "national" and not use American helmets or field caps, when you already have a national model. It shows a lack of interest and independence... I agree that during 1949-1973 we were obliged to wear Russian style helmets and uniforms, because we were under direct occupation and influence, most of that time... But today? I just saw the new field cap that will be replacing our old capela!!! And it it disgusting me! Looks like a damned baseball cap!
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: October 03, 2003 07:09 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Actually I am not sure the helms are identical to the US ones. The desert uniforms are made from the same materials as the British ones (which were also made in Romania), but the helms do not look like the British ones either.
USAF1986
Posted: October 04, 2003 01:20 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 112

Victor,

I think you’re right. The soldier on the right, at least, appears to be wearing the new U.S. PASGT “Kevlar II” helmet. This helmet is already in use by certain U.S. units and will eventually replace (or at least supplement) the "Fritz" helmet. It features a three-point strap system with a wide leather chin cup and has a decidedly more close fitting appearance (i.e., without such a pronounced flare around the sides) than the "Fritz" helmet.

Regards,
Shawn
PM
Victor
Posted: October 05, 2003 02:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Here are two pictures with helmets used by the Romanian Army in Afghanistan.
http://www.vnitu.home.ro/P1010003.jpg
This one is of a soldier from the 26th Mechanized Infantry Battalion. The helmet is unknown to me, maybe a new Romanian model?

http://www.vnitu.home.ro/hawks_in_lightnin...ing_iii_132.jpg
This other one is of soldiers from the 812th Mechanized Infantry Battalion.
Dénes
Posted: October 05, 2003 03:40 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Victor, the links don't work for me.
Here's the message I got:

[quote]403 Forbidden
You must supply a local referer to get URL '/P1010003.jpg' from this server.[/quote]

Dénes
PanzerKing
Posted: October 05, 2003 05:43 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

I love that "Enduring Freedom RO-USA" patch!
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
Geto-Dacul
Posted: October 05, 2003 06:13 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

HHHHHEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY! SOMEONE JUST ERASED ONE OF MY MESSAGES!!! :evil: :!: :shock:
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0440 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]