Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ww2 german canten
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 06, 2006 10:56 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 398

Hello Mihnea I sea this is a german ww2 canten. Can you tell me if the cap is original because I haven't seen a cap like this in the german army. I hope you don't mind that I cut your picture. biggrin.gif

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Dragos1984
Posted: February 06, 2006 02:01 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 168

ive seen those kind of canteens befor with the small cap.
by my oppinion its that this canteen is Original. i belive that they were issued to the SA regiment in 1940. GREAT FIND! something like that sell's on ebay for $60 USD. look for marking on the bottle or underneth the cap.

Dragos cool.gif
PMYahooMSN
mihnea
Posted: February 06, 2006 03:07 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 6 2006, 09:49 AM)
I'm here new so... Hello everybody! Nice to meet you smile.gif
I was wondering if anyone of you could help me... Yesterday I received a canteen which I identified as a romanian canteen (the same as shown above). It's my first contact with romanian equipment (apart from romanian 7,92x57 mm ammunition) so I'm in need... My canteen was found in a river, where she probably spent 60 years. I can't find on its surface any markings (year of production, manufacturer?)and thats the point - could you enlight me, whether this canteens were marked or not? And if yes, where should I look for this markins? 60 years in a river, erosion might have smoothed it... It doesn,t have a cap, the paint is history... But for me it's a sort of treasure :]
So... If anyone could help me - don't be ashamed, just do it!
Kind regards from Poland
Michael

My canteen seems to have no markings, most of the romanian WWII equipment dindn't had markings, not including the unifroms.

@Claudiu1988
The was used in WWII by the german army it was made from baklite in three colors green, black and orange (the last two tipes ar very rare). I bought it last summer from milytary fair in Belgium from a german guy for 5euro I it looks very authentic, but it could be a copy.

user posted image

The German canteen is original 90% (excluding the cap) only the leather was changed as the original one was incomplete and in pieces. In fact the canteen is made from two different canteens (one from '35 and one from '41) the canteen it self is from '35 the cloth is from '41 and the hook and buckle from '35.
I also have a ‘41 aluminum cap partially painted black, canteen and the leather strap complete but this one is stiff; and the cloth from the ’35 one, eaten by moths.
PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 06, 2006 06:27 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Yes I didn't said that this Isn't original but I haven't seen this kind of cantens. My opinion is that you made a mistake by changing the leather and the other pieces. You should let the items as you find them. I olso found this kind of objects but I let them as they where find. I hope you don't mind telling you this.
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: February 06, 2006 07:13 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

I might of have made a mistake by changing the leather, but the previous owner mutilated sad.gif the strap so badly that I couldn’t even remove it without tearing it apart and adding a coup aluminum or backlit was impossible.
I hope that this picture will make you understand the condition of the canteen when I bought it; the cloth was in decent condition even if it has a hole 2cm in diameter.

user posted image

This post has been edited by mihnea on February 07, 2006 03:02 pm
PMEmail Poster
Baron
Posted: February 07, 2006 03:41 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 812

Thanks guys for your replies. BTW, do romanian canteens have a full name, I mean for example "canteen mod. 38" or we have to call them "pre-II world war canteens"?
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: February 07, 2006 08:03 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 7 2006, 03:41 PM)
Thanks guys for your replies. BTW, do romanian canteens have a full name, I mean for example "canteen mod. 38" or we have to call them "pre-II world war canteens"?

Probably they had but no one knows them any more, even the museologists from MMN don't know.
In fact the MMN has no WWII canteens, but I doubt it, they probably don't now that they have them; no one ever made any researches on this subject.
PMEmail Poster
Wings_of_wrath
Posted: February 09, 2006 03:18 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 809

A romanian canteen in good condition is indeed a rather rare find.

I have a few german WW2 ones, one from the DDR (Deuches Democratische Republik), as well as some american canteens. Unfortunately, one of my ww2 ones is missing its cup. It's a 1941 SMM, so the cup should be aluminium painted black.
If anybody has an extra one they don't need and want to sell, please contact me via PM.

Claudiu, can you please tell me what markings does that canteen with the bakelite cup have? Could it be a 1941 SSL?

I also found this theread on another forum showing the same kind of water bottle http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...hlight=canteens
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
mihnea
Posted: February 09, 2006 02:33 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

QUOTE (Wings_of_wrath @ Feb 9 2006, 03:18 AM)
Claudiu, can you please tell me what markings does that canteen with the bakelite cup have? Could it be a 1941 SSL?

I also found this theread on another forum showing the same kind of water bottle http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...hlight=canteens

The canteen belongs to me and, as I already sad, it is made from two canteens and the cup doesn’t belong to either, it was bought separately.

There are many types of German WWII canteens and even more factories that made them.
PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 11, 2006 04:46 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Hello I found this ww2 german canten in an abandond house in the old part of Constanta. It's differnt from my other one because it has a flat part. What do you think?

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 11, 2006 04:48 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 11, 2006 04:50 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
  Posted: February 11, 2006 06:45 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

QUOTE (Claudiu1988 @ Feb 11 2006, 04:50 PM)
user posted image

ohmy.gif The one on the left (that also has the cup the wrong way round) is unusual, not the one on the right, it should have a dent on the back to help the stability when worn.
PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 11, 2006 07:48 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

I didn't know that that was the unusual one, It's marked "FSS41". I bought it from an antik market for 60 ron. Here are some photos with the canten.(not very good quality)

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Claudiu1988
Posted: February 11, 2006 07:50 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0599 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]