Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Upgraded Romanian Jet Trainer Rolled Out
AlexC
Posted: April 28, 2006 02:24 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 786

Avioane Craiova and Elbit Systems Announce the Rollout of IAR-99 Training Aircraft for the Romanian Air Force

(Source: Elbit Systems Ltd.; issued April 27, 2006)

HAIFA, Israel --- Elbit Systems Ltd. and Avioane Craiova yesterday held the rollout ceremony of the 1st IAR-99 SOIM training aircraft of LOT II.

The SOIM aircraft was developed for the Romanian Air Force by the Romanian aircraft manufacturer Avioane Craiova SA and was upgraded by Elbit Systems.

The ceremony took place in Craiova, Romania, with the auspices of senior Romanian government officials, high ranked Romanian Air Force officers and local Romanian industry representatives.

The IAR-99 is equipped with Elbit's advanced avionics systems, including the Virtual Training package ACTS (Advanced Combat Training System).

The aircraft will be used by the Romanian Air Force as a trainer and for Close Air Support (CAS) missions.

The advanced training features of the aircraft allow the Romanian Air Force to train its pilots for the modernized MIG 21 aircraft as well as for the next generation fighter combat aircraft.

This SOIM LOT II program follows a previous upgrade of 4 IAR-99 SOIM aircraft that were already delivered to the customer and are operational, to the full satisfaction of the customer.

A joint venture of the Romanian industry Avioane Craiova SA and Elbit Systems with the involvement of 3 other Romanian industries, the IAR-99 SOIM LOT II program provided employment to over a thousand Romanian employees.

The production of the IAR-99 SOIM took place in Avioane Craiova’s facility in Romania.

Elbit Systems supplied the modern avionics systems and support services, part of which are produced at Elbit's Romanian facilities.

Elbit Systems Ltd. is an international defense electronics company engaged in a wide range of defense-related programs throughout the world. The Elbit Systems Group, which includes the company and its subsidiaries, operates in the areas of aerospace, land and naval systems, command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance ("C4ISR"), advanced electro-optic and space technologies, EW suites, airborne warning systems, ELINT systems, data links and military communications systems and equipment. The Group also focuses on the upgrading of existing military platforms and developing new technologies for defense and homeland security applications.

www.defense-aerospace.com
PMEmail Poster
Hadrian
Posted: April 29, 2006 08:35 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 875

O veste buna pentru avion bun. Care va fi numarul total?
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: April 29, 2006 08:54 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Hadrian @ Apr 29 2006, 09:35 PM)
O veste buna pentru avion bun. Care va fi numarul total?

5. All posts must be written in English. All text written in other language will be deleted, except for those instances where no other option was objectively possible.
PM
Hadrian
Posted: April 29, 2006 11:09 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

I`m sorry.

I was meaning:
A good news for a good aircraft. Which will be the total number of aircraft built?
PMEmail Poster
Burner
Posted: April 30, 2006 09:39 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 881

From what I know, there was an initial contract back in '98 for the production of 40 IAR-99C Şoims out of which 24 were supposed to be delivered by 2001, but this was reconsidered due to lack of money. sad.gif
A new contract for 4 aircraft was signed in 2000 and the aircraft were delivered in 2003. The delivered aircraft were numbers: 719, 720, 721 and 722. This was Lot I
In 2004, a second contract was signed for the Lot II, consisting of 8 aircraft ( 723, 711, 712, 724, 717, 709, 725, 713). I guess that Avioane Craiova went ahead of schedule, cause on MApN's site it says the first aircraft of Lot II is due to be delivered in May 2006, with the later at four month interval by August 2008.

