Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rumanian Air Force MiG-29s for sale
Dénes
Posted: April 06, 2004 06:03 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

See article of 'Jurnalul National' (in Rumanian only):
http://www.jurnalul.ro/modules.php?op=modl...rticle&sid=3257
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Florin
Posted: April 07, 2004 03:22 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

I read it.
I think you remember they were ordered in 1990. Iliescu's first regime had better ties with Moskow than Ceausescu's regime.
(In those days when the Romanian president claimed how independent the Romanian policy was, the simple fact of being accepted as customer for the MiG-29 planes refused to Ceausescu's regime rang an alarm bell to some.)

I am not an expert in this field, but I consider the MiG-29 still good, and the decision to sell it as political.
What's next? Some refurbished old US planes?... Possible.
PM
Dénes
Posted: April 07, 2004 03:57 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I think you remember they were ordered in 1990.

AFAIK, the first MiG-29s arrived in late 1989, before the Revolution, thus were ordered by Ceausescu. I didn't check the available sources, though.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Florin
Posted: April 07, 2004 03:19 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

... AFAIK, the first MiG-29s arrived in late 1989, before the Revolution, thus were ordered by Ceausescu. I didn't check the available sources, though.

I did not know.
It seems my mind was influenced by the partisan debates in the first Romanian Parliament. What I mentioned in the previous post was said by Nica Leon in the Parliament, in Spring 1990. He mentioned as I wrote: "refused to the Ceausescu's regime, but approved now".

I am wondering why the Romanian leadership did not issued a simple answer, like yours. Maybe because each part accused the other of 10 bad things every day, so you did not know what to deny first...
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0416 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]