Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "Regele Ferdinand" warship was commissioned today
Carol I
Posted: September 11, 2004 09:53 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

I agree with you regarding the armament, but maybe there still is time. I remember reading somewhere that the upgrading process of the two frigates will continue up to 2008-2009. Look for example what I have found on http://www.navyleague.org/sea_power/feb_03_25.php

- "The Romanian Navy decided not to retain the BAE Seawolf point-defense missiles and as a replacement has selected the MBDA VL Mica, with two eight-cell launchers installed in place of the Type 911 trackers."
- "As much as possible of the modernization program, including all later stages of the upgrades, will be carried out in Romania, and an agreed industrial offset package will involve Romania in a range of manufacturing programs."

So maybe some further systems will be added later.
PM
Carol I
Posted: September 11, 2004 10:26 am
Quote Post

General de armata

On the web site of the Ministry of National Defence it is said that most of the weapons will be installed in the second phase of the upgrade process that will take place in 2008-2009. They will include anti aircraft, electronic warfare and anti surface weapons systems.
PM
Dan Po
Posted: October 16, 2004 01:04 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

I wander what kind of sidearms have the frigate crew members in this pic ?

http://www.fortele-navale.ro/diverse/ochiu...learschi_01.jpg

Definetly not AKM s .....

for more pics : http://www.fortele-navale.ro/galerie.htm

This post has been edited by Dan Po on October 16, 2004 01:05 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Stephen
Posted: October 16, 2004 08:35 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 365

The Regele Ferdinand class frigate are a great start for the Romania Navy. As the step why not modernize the Tetal I&II class and upgrade the Destroyer Marasesti. These ships if armed with modren Radar, Sonor, Communication systems and modern western weapons systems, could be quite potent warships. That would give Romania a fleet of nine powerful surface ships, not quite the Royal Navy but strong none the less.

Also can anybody tell me what if any amphibious assult ships/craft that Romania Navy has or is planing on aquiring in the future? Will buy new submarines maybe from Germeny, Holland or UK in the next decade or so.

Thank you smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Dan Po
Posted: October 16, 2004 11:22 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

I don t think that an aquisition of some subs are a priority for Romanian Navy. "Delfinul", a soviet "Kilo" class is the only submarine in romanian fleet. Delfinul is not operational becouse Navy don t have enough money for a new propulsion system.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
aerialls
Posted: October 17, 2004 08:14 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 157

it's a pretty ship... i like it. cool.gif
PM
Dani
Posted: October 17, 2004 11:55 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 323

QUOTE (Dan Po @ Oct 16 2004, 01:04 PM)
I wander what kind of sidearms have the frigate crew members in this pic ?

http://www.fortele-navale.ro/diverse/ochiu...learschi_01.jpg

Definetly not AKM s .....

Looks close to British SA 80s...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Victor
Posted: October 18, 2004 06:41 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You are correct Carol. There are also other problems, one of them being the short range of the ship.
Stephen, the RN-94 was purchased by Turkey IIRC.
Lets' get back on topic and leave the helicopters and tanks to other threads.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: October 18, 2004 07:20 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

About guns... www.sinodefence.com at army, individual, type 95 smile.gif . SA 80? why? Maybe a CUGIR one...

Tetal I & II are ships for patrol - big ships for patrol, like US Coastal Group. In case of war, our navy is defeated in ... how manny minutes? Aaaa... Type 42! Aha, some more minutes wink.gif .

I repeat: http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/lupo/index.html

Lupo is more capable then Type 42.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: April 22, 2005 12:56 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

News about the second Type 22 frigate for Romanian Navy:

Second Romanian Type 22 Frigate Commissioned to Time and Budget

Source: BAE Systems
issued Apr. 21

" Regina Maria, the second of two ex-Royal Navy Type 22 frigates being regenerated and modernised by a BAE Systems-led team for the Romanian Navy, is to be officially named and commissioned at Portsmouth today.

