Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pictures of Romanian Soldiers, Found on Dragunov.net
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 19, 2006 06:01 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

Here is a selection of pictures found on the net showing Romanian Soldiers.

user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

the web site is decicated to the Dragunov weapons systems.

FOR A LOOK AT THE ROMANIAN PSL See:
http://dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html

Kevin in Deva ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by New Connaught Ranger on July 19, 2006 08:09 pm
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: July 19, 2006 06:11 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

This is what the Rumanians call PSL (Pusca semiautomata cu luneta?).
I had the chance to fire it with several occasions while I was in the army.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
deadmanwalking
Posted: July 19, 2006 07:04 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 322

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obT-yMWMa28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaOtWHI63Hc

cool LAROM barrage in the second

This post has been edited by deadmanwalking on July 19, 2006 07:05 pm
PM
Zayets
Posted: July 19, 2006 08:24 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

QUOTE (Dénes @ July 19, 2006 06:11 pm)
This is what the Rumanians call PSL (Pusca semiautomata cu luneta?).
I had the chance to fire it with several occasions while I was in the army.

Gen. Dénes

Same here.
tomcat1974
Posted: July 20, 2006 07:35 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

QUOTE (deadmanwalking @ July 19, 2006 07:04 pm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obT-yMWMa28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaOtWHI63Hc

cool LAROM barrage in the second

Are you sure that where LAROM upgraded launchers ... They looked to me as the old 122mm Grad launchers. At least I am not sure how should I diferenciate between them.

But anyway those are very nice videos... Why the hell our army doesn't promote itself more?

This post has been edited by tomcat1974 on July 20, 2006 07:51 am
PMEmail Poster
deadmanwalking
Posted: July 20, 2006 05:12 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 322

on mapn.ro it said LAROM. I don't know if we have an BM-21 left... all of them must have been upgraded to LAROM by now. But it's still weak... if you check the video 122mm leaves small craters... but the Israeli company in charge of the upgrades said our system can fire both 122mm and 160mm LAR rockets. does anybody know if we have those too and if we have counter-battery radars?
PM
PRAETOR
Posted: July 21, 2006 10:44 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 980

The pictures present some conscripts and probably some pros in the conflict area .
The Dragunov ,internationally known as a SVD-Snaiperskaia Vintovka Dragunova-it is interesting that russians took over the english word -sniper -in order to name their semiautomatic scoped rifle is considered a sturdy,reliable and even functional rifle.
The weapon was created by Evghenyi Dragunov between 1958 and 1963 and soon after the ex Warshaw countries were provided with the weapon as a precision marksman rifle.
From my point of view,because I spent many years in the military and I completed a sniper course in a western country I can say SVD is not a real sniper rifle.
It is intended to be used in military symetric warfare-let say for remove some observation points or military commanders of the ennemies.
Please aknowledge that I just give an exemple.
Of course the weapon in very reliable but ,first of all because of semiauto it is not a good sniper rifle-I know some of you would ask what about HK PSG1 308Win which is a semiauto too.
There is a huge difference between the two models because the PSG 1 has a special barrel floating dynamic system .
Secondly,the scope.
PSO 1 is a very poor in terms of tactical features.
Can not be compared ,let say with Leupold Mark 4 LR/T.a 3.5-10x40.
The Romanian PSL is newly chambered for 308 Win which is a good thing tough but I consider that Army could have a better sniper rifle.
It a money related matter.
PMEmail Poster
Zayets
Posted: July 21, 2006 01:17 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

QUOTE (PRAETOR @ July 21, 2006 10:44 am)
I can say SVD is not a real sniper rifle.

100% agree.
PRAETOR
Posted: July 21, 2006 01:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thank you very much,Zayets.
PMEmail Poster
Zayets
Posted: July 21, 2006 02:47 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

You're welcome. I had a chance to fire both M21 and British No4. These are very old models but I will pay more money to have any of these instead of any SVD/PSL.
It just feel different,I don't know how to describe it.
PRAETOR
Posted: July 21, 2006 03:03 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Have you been in the Army?
I have my training done at GIGN so I know about weapons.
I d like to talk to you about that.
You look a pro.
PMEmail Poster
Zayets
Posted: July 21, 2006 03:32 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

