Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romania in NATO
mabadesc
Posted: April 28, 2004 12:52 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

Given that the goal of the Warsaw pact was also 100% defensive...

Hmmm....do you really think so?

Chander, your memory regarding political threats is quite selective and illustrates the thought process of liberal western europeans.

It's interesting that you don't forget for a second the past (and present) Nazi threat, but you completely forget the past agressive nature of the former Soviet Union.

Have you forgotten the basic communist concepts of "world revolution", instituting communism through all means necessary - including violence, etc...?

NATO was created to prevent further Soviet expansion in Europe. I highly doubt that the Soviets feared that NATO would invade Eastern Europe and hence formed their Warsaw pact...
PM
Chandernagore
Posted: April 28, 2004 07:37 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 106

Given that the goal of the Warsaw pact was also 100% defensive...

Hmmm....do you really think so?

Chander, your memory regarding political threats is quite selective and illustrates the thought process of liberal western europeans.

I wasn't taking myself seriously you know smile.gif

It's interesting that you don't forget for a second the past (and present) Nazi threat, but you completely forget the past agressive nature of the former Soviet Union.

No I don't forget it. I just don't put them in the same bag. Ideologically they were completely opposing systems.

Have you forgotten the basic communist concepts of \"world revolution\", instituting communism through all means necessary - including violence, etc...?

Bah. Capitalism has been insituted in the west using all means, violence included. That's not where the difference lie.

NATO was created to prevent further Soviet expansion in Europe.  I highly doubt that the Soviets feared that NATO would invade Eastern Europe and hence formed their Warsaw pact...

Probably there was a difference between what the politburo thought and what the common people was left to believe. Oh, wait... can't we say the same about W's admin. ? laugh.gif
PM
mabadesc
Posted: April 28, 2004 06:29 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

Ideologically they were completely opposing systems.  

Would you care to elaborate? How were they completely opposed?

About the aggresive nature of the Soviet Union and the crimes it committed, you said:
Bah.

Then I assume you have the same "Bah" attitude about the 6-9 million jews killed by the Nazis, and the tens of millions of people who died in WWII (Surprising, coming from such a sensitive man who couldn't stand the sight of a german military badge with a swastika on it without being offended).

About the Warsaw pact, you said:
Probably there was a difference between what the politburo thought and what the common people was left to believe.

Well, at least you admit you are part of the "common people" who were fooled by the politburo. laugh.gif
PM
Chandernagore
Posted: April 28, 2004 06:33 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Najroda doesn't miss any opportunity to bring in discussion Transylvanian Hungarians autonomy. Unfortunately, here it is not the right place for such approaches. I think you would be more successful on Hungarian revisionist sites.

I don't think so. Transylvania is part of Rumania. So a Rumanian forum is more appropriate to speak about Transylvanian problems. This has been your own position at times.
PM
Chandernagore
Posted: April 28, 2004 06:50 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Ideologically they were completely opposing systems.  

Would you care to elaborate? How were they completely opposed?

They dearly wanted to destroy each other. The egalitarian nature of the communist doctrine was totally unbearable to the elitist nature of the nazi fantasy world and vice versa. Mein Kampf clearly projects the death of the Soviet Union and the geographical position of the German lebensraum. Stalin (probably) only awaited to be ready to jump at the German's throath as well.

About the aggresive nature of the Soviet Union and the crimes it committed, you said:
Bah.

Then I assume you have the same "Bah" attitude about the 6-9 million jews killed by the Nazis, and the tens of millions of people who died in WWII (Surprising, coming from such a sensitive man who couldn't stand the sight of a german military badge with a swastika on it without being offended).

Not at all. I said "bah" about this :

Have you forgotten the basic communist concepts of \"world revolution\", instituting communism through all means necessary - including violence, etc...?

I simply pointed out that the same arguments you used do apply to capitalism and so they must lack something. This is the straw men strategy. You put words in my mouth that I didn't say or misinterpret my position and then you attack that wrong position. It's easier than to debate the real position.

About the Warsaw pact, you said:
Probably there was a difference between what the politburo thought and what the common people was left to believe.

