Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian-made Firearms, Postwar 1945-1989
cuski
Posted: September 21, 2003 05:29 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 85

[quote]Yes that's the one!
I knew it was MP 17...
sorry if I'm wrong!
anyway that's the one I was looking for!
Thanks![/quote]

Enjoy! smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PM
Der Maresal
Posted: September 21, 2003 05:39 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Cuski, is this not the MP38 Bergmann SMG ? I have an image in a book of a German in 1940 French Campaign, he's holding this rifle in his hand and it says there that it is a Bergmann MP38 (1938). He also has a Luger stuffed in his boot and grass and other camo material on his helmet..

If I can find post that image here I will.

*PS: anybody heard of the MP45 "Sturmgewehr 45"? The last of the German assault rifles to be made...it was never completed..and I think the designers went after the war to Spain whey they continued their research.
PMMSN
cuski
Posted: September 21, 2003 06:58 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

[quote]Cuski, is this not the MP38 Bergmann SMG ? I have an image in a book of a German in 1940 French Campaign, he's holding this rifle in his hand and it says there that it is a Bergmann MP38 (1938). He also has a Luger stuffed in his boot and grass and other camo material on his helmet..

If I can find post that image here I will.
[/quote]

Maresal, even if it were, how would you explain the MP18 on here tongue.gif :

user posted image
PM
C-2
Posted: September 21, 2003 08:08 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

[quote][quote]What weapon is this one, being used here? It has a second wooden grip forward as well as a sliver metal muzzle, and it neither lookls like the Ak-47 nor the SAR-1.[/quote]

To me it looks like a modified AKM or AK-74 (I sure hope it's 74 if Romania plans to get included in NATO) with folding buttstock and GP-25 40mm grenade launcher. smile.gif[/quote]
From what I know ,NATO forces should have 5.56 amo,for rifles(FA MAS,AR 70/223 Beretta,Colt Commando,M16 and others).
Does enyone know if the Polish army has changed his rifles?
PMUsers Website
cuski
Posted: September 22, 2003 03:30 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

[quote]From what I know ,NATO forces should have 5.56 amo,for rifles(FA MAS,AR 70/223 Beretta,Colt Commando,M16 and others).
Does enyone know if the Polish army has changed his rifles?[/quote]

The AK-74 is an AK-47 chambered for a 5.56 round.
PM
Victor
Posted: September 22, 2003 05:21 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

He is probably referring to the 5.65mm caliber
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
cuski
Posted: September 22, 2003 07:47 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

[quote]He is probably referring to the 5.65mm caliber[/quote]

5.65? None of the AKs ever developed had such a caliber.. Here are the variants:

1. AK-47 and AKM: 7.62x39mm
2. AK-74, AKS-74U and AKS-74: 5.45x39mm (yes, I was wrong, I was thinking of the AK 101)
3. AK-101: NATO, 5.56x45mm
4. AK-103: 7.62x39mm
5. AK-102 and AK-108: NATO, 5.56x45mm
6. AK-105 and AK-107: 5.45x39mm
7. AK-104: 7.63x39mm
PM
Victor
Posted: September 22, 2003 12:45 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

[quote]
5.65? None of the AKs ever developed had such a caliber.. Here are the variants:
[/quote]

Claudiu was referring to the standard NATO caliber. Reread his last post.
cuski
Posted: September 22, 2003 04:15 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

That would be 5.56 then smile.gif
PM
C-2
Posted: September 22, 2003 07:06 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

There is a 5.45 Ak-74 and AKS-74.
The NATO is like I said 5.56!
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: September 23, 2003 05:41 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

That would be 5.56 then smile.gif

You are correct about the NATO caliber, but you are wrong about the AK-74. It was designed for 5.45 mm ammo.

PS: Looks like Claudiu already adressed it.
Der Maresal
Posted: November 22, 2003 11:44 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

(AK-47 more reliable than M-16)!

M-16 Rifle May Be on Way Out of U.S. Army from Yahoo News.http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...aq_goodbye_m_16

By SLOBODAN LEKIC, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - After nearly 40 years of battlefield service around the globe, the M-16 may be on its way out as the standard Army assault rifle because of flaws highlighted during the invasion and occupation of Iraq (news - web sites).

user posted image
AP Photo

Related Links
• M-16 Overview (fas.org)

U.S. officers in Iraq say the M-16A2 — the latest incarnation of the 5.56 mm firearm — is quietly being phased out of front-line service because it has proven too bulky for use inside the Humvees and armored vehicles that have emerged as the principal mode of conducting patrols since the end of major fighting on May 1.