I did the army in Romania as there was a mandatory draft and having good scores on shooting they gave me the (cursed) PSL. Don't know what GIGN stands for (I would guess this is the French Special Ops).Funny thing is that you have to carry your own PM even if you carry the PSL. That's another thing which say a lot about the doctrine.
I have shoot the M21 and No4 during a visit to a buddy of mine. I don't know if these are still used today but I liked them (maybe because they were the only foreign sniper guns I ever fired biggrin.gif?)
I'm not too much into this weapon thing, unfortunately I had to do the army while I could do some much more interesting things with my time.
120mm
Posted: July 30, 2006 03:33 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 927

It is interesting to note that the Romanian PSL is not an SVD. It is kind of an accurized RPK, instead. The operating system in the SVD is more complicated. I was the foreign weapons officer for VII Corps in the 1980s and was signed for and trained with a Romanian PSL.

The PSL IS an excellent rifle, imo. It is very accurate, and while the optics are somewhat crude by modern standards, you can adapt modern optics, or go with the new 8X42 PSO scope. I was impressed by the PSO scopes ability to maintain zero when removed and reinstalled. The ejection of spent cartridges is "alarming" to say the least. I had someone walk up to my right side during shooting, once, and he was "stunned" by an ejected cartridge.

As far as semiauto sniper rifles are concerned, the US Marine Corps would desperately like to adapt the Stoner SR25 semi-auto sniper system. While it lacks the absolute accuracy of an M40A3, it has an impressive rate of fire, looks just like the standard infantry weapon to not make the Sniper "stand out" to the casual observer, and is accurate enough for 99.99% of tactical sniper shooting.

I think the PSL as a carbine-length rifle in .308 and modern optics would be a very, very handy arm. The US is doing something similar to that to the M14.

PMEmail Poster
nogras
Posted: February 10, 2007 08:04 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1312

I do not agree the PSL is a poor rifle.
First, it hasn’t been designed as a true sniper rifle. It’s a long range infantry support rifle, designed to engage relevant targets in the combat field (officers, machine gun crews, observers) at distances between 500 to 1000 meters (beyond the effective range of AK assault rifles ). It has to be semiautomatic because it’s a weapon used in direct combat, when a higher rate of fire is a necessity. Thus, it doesn’t need the accuracy of a sniper rifle (at ranges beyond 1000 meters), it’s sturdier (no need for a floating barrel), lighter (it doesn’t require a thick barrel-a necessity for a sniper rifle), easier to maintain and mass produce and cheaper (no need for high-tech machines to produce it). Regarding the distances involved, optics higher than 8X aren’t required (higher magnification would lead to a narrower scope view).
In my opinion the PSL it’s a weapon that fulfils it’s objective even better than the Dragunov. While there is no significant difference in accuracy, the Romanian design is simpler (in fact it's a fed-up RPK rechambered in 7.62x54), hence a weapon witch every infantryman is familiar with.
While the western doctrine use the two men sniper team (marksman and shooter) usually operating isolated, engaging targets at distances beyond 1000 meters, the eastern one has implemented the idea that each squad needs a man equipped with a weapon able to hit significant targets placed near the maximum field combat range (no far than 1000m).
To Zayets (about you carrying both weapons-PM and PSL): I think you’re a special case or, more likely, confused...or just bragging… There has never been an infantryman equipped with the PSL AND THE PM in Romanian Army (except those who grabbed as many weapons and pieces of equipment possible to have that "Rambo" look in photos) . The only infantrymen in Romanian Army that have to carry more than their PM's (beside grenades and sometimes pistols) are those in the RPG or PKM teams (one man carries the RPG/PKM and the other one the three missiles/PKM tripod and ammo cases, beside their PM's).
In Romanian Army a standard infantry squad assembles ten members (beside squad leaders), presented here by their weapons: no1-RPK, no2-RPG, no3-PM and RPG missiles, no4-9-PM’s, no10-PSL. Sometimes no2 and 10 are switched.

This post has been edited by nogras on February 10, 2007 03:29 pm
PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: February 12, 2007 09:29 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

In Romanian Army a standard infantry squad assembles ten members (beside squad leaders), presented here by their weapons: no1-RPK, no2-RPG, no3-PM and RPG missiles, no4-9-PM’s, no10-PSL. Sometimes no2 and 10 are switched.

Can you say something about other nations standard squad? For a compairison?
Thank you,

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0523 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]