Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ploesti Descriptions, Romanian accounts of Ploesti 1944
Barrett
Posted: July 03, 2012 01:20 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3339

I'm a professional author writing a history of the US 15th Air Force, and I would like to include some Romanian first-person accounts between April and August 1944. Any English language descriptions would be welcome, especially from Ploesti area oil refinery, flak or smoke screen ("passive defense") personnel. The accounts do not need to be very long.

Thank you for any leads.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: July 03, 2012 05:00 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Barrett @ July 03, 2012 07:20 am)
I'm a professional author writing a history of the US 15th Air Force...

That's a welcomed news! Unbelievable, except for Kenn C. Rust's rather thin and dated volume of the 15th AAF, no other book tackles this highly interesting and vast topic.

I wrote a couple of books on the Rumanian air force, in English, where details on the air battles against the 15th AAF can be found. A new book of mine on the Hungarian armed forces will also have a chapter detailing the air war over Hungary in 1944/1945.

Also, I assisted Jay Stout in writing his book on the air war on 'Fortress Ploesti' with info and photos. That would be a good source to check out.

Good luck with your project and please keep us updated on the progress.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on July 03, 2012 05:09 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Barrett
Posted: July 08, 2012 01:12 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3339

Denes, thank you for your reply. I refer to your books often, and Jay's study of the Ploesti missions is an excellent summary.

It's still remarkable that half of the US strategic bombing campaign remains largely unknown, other than the Red Tails who probably receive more attention than the 15th's other 26 groups! It seems remarkable that WW II history contains significant gaps 70 years later, but my Civil War friends say we're still learning things about that.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0394 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]