Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> crash site WW2, trying to gather information
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 28, 2013 12:09 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Shoo_Baby_%28B-17%29

Could be Jersey Girl, Holy Hammer...
http://www.b17pbemgame.com/Mission_AARs/AA...n_61_Brasov.htm
http://www.b17pbemgame.com/Missing_Scrapped__Aircraft.htm

Petre, there is no B-17 "Shoo Shoo Baby" shot down over Romania.

The other links are fictional planes and missions from a internet game.
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 28, 2013 12:10 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

- usaaf had canadians enlisted?

Probably the old man misunderstood what the US pilot was yelling. So I would exclude the word "Canada" from the story mayby the pilot yelled the name of his wife or the county ( peasant don't know so much about USA names).

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on February 28, 2013 12:19 pm
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 28, 2013 01:13 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

some years ago i listened a ww2 story told by a old man living in Calugareni, Prahova County. the action takes part in the same village.

If there was a dead airman as the old man said it should be first buried in the village cemetery ( Calugareni ?)
You can check with the village priest the records of burials for the year 1944.
Also more info you can ask other old people from the village.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on February 28, 2013 06:08 pm
PM
Petre
Posted: February 28, 2013 01:28 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 2434

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ February 28, 2013 12:09 pm)
Petre, there is no B-17 "Shoo Shoo Baby" shot down over Romania.
The other links are fictional planes...

Yes indeed, it is very clear !
(And I found they were 3 B-17 named S.S.B.)
PMEmail Poster
Alexandru C.
Posted: February 28, 2013 01:36 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 3326

If I compare the mosquito with the stallion, numerically speaking, 327 planes shoot down It is not a little!
PMEmail Poster
zaherr
Posted: March 02, 2013 08:44 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3475

@ cantacuzino: congratulations for your work!
have you read the story of that american pow that i posted in the link "i was shot down over romania" ? it must be from the crew that crashed near my grandparents village.
in 24 july 1944 must been a big raid to ploiesti. i had a little peek in some records from that days. and in that day has four entries at deaths field (morti):
no name for neither crew member just "anglo-american airman (aviator anglo-american)", and the death cause, "crashed near Corlatesti"(prabusit cu avionul langa corlatesti). i'm curious what your database says about this crash. smile.gif
p.s. in the same record book i saw the name of a 23 yo villager who died in the western front the entries were like this"
"name, surname" 92'nd heavy infantry division, 1944 contingent., dead on the front (i forgot the place sad.gif ) , cause of death, direct hit by artillery shell. what a horrible death. i hope his soul rests in peace somewhere and also the souls of all fallen romanian soldiers on all fronts.
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 02, 2013 09:31 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

in 24 july 1944 must been a big raid to ploiesti. i had a little peek in some records from that days. and in that day has four entries at deaths field (morti):
no name for neither crew member just "anglo-american airman (aviator anglo-american)", and the death cause, "crashed near Corlatesti"(prabusit cu avionul langa corlatesti). i'm curious what your database says about this crash.

From what records you have that info ?

Indeed another B-24 crashed near Carlatesti ( Raiosul forest) on that day. The dead airmen were buried in Berceni cemetery.
PM
zaherr
Posted: March 02, 2013 03:31 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

i have a friend who works at ploiesti archive. he let me peek in some records. can you please tell me the name of the a/c who crashed in that forest?
thanks!
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 02, 2013 06:11 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

i have a friend who works at ploiesti archive. he let me peek in some records. can you please tell me the name of the a/c who crashed in that forest?
thanks!

The a/c didn't have a name. Not all bombers got a name.

You are very lucky with your friend working at Ploesti archive. You could ask him to help you to peek in records for more info about war reports for Ploesti area. wink.gif
PM
Radub
Posted: March 02, 2013 08:30 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

The most accurate method is to use serial numbers, pilots and units to identify planes.
The nicknames were seldom officially entered into official records. They were just decorations added by the pilots, often temporary.
Think of it like advertisements on a bus: if a bus is decorated with an advertisement for Milka Chocolate or Bere Bucegi, what is recorded by "dispecerat" is the licence plate number, driver's name and route number.
HTH
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
zaherr
Posted: March 03, 2013 06:47 am
Quote Post

Soldat

thanks for the answers guys! i will go for a bigger peek when i have more time. he told me military archives have more info but it's off limits.
can you tell me the serial number of that aircraft? i guess it's from 450 bg like shoo shoo baby, no?
PMEmail Poster
zaherr
Posted: June 19, 2018 11:28 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Right...
Hi again guys. The years have passed and I still didn't forgot about the story told by the old man ( please read my previous posts on this thread).
I don't live in Romania anymore so that's why it took me so long to get to the village hall archives. I feel like I'm one step closer as I have a date!!! Found in the deaths register the family killed by the jettisoned? bombs on June 6th 1944 at 9 AM,, 4 people killed by aviation bombing (bombardament aerian) all found incinerated (so guess the bombs exploded afterall). However, no entries for the dead airman so either there were no deaths or the plane crashed in the neighbouring village territory ?
Done my own research and found only one downed plane fits the 'description' but not completely (attacked by multiple a/c, date and time correct, one crew died as the parachute failed to open, jettisoned bombs but crashed miles away East of Dragoslavele so I don't think it's the right plane). The plane was flown by Lt Ullman, B24 s/n 41-29410.
I'm curious what @Cantacuzino or someone else have in their records for this date.
Thx, looking forward hearing back from you and thx for reading.
Dan
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0844 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]