This post has been edited by Burner on April 30, 2006 09:42 am
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Hadrian
Posted: May 02, 2006 09:56 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Thanks, Burner.
PMEmail Poster
NASH
Posted: June 14, 2006 11:03 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 947

The plane should have a radar...something like "look down shoot down"..., and it should carry more weapons.., the engine is too old and not powerfull enough..a new engine would be good....,something like L 159 ALCA upgrade..
The main purpose of this plane must be CAS instead training...it need some fangs !!! ...more fangs..., otherwise is a good plane... , an "one pilot" variant could be an interesting one... , longer range..., and also an IFR-probe would be good...what do you think ?
PMEmail Poster
tomcat1974
Posted: June 14, 2006 11:23 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

The purpose of the plane was trainer. Way would we need to add more weapons, more powerfull engines , IFR in it? It is a good plane for its role. Sad part is that it will not have any external sales. That market area is way crouded.
PMEmail Poster
NASH
Posted: June 14, 2006 11:33 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 947

...just because of selling it abroad..!!.., nobody will buy a trainer only..., the market wants a cheap CAS and trainer as potent as it can be..., the market for it would be not very reach countries...so they have no money to spear...
PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: June 14, 2006 11:45 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

As CAS, those trainers will can't face the AAA or SAMs in a conflict. Maybe, as counterinsurgency/guerilla they will have more chances but... i bet on a Strella fired by a paramilitary/partisan/terrorist, etc. and not on a IAR 99, HAWK, or ALCA.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Zayets
Posted: June 14, 2006 11:58 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

It depends. With a bit of discipline it is entirely possibile to avoid Strella fire. Intelligence plays a major role here. If the intelligence on the ground specifically states there are such threats in the area you should plan your tactics accordingly. And do not deviate from it,otherwise ...
Of course, I speak here about the shoulder mounted one. The ones vehicle carried can be spotted much more easy from above.
I wouldn't think like that (not using IAR 99 for CAS missions) because every aircraft flying down below is basically exposed to the same threat. IR jammers are not that effective (for the moment). Look at another trainer , T/A-37 . succesfully converted in a nice CAS/Recce/Patrol platform. This aircraft is a very well known sight in the South American jungles. Of course, there's no CAS in a real war situation, but something along the line.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
tomcat1974
Posted: June 14, 2006 12:44 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

QUOTE (Zayets @ Jun 14 2006, 11:58 AM)
It depends. With a bit of discipline it is entirely possibile to avoid Strella fire. Intelligence plays a major role here. If the intelligence on the ground specifically states there are such threats in the area you should plan your tactics accordingly. And do not deviate from it,otherwise ...
Of course, I speak here about the shoulder mounted one. The ones vehicle carried can be spotted much more easy from above.
I wouldn't think like that (not using IAR 99 for CAS missions) because every aircraft flying down below is basically exposed to the same threat. IR jammers are not that effective (for the moment). Look at another trainer , T/A-37 . succesfully converted in a nice CAS/Recce/Patrol platform. This aircraft is a very well known sight in the South American jungles. Of course, there's no CAS in a real war situation, but something along the line.

Well depends a lot of many factors...CAS is donr by armoured planes (Su-25, A-10, A-5 Fantan). IAR-99 is not designed for that, COIN maybe.

I am not sure about 99C Soim upgrade. What i've read is that it place it as trainner for Lancers A and C. SO it might be capable of using some PGM ammo (in theory).
PMEmail Poster
Zayets
Posted: June 14, 2006 12:57 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

QUOTE (tomcat1974 @ Jun 14 2006, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Zayets @ Jun 14 2006, 11:58 AM)

Well depends a lot of many factors...CAS is donr by armoured planes (Su-25, A-10, A-5 Fantan). IAR-99 is not designed for that, COIN maybe.

I am not sure about 99C Soim upgrade. What i've read is that it place it as trainner for Lancers A and C. SO it might be capable of using some PGM ammo (in theory).

Of course IAR 99 is not designed for CAS missions. It is for that I suggested a conversion (same as A-37) to make the type available for CAS missions. And not war situation, but the same role A-37 have now. Both have no armor (compared with A10 or Su25) so I think it is quite an interesting comparison here. CAS is dangerous, with or without armor.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0325 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]