The ceremony will be attended by Mr Ioan Ion, Secretary of State for Armaments of Romania, and Britain's Minister for Defence Procurement Lord Bach. The handover of Regina Maria (formerly HMS London) follows the commissioning of the Regele Ferdinand (formerly HMS Coventry) on 9 September 2004.

The two ships became available for sale in 2001. Agreement was reached for their acquisition following discussions between the UK and Romanian Governments in December 2002.

The reactivation of the ships to operational condition and NATO standards is being undertaken through the MOD's Defence Logistics Organisation, which placed a £116m contract with BAE Systems Customer Solutions & Support (CS&S) for the work. CS&S has led the reactivation and upgrade project, which has included a wide span of UK industry.

BAE Systems group managing director for CS&S and Land Systems Ian King commented, "Romania's Queen Maria, after whom this vessel is named, did much to strengthen ties between Romania and Britain. Her namesake Regina Maria is already doing the same. We have worked closely with the UK MOD and the Romanian customer, as well as our Portsmouth-based joint venture partners FSL and Flagship and the rest of the industry team. Together we have delivered our NATO allies two highly-capable naval vessels."

Rolls-Royce has reconditioned the ships'engines and Flagship is responsible for crew training. Fleet Support Ltd has completed a demanding 13-month extensive system replacement, upgrade and installation package.

FSL director of engineering and ship support, Mal Lewis, explained, "Regenerating HMS London has been even more demanding than the first ship, HMS Coventry, because she was been laid up for much longer, meaning there was a far greater level of emergent work.

"It has been an impressive demonstration of our ability to deliver complex machinery and systems packages, working in close partnership with Royal Navy personnel under the Team Portsmouth banner."
"The partnering approach to prime contracting adopted by BAE Systems directly aligns with FSL's Team Portsmouth values and ethos; this has been key to the on-time delivery of these vessels to the required quality and budget."

Equipment fitted by FSL as part of the upgrade to both ships includes an Oto Melara 76mm rapid-fire gun with Radamec electro-optical tracking system; AMS Nautis fire control system; BAE Systems MPS2000 communications system; Inmarsat B global maritime distress and safety system; Terma SKWS decoy system; and Sperry Marine Mark 39 ring laser gyro compass and LMX 420 global positioning system.

The handover followed successful sea trials in March designed to demonstrate the operability of all Regina Maria's systems and structures. These included high-speed trials at speeds of up to 28 knots and testing of sensors and weapon systems, involving gun and dummy torpedo firings. Representatives from Romania were on board to witness the demonstrations.

Regina Maria's 203-strong crew will undergo preliminary sea training and the vessel will attend the International Festival of the Sea events before sailing to Romania in July 2005. "

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
88mm
Posted: April 28, 2005 06:33 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 18

The should sell us Triton type frigates and not this type 22.
PM
Iamandi
Posted: April 28, 2005 07:05 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Triton? Is not so bad Type 22 for our needs. Ok, i want long range sea skiming anti-ship missile, but... Exocet is superior to russian models of anti-ship missile (Styx) in service now in Romanian Navy. Harpoon, Sunburn...

I return to my considerations. We are a NATO country and is not need to buy military technology only from the great guys. Much newer and capable is Lupo/Artilegrie italyan frigates. And thats what we needed, and not another second hand thing!

Iama

[edited by admin]
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
88mm
Posted: April 28, 2005 08:01 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 18

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/trimaran/ Don't argue about it's not made yet. I was just trying to make a point on how we always buy which other scrap.
PM
Iamandi
Posted: April 28, 2005 08:58 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

You are right. I know well this project. And, i understand well your point. We get another second handhings, and that it is. I mentain my considerations, and if you give me that link, i sugest to look yourself on what "i" want to my country:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/lupo/

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Carol I
Posted: June 08, 2006 10:41 am
Quote Post

General de armata

PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0489 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]