Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The modern "Delfinul" in our Navy
Dr_V
Posted: October 29, 2003 10:45 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

Hey, I've seen on TV yesterday that a senator had sugested to sell the only sub in the Navy and buy 10 F16s second-hand with the money. What do you think about that?

Is Delfinul so outdated that we can't use it or what?

I've heard that the sub misses some vital parts to work: the rechargeble batteries for the electric motors. Someone said that new ones would cost nearly 6 milion $ to buy (from the Russians I presume). I don't have so much technical knoledge in that area, but is it impossible to build these batterys in Romania? It would certainly be much cheaper and would also provide a good contract for the Romanian industry.
I know that we have factories that make rechargeble batteries and their products are quite good, so can they make the ones needed for the sub?
PM
Der Maresal
Posted: October 29, 2003 11:03 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Hey, I've seen on TV yesterday that a senator had sugested to sell the only sub in the Navy and buy 10 F16s second-hand with the money. What do you think about that?  

.......I don't have so much technical knoledge in that area, but is it impossible to build these batterys in Romania? It would certainly be much cheaper and would also provide a good contract for the Romanian industry.

We also have Aircraft Factories in Romania smile.gif [like IAR Brasov] that could build us some Fighterplanes (so we don't have to buy them from the west)

We are still in the Russian sphere - either we buy planes from them ---
... or... we build them ourselves !!! :twisted:

:wink: :wink:
PMMSN
Geto-Dacul
Posted: October 30, 2003 02:44 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 9

Dr_V wrote :

I don't have so much technical knoledge in that area, but is it impossible to build these batterys in Romania? It would certainly be much cheaper and would also provide a good contract for the Romanian industry.  
I know that we have factories that make rechargeble batteries and their products are quite good, so can they make the ones needed for the sub?

It would of course be more advantagous to build them by ourselves, but I wonder in what shape is our military industry today, after 14 years of intensive corruption and inactivity.

... or... we build them ourselves !!!

Russian sphere [of influence]? What do you mean by that? Are there any Russian troops occupying Romania? Are the Russians dominating our economy? :shock:
I don't think so. So we cannot talk about a "Russian sphere of influence" in Romania, and that since 1989.

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: October 30, 2003 07:55 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We also have Aircraft Factories in Romania  :) [like IAR Brasov] that could build us some Fighterplanes (so we don't have to buy them from the west)

... or... we build them ourselves !!!  :twisted:  

:wink:  :wink:

IAR Brasov is more into helicopters. The Romanian jets were built at IAv Craiova and at Bacau (the present-day Aerostar). But we never built fighter jets. The IAR-95 project was eventually canceled because we lacked the proper engine.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dr_V
Posted: October 30, 2003 11:26 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 71

Geto_dacul wrote :
It would of course be more advantagous to build them by ourselves, but I wonder in what shape is our military industry today, after 14 years of intensive corruption and inactivity

I guess it's in the same shape as the rest of our industry, on the edge of disaster. But my idea was not based on using the military industry as I know that "Acumulatorul" is a civil factory and it's in quite a good shape.

When they say that the sub's batterys are ded and need to be changed they mean only the actual battery or a larger structure of the sub? I mean, the battery itself can be made in any factory that has the ability to produce the batterys of the right size and capacity. On the submarine must be changed a power-unit or some kind of block structure or the individual batterys (I guess they are a number of batterys mounted paralell, as in any big acumulator) can be changed inside?
If this is possible, the employment of a military factory is not necessary, just a navy shipyard or repair dock to make the actual replacement and "Acumulatorul" can make the batterys.

I know that "Acumulatorul" produces (or produced) batterys for IAR and MIL helicopters, for some heavy vehicles and various types of cars, so I guess it's able to make some for a submarine too. Why not? It's the same think, just at a bigger scale. Anyway the money would be spent in our economy, maybe helping it to rize.
PM
Der Maresal
Posted: October 31, 2003 12:49 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

The IAR-95 project was eventually canceled because we lacked the proper engine.

Never heard of the IAR 95, was it a Fighter Aircraft? What does it look like, can you show us a picture?
Building a pure fighter would indeed be very prestigious, (just like the IAR 80 was) but I don't see that happening because of the situation we are now in.. sad.gif

tells us more about the IAR-95
PMMSN
johnny_bi
Posted: October 31, 2003 02:42 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

Dr_V said:
\"Acumulatorul\" can make the batterys

Well, this is an hasardous afirmation.

You mean Rombat Bistrita biggrin.gif ... actually factory's premises are 800m away from my place biggrin.gif .

Well, there are two problems:
1. As a succesfull private company in civil field, it would be very difficult to accept to produce such batteries (with such a value) HOPING that they would be paied (remember the budget) in time.
2. I think that it is also a matter of know-how and equipment... I know that they do not produce some kind of car batteries because they do not have equipment in order to respect the standard... imagine the problems with submarine batteries :wink: .
I doubt that they would invest money in such equipment in order to produce batteries not for 20 but for only one submarine... This thing would have been possible if there would have existed a global economical strategy of the Army regarding the involvement of the Romanian civil companies in the defence industry backed up by an economical rise of the country. I think that for moment it is not possible.

Normally, in the western countries the private companies would be delighted to deal with the army, in Romania I doubt that for the simple fact that the largest majority of the industrial companies(let's say not ALL of them) have big problems with the cash-flow - that means that their investments and money for their sales must be recuperated as soon as possible.
PM
Victor
Posted: October 31, 2003 07:15 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

tells us more about the IAR-95

There is an interesting article about it in Aeromagazin no. 8. It contains an interview with Dumitru Badea, the former project manager.

The IAR-95 was supposed to be the first Romanian built supersonic jet. It was not going to be a pure fighter. Those do not exist anymore.
The main problem was the engine. The Soviets and the French refused us. The British, however, seemed to be willing to give away the Rolls-Royce Spey military version, but later. There were several designs, both single and twin-engine, but because the engine lacked, they never got more then a scale model for wind tunnel testing. It reached about Mach 2. After 23 years (in 1981) the project was abandoned. Nobody wanted to give us a supersonic engine, not even the Chinese.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0354 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]