Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> second hand US nuclear sub. for Romania???
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: March 30, 2006 07:55 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

biggrin.gif Tomcat if you don't watch your language I will tell everyone about your internet and putter laugh.gif
PMUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: March 30, 2006 08:26 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Zayets @ Mar 30 2006, 04:49 PM)
Obviously, volume is not measured in square meters. It is , obviously , the cubic meter in which volume is expressed. Also , obviously, we are talking about metric system.

Well duh, I knew that. tongue.gif
At the time I didnt have info so I only said a sea of 422,000km2 must have a huge volume of water.
The Black Sea volume is 550,000km3.

QUOTE ("Zayets")

But volume isn't everything, neither surface when we speak submarines. If a relatively big submarine is used, that one must have room to move, if the bottom of the sea isn't too deep then maneuvering it is a problem. I don't recall what is the deepest point, but definitely , it is nothing compared with the big ocean, or North Sea, or Mediterana.

Right, but apparently the Sturgeon's maximum depth is 400 meters. So even if placed in a deep Ocean or the Med, its max. depth would be the same.
The center of the Black Sea has depths of 2000 meters peaking at 2210 meters.
Even if in some Ocean the depths could be larger, 400m would still be the limit in both cases.

--------------------
I
PM
Jeff_S
Posted: March 30, 2006 11:33 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

I know I'm coming in late to this debate, but some comments were made that I can't resist responding to.

Some have expressed the idea that a nuclear sub is necessarily more "modern" than a diesel-electric sub. That's not necessarily the case, not at all. As some have pointed out, USN Sturgeons are 3 generations old now. The only real advantages that I'm aware of that nuclear subs have is the ability for sustained high speed, and sustained submerged operations. There might be some times when a sub in the Black Sea would need the second of these, but the first? Never, IMHO.

I had some friends in a former job who were former USN P-3 maritime patrol aircrew. They had trained extensively with both diesel-electric and nuclear subs. They said the diesel-electrics were almost impossible to find. You had to either see the snorkel with your radar when it was recharging its batteries (not likely) or get very lucky and fly right over the sub and detect it with the magnetic anomaly detector (even less likely). The nuclear subs made lots of noise when they ran at the highest speeds (this was the 1970s) and even when they were running quiet, or sitting still, the noise of the pumps was always there.

I would say purchase of a (or operation of a free) surplus SSN is evidence that Romania's naval establishment had gone mad. 2 SSKs can do anything you would realistically need to do, and at a fraction of the cost. Wealthier countries with much more demanding naval requirements (e.g. Japan, Italy, Spain, India, Taiwan) don't operate SSNs.
PMYahoo
tomcat1974
Posted: March 31, 2006 07:02 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

QUOTE (Victor @ Mar 30 2006, 04:53 PM)
tomcat1974, please watch the language.

Roger Victor

anyway... the information about decommisioned sub as being a Sturgeon class might be wrong. US Navy had decommioned also Los Angeles Class Nuclear attack submarines also.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-688.htm

This post has been edited by tomcat1974 on March 31, 2006 09:26 am
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: March 31, 2006 09:50 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ Mar 30 2006, 11:33 PM)

I would say purchase of a (or operation of a free) surplus SSN is evidence that Romania's naval establishment had gone mad.

This is just an unconfirmd rumour for now. Maybe a way of preparing public opinion for other purchases. You know like in saying OK if you think a second hand SSN would be too expensive and a bad deal then we'll buy 2 new SSKs. It kind of reduces the reaction to the latter purchase in view of the spending blunder alternative.

And from what I've read here the diesel subs are very tough while the nuclear ones are noisy and clumsy. Then why do the world powers build SSNs when they could build hordes of diesel subs with improved autonomy (by using "cows" for example)?
As for an SSN in the Black Sea, I think its also important what it can do offensively. Even if it is too big as some say or too noisy, if it can outmaneuver, outspeed or "outdetect" a diesel sub or a ship then it should be ok.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: March 31, 2006 09:56 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

[...] Maybe a way of preparing public opinion for other purchases.

laugh.gif indeed.. we are lead by such subtle men biggrin.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif
PMUsers Website
Jeff_S
Posted: March 31, 2006 07:49 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Mar 31 2006, 04:50 AM)

You know like in saying OK if you think a second hand SSN would be too expensive and a bad deal then we'll buy 2 new SSKs. It kind of reduces the reaction to the latter purchase in view of the spending blunder alternative.

Maybe that's it. Neutralize opposition to doing something unnecessary by threatening to do something seriously crazy.

And from what I've read here the diesel subs are very tough while the nuclear ones are noisy and clumsy. Then why do the world powers build SSNs when they could build hordes of diesel subs with improved autonomy (by using "cows" for example)?

I think that's an oversimplification. Diesel subs can be very hard to detect, and can carry the same weapons as SSNs. But there are plenty of situations where SSNs have big advantages. Let's say, hypothetically, you are Britain, and Argentina has invaded the Falkland Islands. You need to do a long, open-ocean transit to get some force on the scene to intimidate the Argentine navy. An SSN is perfect for this. (Substitute "US, China, and Taiwan" if you want a future example). Need to chase SSBNs under the Arctic ice? An SSN is the "weapon of choice". It's just that Romania is unlikely to face this sort of situation. World powers build SSNs because they want to be able to project power worldwide, or at least outside their region. And almost all of them also build non-nuclear subs too.

Even if it is too big as some say or too noisy, if it can outmaneuver, outspeed or "outdetect" a diesel sub or a ship then it should be ok.

Speed is of limited tactical value to submarines. Even at 30-35-40 knots, you're not faster than a torpedo, or a helicopter, or a fixed-wing patrol aircraft. And actually travelling at that high speed just makes you a target. And you can't rely on "outdetecting" the modern diesel sub... it can carry the same sensors, and it's probably quieter too.
PMYahoo
cristi
Posted: April 01, 2006 05:39 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 356

whis is a joke!!!
today is 1 april!!!
PMEmail Poster
Mihai DIAC
Posted: April 04, 2006 12:46 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 870

QUOTE (cristi @ Apr 1 2006, 05:39 PM)
whis is a joke!!!
today is 1 april!!!

This is NOT a joke !
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: April 04, 2006 12:59 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Mihai DIAC @ Apr 4 2006, 12:46 PM)
This is NOT a joke !

So are you the guy who wrote the article? For real? unsure.gif

--------------------
I
PM
Iamandi
Posted: April 05, 2006 06:59 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

If he really is, he can tell us some more details?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0718 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]