Well, at least you admit you are part of the "common people" who were fooled by the politburo. laugh.gif

Well, now way you can logically draw that conclusion. Perhaps you can explain to me how you reach it ? But then, anyway, the politburo didn't give a damn about what the west think. They were only interested into what the comrade of the Soviet Republic thought.
PM
dragos
Posted: April 28, 2004 06:50 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I don't think so. Transylvania is part of Rumania. So a Rumanian forum is more appropriate to speak about Transylvanian problems. This has been your own position at times.

To speak about about the problems in Transylvania and in Romania in general, I have nothing against it. But promoting the autonomy of a Romanian region, and implicitly questioning the integrity of the Romanian state, is infringing the Romanian Constitution, let alone the customs imposed by moderators. However, the roots of such demands have the basis on an ill-fated history of this region for Romanians, so as far as you have assisted to these discussion, you probably understood why for the common Romanian, the revisionism regarding Transylvania is pretty equivalent to the Holocaust denial of some individuals (only regarding the outrageousness of this position - of the Transylvania revisionist and the Holocaust denier).
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Chandernagore
Posted: April 28, 2004 07:41 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

To speak about about the problems in Transylvania and in Romania in general, I have nothing against it. But promoting the autonomy of a Romanian region, and implicitly questioning the integrity of the Romanian state, is infringing the Romanian Constitution.

I completely fail to see how regional autonomy question the integrity of the Romanian state. Regional autonomy is but one tool in the arsenal of democracies.
PM
dragos
Posted: April 28, 2004 07:55 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I completely fail to see how regional autonomy question the integrity of the Romanian state. Regional autonomy is but one tool in the arsenal of democracies.

The problem of this kind of discussions (on internet forums) is that there is a large room for interpretations. There is an word: so many opinions as so many people. Being excused for the lack of social-political sciences (both admins are engineers biggrin.gif ), we just try to keep the rules simple.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Alexandru H.
Posted: May 02, 2004 07:54 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Member No.: 57

I would have hoped that this NATO event would have created a little relaxation in the nationalist-revisionist camp. Chandernagore is right, the concept of autonomy is not against democracy. The US' federalism is an extreme autonomy but I don't see any signs of american dissolution. Until a good, viable proof, the only ones that contribute to the destruction of Romania are the VIPs.
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: May 03, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

The US' federalism is an extreme autonomy but I don't see any signs of american dissolution.

With the observatioin that US federalism is not based on ethnic criterias.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Chandernagore
Posted: May 03, 2004 12:54 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

One function of regional autonomy is precisely to solve ethnic troubles before they reach national level :|
PM
johnny_bi
Posted: May 03, 2004 05:56 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

One function of regional autonomy is precisely to solve ethnic troubles before they reach national level

... which is not the case in Romania... maybe in Kosovo.
PM
Chandernagore
Posted: May 03, 2004 06:15 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Not ethnic problem in Cluj or elsewhere.

Understood.

All is well.

Transylvania 100% Rumanian ethnic, no tensions, global harmony.

Roger. Out, definitively.
PM
Alexandru H.
Posted: May 03, 2004 07:38 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Member No.: 57

Ha Ha!!! biggrin.gif

Well, I do think there are ethnic tensions, not only between Romanians and Hungarians, but also between Moldavians, Wallachians and Bucharest-ians... But I view the autonomy as an economical response to the current crisis, which could lead, in time, to better ethnic relations. It's not about ethnicity and I don't know why every freaking person sees himself as an "Ethnic Individual" rather than a "Religious" or "Class Individual". Nations shouldn't be only about that and no one should force you to define yourself as a "romanian" rather than an "orthodox", for example...
PMUsers Website
johnny_bi
Posted: May 03, 2004 10:41 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

Not ethnic problem in Cluj or elsewhere.  

Understood.  

All is well.  

Transylvania 100% Rumanian ethnic, no tensions, global harmony.  

My mistake... smile.gif
Ethnic problem in Cluj... Kinda Kosovo... The enemy use a kinda new Funar aer to aer missile... Better bail out!

What happened to Cluj was more a political circus than ethnic tensions... Or political tensions, not "ethnical tensions" (of course IMHO)... Maybe some guys from Cluj could clearify the matter. As for me, I lived 6 years in Cluj and saw no real ethnical tension.
I think that only in March 1990 Transylvania could have become a Kosovo... And that could have been tragic.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0333 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]