Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Smoke Generator Units ?
tjk
Posted: September 05, 2003 08:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 80

Did the Romanians use smoke generator equipment to protect industrial and/or military sites ? If so, what is the Romanian term for these units ? Thank you for your help ?
PM
C-2
Posted: September 06, 2003 09:24 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I had a neighbor ,Tomi Stere ,is his name(if his stil alive..)
When he was in the army during the war he was stationed at Ploiesti,in the rafineries era.He was in a teem of such smoke generators.
He couldn't tell how eficient they were,but only that he had a fellow soldier who died in an accident with those smoke generators.
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: September 08, 2003 03:13 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The Germans operated a network of smoke generators in Ploesti and managed several times to cover the city with their artificial fog, especially during exercises. IIRC, it gave headaches.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Cristian Craciunoiu
Posted: September 10, 2003 07:29 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 102

I found several photos with the German made smoke generator operated at ploieti. Regiment 28 Artilerie Antiaeriana had a Compania Chimica in charge with smoke camouflage. The sistem worked so:
Every day, a small Ford truck equiped with meteo wind mils established the main winds arround the town. They reported to the Compania Chimica. Smoke generator were some in fixed position and some on trucks ready to be moved. Once the radars anounced and American Bombing Raid, the generators were started about 20 minuted before they reach Ploiesti area. The main reffineries and the city were allways found covered with camouflage smoke.
Mr. Benson, ex Tresorery Secretary in the Clinton administration came 5 times as a gunner above Ploiesti but saw only the white screen covering the targets.
you can find pictures in my book about Romanian Aeronautics during WW2.
PM
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: September 15, 2003 05:50 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 53

an interesting testimony about the smoke (in romanian "ceata artificiala") is in the book "Bine ati venit in infern" written so well by Ioan Georgescu. Unfortunally i do not think that the book was translated in any international use language.

Regards,
BM
PMMSN
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: September 15, 2003 05:52 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 53

scuse me, the writter is Ioan Grigorescu and it is about the Tidal Wave operation (1/08/1943)
PMMSN
Victor
Posted: September 15, 2003 06:55 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The book only contains the supposed memories of the author about the "sabotage" of smoke generators by some bands of "anti-Fascist" kids, led by a truck driver. biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0369 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]