Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rumanian Parade Sword with Cypher of King Michael
Dénes
Posted: January 18, 2006 05:18 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

A Croatian collector, Zlatko, has asked me to post photos of his sword, along with the question: "what model of sword is this, from which year, who wore it and in which time period."

Gen. Dénes

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: January 19, 2006 03:40 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 198

There are so many different variations of Romanian swords. I have yet to see an in depth study on the subject. This sword from what I can see is an officers dress parade sword. German Made import from Solingen circa 1941 based on the new version of the King Michael cypher. Who wore this pattern ? I am still trying to figure it out. From period photos, I have yet to determine a standard rule for which branch of the service wore which pattern sword. Navy, Air Force and Cavalry swords are self explanitory. Others appear to me to be inconsistant for wear. Guard regiments would be consistant where all officers would wear the same pattern sword. But from one Guard regiment to another, the patterns would be different. As for line regiments, I look at unit group photos and each officer would be wearing a different pattern sword for which I cannot explain. Did officers have to buy their own swords ? This would explain the inconsistancies in sword design and quality. This example here I would consider to be a high quality purchase piece.

This post has been edited by REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR on January 19, 2006 01:17 pm
PMYahooMSN
Kepi
Posted: January 20, 2006 07:41 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 680

QUOTE (Dénes @ Jan 18 2006, 05:18 PM)
A Croatian collector, Zlatko, has asked me to post photos of his sword, along with the question: "what model of sword is this, from which year, who wore it and in which time period."

Gen. Dénes

By the Royal Decree nr. 577 of February 20th, 1909, the M.1893 curved swords of the Romanian army officers were modified, and a new model was adopted with a straight blade, two opposite sling rings and a white metal hilt. In campaign the sword scabbard should be blackened. Because these new swords were too expensive, by the Minsterial Decision nr. 164 of May 13th, the old M.1893 curved swords still could be carried but their hilt had to be nickelled and the two stringed sling rings of the scabbard had to be replaced by two opposite rings.

As before, most Romanian swords were produced by different companies in Solingen such as Carl Eickhorn and Alex. Coppel, to name only a few. Some companies, such as Pack Chliger & Co. of Solingen used Spanish blades produced by the royal arsenal of Toledo. The blades should bear the King cipher (usually the monogram of the King who ruled when the officer graduated the military school), the kingdom coat of arms, different variants of floral ornaments and in some special situations, the name of the officer if the sword was received as an award for some merits.

These swords were ordered by local armourers, in small quantities, to different producers according the needs of new graduates. So, many variants of swords exist.

During WW1 officers carried different models of swords: M.1893, M.1893/09, M. 1909 and many other French models produced by private factories during the war for reserve officers.

After WW1 the dagger was adopted as the campaign side weapon for officers, the sword remain the weapon to be carried only for ceremonial occasions. The 1930 uniforms regulation gave the same description for the officer swords as for the M.1909 pattern. In fact, some changes were made to the M.1909 pattern: the eagle head of the pommel was sometimes replaced by a lion head (a german influence) according the personal taste of the officer and the exterior side of the hilt could be folded in order to be not very uncomfortable when was carried.

These swords were used until 1948 when the new uniforms regulation abolished the sword carrying. From the beginning of 1950s, the honour guard officers carried soviet M.1926 Shashkas. In 1964, when the 30th Guard Regiment was set up, dressed with new uniforms, the M.1930 officer swords saw service again. At the beginning there were old royal Guard swords on which the old royal symbols were removed, later a few tens were ordered at the Carl Eickhorn of Solingen, decorated with the lion head on the pommel.

The Croatian collector's weapon might be a M.1909/30 officer sword, produced just before or during WW2 (as it bears the King Michael's cross). The producer name/symbol is engraved on the upper part of the blade, just bellow the hilt. This sword could be carried by any Army (ground forces) officer. Air Force and Navy had different models.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: January 20, 2006 02:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Thanks, Képi, for the exhaustive reply. The Croatian fellow will surely be glad with it.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0534 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]