Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Digging up the past..., Knowing my grandfather
Arwen
Posted: June 04, 2008 07:55 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 2154

Hello, I'm new around here. smile.gif

I would like to ask for help...I want to do a research on my grandfather, as he died two years before I was born, in 1984, and I never got to know him. He fought in the World War 2 but he never told my family anything about what he had done because he hated to talk about it. And they never inquired either...

I would like to search some archives and find some data about what he did, perhaps some pictures in uniform too (he destroyed all the pictures in uniform he had). Where should I go, who should I talk to? Are such archives available to the general public?

Thank you very much, I hope you can help me.

P.S: I shall try to post a picture of him at some time...
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: June 04, 2008 10:04 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You can adress the Romanian Military Archives, located in Pitesti. The full adress is:
str. Aleea Poarta Eroilor, nr. 14, Pitesti, jud. Arges, Romania

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Arwen
Posted: June 04, 2008 02:33 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thank you very much. I will do that and see what I can find out...

But are you sure about this? I just read an arcticle about 20 000 unsolved requests made to the Romanian Military Archives for various reasons. Those were about more important things than a young woman's curiosity about her grandfather... It might take ages till I get an answer or they might put me on the rain check for ever...

The arcticle is dated almost a year ago:
http://www.gandul.info/actual/arhivele-arm...tml?3927;892180

Do you know anyone who wrote a letter to the Romanian Military Archives? Did they receive an answer? How long did it take?

Thank you again. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Arwen on June 04, 2008 03:00 pm
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: June 04, 2008 03:19 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I wasn't talking about writing a letter. I was talking about actually going to Pitesti and doing the research yourself.

It depends if your grandfather was a professional soldier or not. If he was, then using the name, date and place of birth you can search if there is a file on him in the archives and ask to see it the second time you come by.

If he wasn't, then it will be pretty difficult, especially if he wasn't an officer.
Arwen
Posted: June 04, 2008 03:19 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I forgot: I suppose you have access to a few databases. Can you find anywhere the names of the men in the Chivalry Division and perhaps a little information about them, like where they were from, etc. My grandfather was there.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/oob/?section=13

I'm sure many other people would appreciate this and find it easier to identify their relatives and understand the role they had in the war... It brings a whole new meaning to our perception of the past, our heroes and the way they lived in a time when the world was changing...

Thank you again.

P.S: Yes, he was an officer...

This post has been edited by Arwen on June 04, 2008 03:25 pm
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: June 05, 2008 01:16 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

I forgot: I suppose you have access to a few databases. Can you find anywhere the names of the men in the Chivalry Division and perhaps a little information about them, like where they were from, etc. My grandfather was there.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/oob/?section=13

I'm sure many other people would appreciate this and find it easier to identify their relatives and understand the role they had in the war... It brings a whole new meaning to our perception of the past, our heroes and the way they lived in a time when the world was changing...

Thank you again.

P.S: Yes, he was an officer...

What is the name of your grand father.
I have a book about Romanian Cavalry in WWII, "File din istoria Cavaleriei si Tancurilor din armata romana" authors G-ral Emil Ghorghita and col. George Gheorghiu. Mayby I could find some data about your grandfather in it.
PM
21 inf
Posted: June 05, 2008 06:29 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

Hi, Arwen!

I recomend what Victor said, to go personally to the archives, you have a better chance to dig some info.
I have a book written by Vladimir Boanta, WW2 cavalry officer from Grupul 52 Cercetare Cavalerie "Razboiul in amintirile mele", maybe he mentioned your grandfather in his book.
What was the name of your grandpa?
Messerschmitt
Posted: June 05, 2008 03:45 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

I also have a book of memories from a ww2 cavalryman, " Cu Divizia 8 cavalerie in Vest" by Locotenent-colonel Gheorghe Magherescu, maybe if yiu give us more details ( name, rank, unit,etc) we can help you.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
guina
Posted: June 05, 2008 05:19 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 1393

Lt.col Gheorghe Magherescu is the same person as George Magherescu from the staf of Marshal Antonescu?
PMEmail Poster
Arwen
Posted: June 05, 2008 06:19 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thank you everyone for your support.

