Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Georgia vs. Russia
Dénes
Posted: August 13, 2008 05:35 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks.
If you will find more, please share them with us.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
guina
Posted: August 13, 2008 06:38 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Group: Members
Member No.: 1393

Today a Georgian drone was shot down by russians.Most probably is a Hermes 450 belonging to the 8 systems sold by Israel to Georgia.
According to russian sources,all russian planes were shot down by 9k37 Buk-M1 Ural AA systems sold by Ukraine to Georgia.
PMEmail Poster
PanzerKing
Posted: August 13, 2008 07:29 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

I know that the only military jets in the Georgian Air Force are about 35 x Su-25 in three different versions, the most numerous versions being 25 x Su-25K.

This comes from Wikipedia.

This post has been edited by PanzerKing on August 13, 2008 07:30 pm
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
guina
Posted: August 13, 2008 09:07 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

This evening,gen.VVS Mnogovitsin on RTVi
8 planes lost,one ,one to friendly fire due to low quality IFF.
7 russian and osetian helicopters lost.
No TU 22 used.
Colateral damage due to total lack of Ha 555 "inteligent rockets"
Most efectiv"Buk" and Thor" complexes.

The figures most widely cited for Georgian Air Force,betwen 7 and 9 Su 25 and 35 mobile wing aircraft
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: August 14, 2008 02:50 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (IAR80 @ August 12, 2008 02:36 am)
Plus,Saakhashvili is hardly and angel.He has imprisoned opposition members and has shut down Georgian media that is critical of him. You could say he's a Traian Basescu unleashed. .......

Somebody not aware with the politics going on in Romania may think that our parliament and our government are filled with nice angels and candid souls, and president Basescu is the only evil politician on Romania. The Romanian nation proved more realistic than you, at the referendum occured in 2007.

Returning to the Georgian president Saakhashvili, his mistake was not preparing for the worst. Before jumping with the head forward, the Georgians should build fortifications along the border, should install remote controlled explosives on the roads and bridges, should lay minefileds between these roads, and should buy thousands (not tens, as they did) of individual carried (portable) anti-tank and anti-aircraft weaponry. Well, it is too late for that now. It can be argued that these kind of activities (mines, fortifications) could not be kept secret from the Russians, but in such a tense area, with open politic hostility, it would not be abnormal at all.

In comparison, when Hezbollah lured Israel to pick up a fight in 2006, they were prepared for the worst, and that is why they prevailed.

This post has been edited by Florin on August 14, 2008 02:56 am
PM
dead-cat
Posted: August 14, 2008 08:14 am
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 99

i'm still missing the reason for this. why now? the status quo is 16 years old. i haven't seen anything in the past few months that changed the situation to facilitate this military adventure. so why now? why not 2 years ago, or why not in 2 years? blink.gif
PMYahoo
Dénes
Posted: August 14, 2008 10:27 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Could it be the Olympics? Everyone important was either there, or focusing on the games...

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Florin
Posted: August 14, 2008 12:06 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Dénes @ August 14, 2008 05:27 am)
Could it be the Olympics? Everyone important was either there, or focusing on the games...

Gen. Dénes

Looks like this was in the mind of president Saakhashvili, and so he did another miscalculation.
With the telecommunications available today, with video telephones available for commoners, does not matter were a leader is, as a body. Also, the new president of Russia looks like a guy who does not need to wait for advice to take a decision.
Maybe a more reasonable assumption of president Saakhashvili was that the Russians will refrain from action, because it was such a festive day (the Olympics opening ceremony) and everybody was supposed to show his/her peaceful side.

As I previously wrote, the Georgians should take into calculation that the Russians will react, and to be prepared for such a worst case scenario.
PM
guina
Posted: August 14, 2008 12:25 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Anyway,the chinese will hate forever georgian guts.
BTW The railway line which was used to move russian troops to Abkhazia,was repaired and upgraded by a russian railway regiment only 3 month ago after 15 years of disuse,but not put in public use.Also,according to russian press,the 58 army,which in the winter had only half strength,and was manned by contractnics,was brought to full strength with frsh conscripts.Its interesting that since yesterday,some journalists started publicly complaining of lies they were served by military and politicians
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: August 14, 2008 12:34 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (guina @ August 14, 2008 07:25 am)
Anyway,the chinese will hate forever georgian guts.
BTW The railway line which was used to move russian troops to Abkhazia,was repaired and upgraded by a russian railway regiment only 3 month ago after 15 years of disuse,but not put in public use.Also,according to russian press,the 58 army,which in the winter had only half strength,and was manned by contractnics,was brought to full strength with frsh conscripts.....

An Ukrainian guy told me that the Russians were expecting this crisis, they wanted for the bubble to burst, and they cleverly managed the Georgian politicians to trigger them into action.
Looks like a conflict Russia wanted to have.

This post has been edited by Florin on August 14, 2008 12:34 pm
PM
guina
Posted: August 14, 2008 01:43 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Not only expecting but possibly engenered this crisis.
Anyway,,at 4 oclock tv news all the chanels were crying foul,because the chief of UN mission for relief,who is allready for 2 days in Tzkhinvali said that he found evidence for 44 dead and not 1500+
Unconfirmed.
PMEmail Poster
guina
Posted: August 14, 2008 03:39 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: August 14, 2008 04:19 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (dead-cat @ August 14, 2008 08:14 am)
i'm still missing the reason for this. why now? the status quo is 16 years old. i haven't seen anything in the past few months that changed the situation to facilitate this military adventure. so why now? why not 2 years ago, or why not in 2 years? blink.gif

This might give an answer to those questions:

http://www.jamestown.org/publications_deta...&&issue_id=4583

Like in Kosovo, the separatist irregulars engage in provocative attacks and when they get a backlash they complain of being oppressed or victims of aggression. A similar modus operandi can be seen in Gaza or Lebanon.

--------------------
I
PM
guina
Posted: August 14, 2008 05:00 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Good point Imp.
PMEmail Poster
dead-cat
Posted: August 14, 2008 06:24 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 99

somehow i don't buy that. too close. i don't think the georgian military has the capability to operate on such a short notice, especially not with a russian intervention likely (or a massive aid at least).
i wonder if after or during the summit this year in bucharest, georgia wasn'T goaded into this, perhaps to test the russian military capacity.
PMYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0188 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]