Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Stalin's plan to attack Hitler in july 1941, how much reality in this?
ANDREAS
Posted: August 07, 2009 06:58 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 2421

Hello everybody...
I hope you know more or less Victor Suvorov books, I mean Icebreaker, Day "M", Suicide, and Last Republic...
Hope the theory he launched about Stalin planned to attack Nazi Germany is familiar to you... at least you read about it...
If you don't know I describe briefly his theory according to which Stalin and his army secretly prepared an full scalled attack of Germany and his allies in July 1941, few weeks after the date on which the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union took place. Suvorov narrate that the Red Army had been deployed to an offensive position. As described in Suvorov's books, Stalin prepare to attack on 6 july 1941 was prepared since 19 august 1939, the day the both dictators agreed the well known Molotov Ribbentropp pact...
What do you think? Who believes and who don't? Why do you or don't you? Reasons!
Waiting your reasonings...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
MMM
  Posted: August 07, 2009 07:28 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

How nice...
1. These things have already been discussed on this forum (although I think I am one of the very few people who read Suvorov and agreed to some of his - quite biased - opinions)
2. Suvorov (Rezun, actually) has a theory according to which Hitler was more or less Stalin's puppet, and even that Hitler's coming to power in '33 is due to Stalin's policy towards social-democrats etc.
3. I've read those (not Suicide - what's the Romanian title?) and some more: Epurarea and Cenuşă fără epoleţi wrote by him as well.
4. Actually, many of today's historians tend to agree (as much as historians do ever agree on anything... tongue.gif ) that Stalin did prepare an attack on Germany as well. However, this theory would overthrow too much of what was already written and done - and IMO it's much too comfortable to leave things as they are instead of "troubling waters".
To conclude, I think that many of the facts in his books were true, but many were also propaganda of the same kind he blames on the Soviets. smile.gif

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
ANDREAS
Posted: August 09, 2009 08:20 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

Hallo MMM,
and thanks for your post...
First I have to say that I thought this theme was before debated... but since I didn't find, at least on this page WW2 in general, anything ariund it, I post it like this...
Maybe I didn't look very well...
I agree that many ideeas and facts, and even technical aspects in these books are exaggerated or even untrue, but many things are surely credible...
But I'm still unsure about this date of 6th july 1941...could this be true?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
MMM
Posted: August 09, 2009 08:35 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

The exactity of the date depends in the highest measure on the precision of Suvorov's accounts; in other words, the date is as true as the rest of his story! smile.gif

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0333 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]