Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Israeli lost submarine found
C-2
Posted: May 21, 2005 02:39 am
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

In Ianuary 1968,a Israeli submarin the "Dakar"left Southhampton via Gibraltar to the port city of Haifa.
Somewhere in the Mediteranian all contact with the 69 crew was lost.
There were a lot of vehiculations of "kidnapped by Russians or extraterestial civilizations and all sort of.....
It happened that in Mai Juin 1999 ,I was on a 14 days trip to Israel.
I was at an ex colleg cabinet,when his patient ( a retired hight ranking navy officer)got an urgent call on his cell,and told Sorin that he has an emergency and has to leave at once and asked us not to ask any questions .
Sorin became nervos since he knew that his patient was retired for quite a while,and if there was an emergency is could be very bad.
A day later we heard on news that the Dakar was found near the Greak island of Create.
It hapens that for 31 years the Israeli navy and inteligence looked for any informations about the faith of the 69 sailors.
An israeli navy oficer looked for 18 years after the sub.and refussed to be promoted in order to keep his reseache.(after he found it he left the navy).
I'm writing this because I just saw a docum.on N.Geog.about the Dakar.
At the end the showed the tombstones of the sailors.Only we demolish military cemetries.I'd like us to give only half of the respect that other countries give to their soldiers..

This post has been edited by C-2 on May 21, 2005 02:41 am
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: May 21, 2005 08:20 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

So what was the cause of the sinking? You didn't mention it.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
C-2
Posted: May 21, 2005 08:31 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

From what I understood,nobody knows for sure;Some experts say that the front part of the sub.(the torpedo tubs)suddenly were filled with water,and the sub.sunk till broke in two.
A pacient of mine(not the same that I met in Israel) who also was an oficer in the Israeli navy,had a dif.opinion;the Dakar's bridge hit a ship from benith,while emercing.
PMUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: May 23, 2005 05:42 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

Wasn't a book with this subject, published in Romania?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: May 23, 2005 11:41 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Member No.: 144

Iama

The subject of the book published in Romania was about a ship sunk by a submarine near the Turkey border in WWII.
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: May 23, 2005 12:06 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Member No.: 144

In Ianuary 1968,a Israeli submarin the "Dakar"left Southhampton via Gibraltar to the port city of Haifa.
Somewhere in the Mediteranian all contact with the 69 crew was lost.
There were a lot of vehiculations of "kidnapped by Russians or extraterestial civilizations and all sort of.....
It happened that in Mai Juin 1999 ,I was on a 14 days trip to Israel.
I was at an ex colleg cabinet,when his patient ( a retired hight ranking navy officer)got an urgent call on his cell,and told Sorin that he has an emergency and has to leave at once and asked us not to ask any questions .
Sorin became nervos since he knew that his patient was retired for quite a while,and if there was an emergency is could be very bad.
A day later we heard on news that the Dakar was found near the Greak island of Create.
It hapens that for 31 years the Israeli navy and inteligence looked for any informations about the faith of the 69 sailors.
An israeli navy oficer looked for 18 years after the sub.and refussed to be promoted in order to keep his reseache.(after he found it he left the navy).
I'm writing this because I just saw a docum.on N.Geog.about the Dakar.
At the end the showed the tombstones of the sailors.Only we demolish military cemetries.I'd like us to give only half of the respect that other countries give to their soldiers..

In my opinion the submarine crews from all countries were brave sailors. Sailing through unknown deep waters and facing with danger situations everyday. Many of them were lost on duty and today are lying on the bottom of the seas in their ship like a common grave waiting in silent for someone to find them .

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on May 23, 2005 12:21 pm
PM
C-2
Posted: May 23, 2005 06:24 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Iamandi @ May 23 2005, 05:42 AM)

Iama

I think you are refering to a book and a movie made after the book with Paul Newman(if I'm not mistaken).I forgot the name of the ship...
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: May 23, 2005 06:28 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Israeli forensic doctors ,took samples,to know if there are human remains inside the sub.The results were negative.
The brige was brougt up,after a day of hard work,and taken to the port of Haifa,31 years late.
Now he is exhibit at the Navy museum in Haifa.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0335 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]