His name was Emil Aelenei and he was a Captain when he retired. I wonder if there is anything about him in one of your books...
PMEmail Poster
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: June 06, 2008 08:08 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 53

QUOTE (guina @ June 05, 2008 07:19 pm)
Lt.col Gheorghe Magherescu is the same person as George Magherescu from the staf of Marshal Antonescu?

It seems that he isn't. But i didn't read all the book. Only the back cover...
BM
PMMSN
Arwen
Posted: June 10, 2008 04:23 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Cantacuzino, 21_inf, Messerschmitt, have you had some spare time to look in your books and see if you can find anything about my grandfather? His name was Emil Aelenei and he was a Captain when he retired.

Sorry for my impatience but I'm so eager to uncover the mystery... I only found out recently about him having fought in the Cavalry. I have loved horses ever since I was a child and my most precious dream was learning to ride. I finally did that when I went to College in Bucharest (I couldn't do equitation in my home town and I didn't have grandparents in the contryside), and I went as far as the dressage. It was a rather unusual hobby because none of my relatives were fond of horses and we often argued because they thought I shall fall and break my neck. I didn't care about the danger, I was fearless-that's why I got to learn very fast.

Then I found out about my grandfather and I was impressed to tears - I'm sure I've got my passion for horses from him. He must have been very brave - he won several medals, including "Steaua Romaniei". But I used to think he was in the Infantry, I never knew what we had in common - at least until now...

I want him to be remembered, and not only as a family man, a great husband and father, but also as a hero. He is an important part of my history and his actions will be forgotten for ever if I don't find about them now. I just hope it's not too late - all the people who knew him must have died... All this, added to my lifelong frustration that I was never able to talk to my grandfather and find out about the past. He could have taught me so many things...

All I have left is his whip, a beautiful leather whip with a silver horse head at one end. And a pile of photographs, of which only a few in his uniform. And the hope that I will learn someday how he won those beautiful medals, and the role he had in the World War 2...

This post has been edited by Arwen on June 10, 2008 04:24 pm
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: June 10, 2008 07:07 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

Arwen, your wish to remember your grandpa is very noble.

You can try to dig for info at "Asociatia Veteranilor de Razboi" from the hometown of your grandpa. They may have some info about him or, who knows, maybe some veterans who knew him are still alive. I was at AVR on my home town asking for help in order to contact veterans for interviews and the president of local AVR was very supportive, he gave me contacts I needed. I ended interviewing two veterans from ww2 following the phone numbers and names provided by the president of local AVR. Those interviews can be readed on this very site.

I will let you know a.s.a.p about any relevant info from the book I have.
Cantacuzino
Posted: June 10, 2008 09:50 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Cantacuzino, 21_inf, Messerschmitt, have you had some spare time to look in your books and see if you can find anything about my grandfather? His name was Emil Aelenei and he was a Captain when he retired.

Hi Arwen,

I looked in my book and I didn't find your grandfather name. Unfortunetly there is no list with all "cavalry" officers names.

As "21inf" adviced you it's better to ask at "Asociatia Veteranilor de Razboi" By the way wich is your grandfather hometown ? I can ask the author of the book to give me a contact veteran name from the same town to dig for info.
And if you can find more documents (perhaps "Livretul militar") in wich unit he was will be much easy. You said that the last rank (before retired) was captain. Probably in the war was "Locotenent"

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on June 10, 2008 09:51 pm
PM
Arwen
Posted: April 11, 2012 08:40 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hi everyone,

I didn't manage so far to get to Pitesti, sice it is totally out of my way and should perhaps stay there a few days. However, I haven't given up the idea. I found some pictures of my grandfather in the War as well. Perhaps I will upload them here.

He had been fighting in the Tatra Mountains... and I find a curious resemblance between himself and the second man from the left in this picture:

http://www.worldwar2.ro/foto/?id=86§ion=13&article=72

Can anyone find the names of the officers/ higher grades from that cavalry division?

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0538 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]