Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (10) « First ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Allies of Germany

Most important German ally
Italy [ 31 ]  [31.00%]
Romania [ 78 ]  [78.00%]
Finland [ 9 ]  [9.00%]
Hungary [ 10 ]  [10.00%]
Slovakia [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Croatia [ 1 ]  [1.00%]
Bulgaria [ 1 ]  [1.00%]
other one [ 8 ]  [8.00%]
Total Votes: 138
Guests cannot vote 
nuklik
Posted on July 02, 2006 03:43 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 979

I think it depends on battlefield.

Here is my minilist

War against Poland - Slovakia /can´t help myself/
War on Balkan - Croatia
War against Russia - Romania
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Helmut Von Moltke
Posted on August 27, 2006 11:27 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1029

Hungary, for the Eastern front. The Hungarian army was more loyal and anti Soviet. Even though the Bolsheviks set up a puppet government, they still fought loyally on the side of their German comrades. They were valuable troops in the Siege of Budapest which slowed down the Red Army's march throught Eastern Europe and tied down large numbers of Soviet troops that could have been used elsewhere.

K

--------------------
K
PMEmail Poster
Valium
Posted on April 20, 2011 11:20 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3047

Hungary did not try to do anything concrete in March 1944, when German troops occupied the country.

It reveal clearly that Hungarian regime was regarded by germans more loyalless than romanian regime, at the time

The only faint attempt to break away from the Axis camp was on October 15, 1944, when Horthy proclaimed in his radio speech a cease fire. However, most Honvédség units did not follow his order and kept fighting against the Red Army.

This show rather helplessness and non-fonctionality of the hungarian state, than pro-german loyalty

PMEmail Poster
Valium
Posted on April 20, 2011 01:59 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (Helmut Von Moltke @ August 27, 2006 02:27 pm)
Hungary, for the Eastern front. The Hungarian army was more loyal and anti Soviet.

kind of nonsense...
PMEmail Poster
New Connaught Ranger
Posted on April 20, 2011 04:49 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

You do realize you are commenting on a comment made in 2006?

Kevin in Deva. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
Valium
Posted on April 20, 2011 04:57 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

yes, true- unfortunatelly there are not too much recent ones
PMEmail Poster
ANDREAS
Posted on April 20, 2011 07:01 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

If somebody believe me, I vote only today... of course for Romania! Although I do not think that Romania had the most effective army of those of the Germany's allies, still it was the most important as a contribution to Germany's war effort in the East! I immediately noted, however, Finland and Hungary's contribution, which, although reduced as military forces, fought more vigorously (it is my impression true!) than Italians f.i.
Japan was not for any real use to Germany, the only time that she could be useful winter 1941 -against Soviet Union, the military leadership looked impassively at the soviets retreating their armies from the Far East and sending them to defend Moskow.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Florin
Posted on April 21, 2011 03:48 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (ANDREAS @ April 20, 2011 02:01 pm)
Japan was not for any real use to Germany, the only time that she could be useful winter 1941 - against Soviet Union, the military leadership looked impassively at the soviets retreating their armies from the Far East and sending them to defend Moskow.

Exactly in the moment when the Germans and the Soviets were signing their treaties in Moskow, the Imperial Japanese Army was engaged in bloody battles with the Red Army in Mongolia, and the Japanese lost this unofficial war. Not surprisingly, when Hitler made his worst mistake ever by declaring war to the United States, Japan did not return the favor, and did not attack Soviet Union.

The text above is with "Copy" and "Paste" from my only post into the Japanese forum www.jref.com. I wrote more interesting information into that post, which is the last (most recent) in topic
http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8504&page=2
PM
Valium
Posted on April 21, 2011 05:40 am
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (ANDREAS @ April 20, 2011 10:01 pm)
I immediately noted, however, Finland and Hungary's contribution, which, although reduced as military forces, fought more vigorously

Everybody knows the vigorous reply of finns, but when is about german allies on eastern front(hungarians, romanians, italians...), I generally have the impression that, except some partial contributions, they were all under german controll, and hardly could claim a success as being of their own. Also, in generall they were regarded as poor equiped, insuficiently trained, bad staff...(with few isolated exceptions). Specific for hungarian army on the west we could pick the wiki text:
During the Battle of Stalingrad, the Hungarian Second Army suffered terrible losses. The Soviet breakthrough at the Don River sliced directly through the Hungarian units. Shortly after the fall of Stalingrad in January 1943, the Hungarian 2nd Army was crushed by the Soviets at the Battle of Voronezh. Ignoring German orders to stand and fight to the death, the bewildered Hungarian troops, most of whom had no clue what exactly they were fighting for, turned and fled. Harassed by partisan bands and Soviet air attacks, and having to endure the Russian winter weather, they tried in vain to retreat. Most of the survivors were taken prisoner by the Soviet army, and total casualties numbered more than 100,000 men. The Hungarian army ceased to exist as an effective fighting force, and the irate Germans pulled them from the front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary_during_World_War_II
It would be very interesting if we'd have another sources about hungarian army, figting in east

