Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Paratroopers' Hungarian and Russian "sections"
Dénes
Posted: July 05, 2003 06:05 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Can someone explain to me the legend of a photo published in Modelism's book on ARR, p. 186, bottom, which states 'Russian and Hungarian sections paratroops, ready for trainign missions in 1943...'
Were there separate 'sections' depending on the front zones (?) these paratroopers were to be employed? Were these sections made up by ethnic soldiers, who spoke local languages?
This is somewhat strange to me, after all, these men were not spies, but rather fighters, weren't they?

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MaxFax
Posted: July 08, 2003 07:11 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

I have read that text fragment as well and in my opinion it's about Romanian soldiers (paratroopers) who had knowledge of foreign languages.We could be talking here also about Romanians of German, Hungarian (and Russian ??) origin, but not necessarily. Of course they waren't spies ! I underline that this is what I understand from both versions (Romanian and English) of this text fragment. Modelism International offers its readers a CD on the subject " Romanian paratroopers 1936-2002". For sure more information can be found there.
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 08, 2003 09:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Knowledge of local language(s) would certainly be of some help for a paratrooper deployed into the enemy's rear area; however, I still think the paratrooper's main mission is military one, thus interaction with local civilians is very restricted in purely combat operations. Usually a translator or two would do the job of asking local people about the enemy's positions, etc.

This whole issue - if the aforementioned photo legend is true - denotes to me a covert intelligence gathering mission (spying), rather than regular combat operation.
It would be interesting to learn further details on this issue.

Dénes

P.S. Now that I was freshly promoted to "Caporal", I can order to Soldat MaxFax: "culcat"! tongue.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MaxFax
Posted: July 09, 2003 06:03 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Ironically in real life I'm just a private (soldat) in spite that most of my collegemates are second lieutenant. I can't tell you why laugh.gif So Private MaxFax would prefer "la culcare" in stead of "culcat" 8)
Private ... Svejk
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0239 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]