The M-16, at nearly 40 inches, is widely considered too long to aim quickly within the confines of a vehicle during a firefights, when reaction time is a matter of life and death.

"It's a little too big for getting in and out of vehicles," said Brig. Gen. Martin Dempsey, commander of the 1st Armored Division, which controls Baghdad. "I can tell you that as a result of this experience, the Army will look very carefully at how it performed."

Instead of the M-16, which also is prone to jamming in Iraq's dusty environment, M-4 carbines are now widely issued to American troops.

The M-4 is essentially a shortened M-16A2, with a clipped barrel, partially retractable stock and a trigger mechanism modified to fire full-auto instead of three-shots bursts. It was first introduced as a personal defense weapon for clerks, drivers and other non-combat troops.

"Then it was adopted by the Special Forces and Rangers, mainly because of its shorter length," said Col. Kurt Fuller, a battalion commander in Iraq and an authority on firearms.

Fuller said studies showed that most of the combat in Iraq has been in urban environments and that 95 percent of all engagements have occurred at ranges shorter than 100 yards, where the M-4, at just over 30 inches long, works best.

Still, experience has shown the carbines also have deficiencies. The cut-down barrel results in lower bullet velocities, decreasing its range. It also tends to rapidly overheat and the firing system, which works under greater pressures created by the gases of detonating ammunition, puts more stress on moving parts, hurting its reliability.

Consequently, the M-4 is an unlikely candidate for the rearming of the U.S. Army. It is now viewed as an interim solution until the introduction of a more advanced design known as the Objective Individual Combat Weapon, or OICW.

There is no date set for the entry into service of the OICW, but officers in Iraq say they expect its arrival sooner than previously expected because of the problems with the M-16 and the M-4.

"Iraq is the final nail in the coffin for the M-16," said a commander who asked not to be identified.

The current version of the M-16 is a far cry from the original, which troops during the Vietnam War criticized as fragile, lacking power and range, and only moderately accurate. At the time, a leading U.S. weapons expert even recommended that American soldiers discard their M-16s and arm themselves with the Kalashnikov AK-47 rifle used by their Vietcong enemy.

Although the M16A1 — introduced in the early 1980s — has been heavily modernized, experts say it still isn't as reliable as the AK-47 or its younger cousin, the AK-74. Both are said to have better "knockdown" power and can take more of a beating on the battlefield
PMMSN
Dr_V
Posted: November 23, 2003 09:43 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 71

C-2 wrote:

The AK 47 made in Romania has ,like you said ,a second wooden grip that makes distingive the Rom AKM from the others.  
Why this grip was \"invented\"I don't know.It makes the firing much dificult beside other inconvenients.Any way The AK is made in many countrys but \"we \"have the only Ak with this stupid wooden grip.

I fiered a Romanian AK47 modified for hunting (it was sold untill last year, now was banned). The only modifications were the 5 bullets clip and the limitation to just semi-automatic fire. Otherwise was the same AK47 the Army uses. It had a small scope mounted on a side and was a very heandy weapon for shooting large moving targets (as a running boar or a bear).

I do not agree with you about the uselessness of the second wooden grip. Using the gun at hunting I've considered it an advantage. Thisway is easyer to carry the weapon loaded and ready to fire when you run, without endangering the other hunters around you, then placing it in the fiering position is faster. I'm comparing it with a rifle, let's say a short-barreled 8mm Winchester that has about the same length and weight.

I admit that I don't have a clue if this is the same in combat. It's possible that a soldier sees those things from the opposite. But I talk from what I've experienced myself.

V
PM
dead-cat
Posted: November 23, 2003 11:35 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 99

specs for the AK74 ammo:

tpye: 7N6 (bullet)
diam.: 5.45mm
weight: 3.43g
speed(exit): 900m/s

there is also an AP version 7N10
with a 16mm steel perforation capability at 100m.

[taken from "Visier Special" (a german weapon magazine)]
PMYahoo
PanzerKing
Posted: November 27, 2003 04:37 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

Did you know that US tank crews have been issued captured Ak-47s? The reason is that US tank crews are only alotted 2 M16 rifles & 4 pistols, but because the situation is so dangerous, the crews have been allowed to use Ak-47s to fill in the shoratge of M16 rifles. I don't have the link, maybe a search will find the article.
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0867 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]