This post has been edited by Valium on April 21, 2011 05:49 am
PMEmail Poster
New Connaught Ranger
Posted on April 21, 2011 08:46 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

You seem determined to carry on with a very anti-Hungarian theme to your posts
here on this thread and has been noted on another thread, also "WIKI" is not the most reliable source for information out there, as anything can be added or subtracted from it.

With regards the following:-

"Ignoring German orders to stand and fight to the death, the bewildered Hungarian troops, most of whom had no clue what exactly they were fighting for, turned and fled. Harassed by partisan bands and Soviet air attacks, and having to endure the Russian winter weather, they tried in vain to retreat. Most of the survivors were taken prisoner by the Soviet army, and total casualties numbered more than"

The above could equally be valid if one were to substitute the words Romanian, Bulgarian, for the word Hungarian.

Out of many of the nationalities fighting on the Russian Front the Spanish Blue Division for their size made a very big contribution in the effort to defeat / halt the Soviets, and took large casualties yet they are not even listed so far on this thread.

Kevin in Deva.
PMEmail Poster
Valium
Posted on April 21, 2011 09:41 am
Quote Post

Soldat

You seem determined to carry on with a very anti-Hungarian theme to your posts

It is just curiosity. Of course, you could take advantage about you're older here and complain to moderators to ban me, ignoring in the same time ANDREAS post
I immediately noted, however, Finland and Hungary's contribution, which, although reduced as military forces, fought more vigorously

But is not fair, IMHO

The above could equally be valid if one were to substitute the words Romanian, Bulgarian, for the word Hungarian

absolutely agree!
well, I'll never reply something to touch hungarian sensibility on this forum: I'll completely forget I'm romanian, and I'll force myself to think I'm polinesian or something smile.gif

This post has been edited by Valium on April 21, 2011 09:43 am
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted on April 21, 2011 05:17 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

It is known how ill prepared were the German troops for cold weather in 1941. According to what do I know, their clothing was again quite non satisfactory for winter at the end of 1942. I don't know how good was the clothing of the Romanian and Hungarian soldiers to cope with cold.
I added this post to remind that the clothing of the Italian soldiers was by far the worst to deal with frost, because of their irresponsible leaders back home. The Italian soldiers were almost defenseless against frost, so no surprisingly they could not matter too much during the winter battles.

This post has been edited by Florin on April 21, 2011 05:19 pm
PM
ANDREAS
Posted on April 21, 2011 06:37 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

Because I don't want to stain the memory of the Italian soldiers who fought on the Eastern Front, perhaps good (I don't know), have to say that I always stuck with the image of the Italian Army from North Africa which was almost destroyed by the British (much smaller) Forces from Egypt in 1940-1941 (and other episodes like the Greek Army who defeated the Italians in Albania in 1940-1941).
That's what I talked about, hope to be well understood...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
sebipatru
Posted on April 21, 2011 07:16 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2990

i've choosed romania
why

1 Romania sent more man against USSR than the all other Germany's allies together
2 Romania was the only country on the eastern front that actually understood that axis interest is her interest
3 Romania was the only country that actually tried to fight a major battle against soviets on soviet soil. The results weren't the best but no one even tried to do this
4 many will say that hungary was the last allie of germany in 44 and 45 but what did hungary until 44 when the odds of war were still even, in 44 the war was lost
5 for all who consider finland the best german allie , i ask them what did finland on soviet soil?
6 italyy maybe was better than romania but it main efforts were in north africa while in europe they had huge problems, and in USSR they were quite poor
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted on April 22, 2011 08:43 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Florin @ April 21, 2011 03:48 am)
Exactly in the moment when the Germans and the Soviets were signing their treaties in Moskow, the Imperial Japanese Army was engaged in bloody battles with the Red Army in Mongolia, and the Japanese lost this unofficial war. Not surprisingly, when Hitler made his worst mistake ever by declaring war to the United States, Japan did not return the favor, and did not attack Soviet Union.

Hitler declaring war on the US is hyped as a mistake when in fact it was only "o simpla formalitate".

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (10) « First ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0664 ]   [ 18 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]