Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Killed Rumanian pilots on parachute by Americans in 1944
Csaba Becze
Posted: September 26, 2003 06:21 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

Anybody have an exact info about the killed Rumanian pilots on parachute by American fighters in Summer, 1944? If I know correctly, several IAR-80 pilots were killed in this form.
PM
C-2
Posted: September 26, 2003 07:26 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Many ARR pilots complaind about this.
Try to read the memories of Dragos Stinghe on www.arr.go.ro at the interv.
Another vet Ioan Marinciu said that the Bulgarians declared that if the Americans will cont.to open fire on paraschuts they will burn alive the American prisoners.
They used to cont.fire even after the plane was smoking and in fire.
PMUsers Website
Csaba Becze
Posted: September 26, 2003 07:52 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 54

Ok, but can I have exact info about the number of kiled Rumanian pilots?
BTW the Americans killed 3 Hungarian messer pilots also in summer, 1944 on parachute (and wounded several, and had the same accidents with Me 210 crewmembers also)
PM
C-2
Posted: September 26, 2003 09:37 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

It's imposible to tell even a close to reality number,but I'm sure that Victor and/or Denes will come with a few names.
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: September 26, 2003 09:40 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

There was one IAR-81C pilot shot in his parachute. Adj. av. Pavel Bucsa, IIRC. I am not at home right know, but I will check it tommorow and will add more details to this post.

Edit: Slt. av. Pavel Bucsa (I also found him as Burcu) was hit in his parachute after he bailed out on 31 May 1944.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
C-2
Posted: September 27, 2003 08:29 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

You just took the words aut of my mouth...
I'll say also that Bucsa wasn't hurt by the Americans who open fire on his para.but before bailig out.
His "luck"did't ended here,and his para.was traped on a building in Cartierul Domenii and there was a need for a intervention of fireman in order to bring him down...
PMUsers Website
George
Posted: November 09, 2003 03:40 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 138

If I remember correctly,Lt.Batranu Nicolae was shot in parachute.
Also,on July 3 1941,Cpt.Av.Vasilescu Ioan,from a Bristol "Blenheim" was shot in parachute by an I-16 and was killed.
PM
Dénes
Posted: November 09, 2003 07:08 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

On July 3 1941,Cpt.Av.Vasilescu Ioan,from a Bristol \"Blenheim\" was shot in parachute by an I-16 and was killed.

There is a matching claim in Soviet sources. They say one of the Rumanian airmen became POW. But I have all three crewmembers as KIA. Do you know which airman was taken prisoner and what was his fate?

The very same day there was another ARR aircraft loss, mentioned as Blenheim (?), listed as MIA over enemy territory. Crewmemebers were: slt.obs. Ioan Stiuca, adj. pil. Ioan Clisu and serg.mitr. Ioan Boscan. They were from Esc. 12 rec. Do you know the actual airplane type and serial number?
Victor
Posted: November 09, 2003 08:50 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Esc. 12 Rec. and Blenheims? :shock: Are you sure?
Dénes
Posted: November 10, 2003 12:26 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Esc. 12 Rec. and Blenheims?  :shock: Are you sure?

That's how it was mentioned in the original document. It's obviously a clerical error. Or, the squadron number could be given erroneously.
That's why I marked the airplane type with a question mark and asked someone to confirm the airplane type.
George
Posted: November 11, 2003 04:28 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 138

Esc.4 Recunoastere.Blenheim No.12
Cpt.Av.Vasilescu Ioan dead.
Slt.Av.Radulescu Gh. POW.
Srg.Av.Manoliu Mihai down with the airplane.
PM
Dénes
Posted: November 11, 2003 05:42 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

O.K., the issue of Blenheim No. 12 is now clarified.
What about the other incident, happened on the same day? Can you clarify the controversy?
C-2
Posted: January 14, 2004 10:43 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

luftwaffe pilot Lt Emil Omert of 8 Jg 77was killed over Rom.on 24 April 1944 after intercepting a large formation of B 17 and 24,Omert had to bail out and was killed while still in the paraschute by a P 51.
Omert had 70 vict.and many low level miss.
PMUsers Website
Cantacuzino
Posted: January 16, 2004 03:56 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Member No.: 144

Slt.Av. Matei Spiridon from 58 sq. was shot in parachute and killed on 21 april '44 by american pilot ( probably P-38 pilot). One of the possible explanation of this often inhuman acts it could be that many american pilots judging by their names ( Brown, Goldstein etc) are jew at origin. So it's well known their hate( understandable) for the Nazi german people. At that time, many american pilots mark the victories on their planes with zvastica ( no matter if are romanian messerschmitt or IAR 80 ) :?:
PM
mars
Posted: January 17, 2004 03:48 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 70

[quote]Slt.Av. Matei Spiridon from 58 sq. was shot in parachute and killed on 21 april '44 by american pilot ( probably P-38 pilot). One of the possible explanation of this often inhuman acts it could be that many american pilots judging by their names ( Brown, Goldstein etc) are jew at origin. So it's well known their hate( understandable) for the Nazi german people. At that time, many american pilots mark the victories on their planes with zvastica ( no matter if are romanian messerschmitt or IAR 80 ) :?:[/quote]

I kind of disagree, shooting a parachuting pilots was of cours violate the common accepted rule of engagement, but it was not a war crime. The reason why American had the habit to shooting bailed-out enemy aircrews, they did it at all front, was that they thought it was easy for enemy to replace the aircrafts, but it was not easy for enemy to replace the experienced pilots, so why gave enemy pilot a chance to live and fight another day ?
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0479 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]