Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romania, Found these pictures...
Caliber
Posted: March 05, 2005 05:18 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 312

I don't know if u know of them or not.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

do u guys know where they were taken? or for that, anything about them?
PM
dragos
Posted: March 05, 2005 05:56 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Fratello, always mention the source of the photos you publish, otherwise they will be deleted.

The third is from the "Signal" magazine.

The fourth and the fifth are from Russian archives. See http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1048
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Dénes
Posted: March 05, 2005 06:04 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Is Caliber and Fratello the same person? ohmy.gif

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Caliber
Posted: March 05, 2005 06:18 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (dragos @ Mar 5 2005, 05:56 PM)
Fratello, always mention the source of the photos you publish, otherwise they will be deleted.

The fourth and the fifth are from Russian archives. See http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1048

oops.

erm im not fratello. but sure.

ok well lets see.

the 1st 3 are from:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/

and the 4th and 5th are from a person webpage

http://cynical_bear.chat.ru/

(googled and found those on that page, just some pics 6 or so from ww2)
PM
Fratello
Posted: March 06, 2005 11:05 am
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 475

Is Caliber and Fratello the same person? 

Gen. Dénes

HERE IS A BIG ERROR. ohmy.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know how is Caliber. And please, Mr Denes, in future don't make same allegation! Don't accuse me without any proof. It's not fair. mad.gif

PMEmail Poster
Fratello
Posted: March 06, 2005 11:14 am
Quote Post

Locotenent

The fourth and the fifth are from Russian archives. See http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=104

...and you too, Dragoş
Please be more carefully when you make same allegation!

and one more time I'M NOT CALIBER AND I DON'T KNOW HOW IS THIS GUY.

Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: March 06, 2005 12:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

It was my mistake. I don't know why I wrote Fratello instead Caliber. My apologize.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Fratello
Posted: March 06, 2005 12:42 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

It was my mistake. I don't know why I wrote Fratello instead Caliber. My apologize.

Ok, Dragoş. I accept your apologize
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: March 06, 2005 02:52 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Fratello @ Mar 6 2005, 05:05 PM)
And please, Mr Denes, in future don't make same allegation! Don't accuse me without any proof. It's not fair.  mad.gif

Mr. Fratello, did you notice the question mark (?) at the end of my sentence? It means that I only questioned Dragos' post, nothing more. dry.gif

BTW, it would be nice to know whom do we actually have the pleasure to?

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on March 06, 2005 02:52 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fratello
Posted: March 06, 2005 04:04 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

QUOTE (Fratello @ Mar 6 2005, 05:05 PM)
And please, Mr Denes, in future don't make same allegation! Don't accuse me without any proof. It's not fair.   

Mr. Fratello, did you notice the question mark (?) at the end of my sentence? It means that I only questioned Dragos' post, nothing more. 

BTW, it would be nice to know whom do we actually have the pleasure to?

Gen. Dénes

Sorry,
First I belived that your question is a rhetorical one, and just after that I saw the Dragos' post (where it was my name).

Fartello
PMEmail Poster
Caliber
Posted: March 06, 2005 07:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

wow he got steamed there.

so anyone know ne thing bout th 1st 2 pics as the rest have been figured out
PM
Caliber
Posted: March 06, 2005 08:21 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

PM
Carol I
Posted: July 09, 2005 10:50 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

This photo has been on eBay a few days ago. It shows extensive destruction to the buildings of a Romanian town (possibly Mărăşeşti as there were other photos in the same lot showing German soldiers visiting the Mărăşeşti Mausoleum). Does anyone have any idea about the cause of the destruction? Was it the result of Soviet or other allied nation aerial bombing?

user posted image
PM
Cristian
Posted: July 11, 2005 07:50 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

The street in the picture is very similar with the Lipscani street in Ploiesti( located downtown) as I remember in my childhood (the 60's) The street and buildings were demolished in the 70's, but I know some bombs hit that area in 1944 Ploiesti bombardment. It's only a personal feeling, with no documentary support.
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 12, 2005 05:35 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

Thanks for your opinion. What made you say that it was Ploieşti? Was it the style of the buildings? Unfortunately I could find many such similarities with commercial streets of other Romanian towns so that a positive identification using only this criterion is not possible.

On the other hand, I think that one could use the sign boards to identify the town. One could read on the sign of the first house "Croitoria Elitei - La Ostas - Ostas Solomon" ("The Tailoring of the Elite - Ostas' - Ostas Solomon") above the door and "Croitorie Militară - ... - Uniforme Şcolare" ("Military Tailoring - ... - School Uniforms") on the sides. On one hand the name of the owner has a Jewish resonance and on the other hand it is unusual (at least for me). This should narrow the search, namely to a tailor's workshop belonging to one (Jewish) Ostas Solomon. I know that is not unusual that a place bears the name of the old owner long after the ownership ceased or changed (especially when the previous/first owner was a very skilled craftsman), so it could happen that someone remembers this workshop according to the old name it bore before/during the war. The problem is that one may have to seek the help of the older generation to crack this nut and unfortunately this is harder and harder with each passing day.

What about the Mărăşeşti hypothesis? As I said before, in the same lot there were several photos showing German soldiers visiting the nearby mausoleum of the soldiers fallen in the fights carried out in the area during WWI, thus suggesting that the owner was stationed there and that he had the opportunity to record a fragment from the life of the town.

user posted image
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0935 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]