Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (10) « First ... 7 8 [9] 10   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Allies of Germany

Most important German ally
Italy [ 31 ]  [31.00%]
Romania [ 78 ]  [78.00%]
Finland [ 9 ]  [9.00%]
Hungary [ 10 ]  [10.00%]
Slovakia [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Croatia [ 1 ]  [1.00%]
Bulgaria [ 1 ]  [1.00%]
other one [ 8 ]  [8.00%]
Total Votes: 138
Guests cannot vote 
New Connaught Ranger
Posted on April 22, 2011 10:04 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Valium @ April 21, 2011 09:41 am)
You seem determined to carry on with a very anti-Hungarian theme to your posts

It is just curiosity. Of course, you could take advantage about you're older here and complain to moderators to ban me, ignoring in the same time ANDREAS post
I immediately noted, however, Finland and Hungary's contribution, which, although reduced as military forces, fought more vigorously

But is not fair, IMHO

The above could equally be valid if one were to substitute the words Romanian, Bulgarian, for the word Hungarian

absolutely agree!
well, I'll never reply something to touch hungarian sensibility on this forum: I'll completely forget I'm romanian, and I'll force myself to think I'm polinesian or something smile.gif

1. I am not seeking to ban anybody, but, your own posts are clearly anti.Hungarian yet you offer very little in the way of evidence to back them up, and wiki does not count as a source in my honest opinion. Forums are for discussion and not promoting flame wars with regards race.

2. Your replies are more than are welcome, if, they contribute something to discussion and not flaming / trolling.

3. Even a Polynesian coming on here posting inflammatory comment would be noticed.

I am not Romanian I am Anglo-Irish with a keen interest in military history as opposed to military history hysterics. laugh.gif

Kevin in Deva.

PS Happy Easter to all.
PMEmail Poster
New Connaught Ranger
Posted on April 22, 2011 10:11 am
Quote Post

Colonel

QUOTE (sebipatru @ April 21, 2011 07:16 pm)
i've choosed romania
why

1 Romania sent more man against USSR than the all other Germany's allies together
2 Romania was the only country on the eastern front that actually understood that axis interest is her interest
3 Romania was the only country that actually tried to fight a major battle against soviets on soviet soil. The results weren't the best but no one even tried to do this
4 many will say that hungary was the last allie of germany in 44 and 45 but what did hungary until 44 when the odds of war were still even, in 44 the war was lost
5 for all who consider finland the best german allie , i ask them what did finland on soviet soil?
6 italyy maybe was better than romania but it main efforts were in north africa while in europe they had huge problems, and in USSR they were quite poor

For Number 5:- look up the Finnish Winter War.

The Winter War proved a costly victory for the Soviets. In the fighting, they lost approximately 126,875 dead or missing, 264,908 wounded, and 5,600 captured. In addition, they lost around 2,268 tanks and armored cars. Casualties for the Finns numbered around 26,662 dead and 39,886 wounded. The Soviet's poor performance in the Winter War led Hitler to believe that Stalin's military could be quickly defeated if attacked. He attempted to put this to the test when German forces launched Operation Barbarossa in 1941. The Finns renewed their conflict with the Soviets in June 1941, with their forces operating in conjunction with, but not allied to, the Germans.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/gi/o.htm?...om/mainpage.htm

http://militaryhistory.about.com/gi/o.htm?...om/mainpage.htm

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/...sso-Finnish-War

Kevin in Deva. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Valium
Posted on April 25, 2011 03:48 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3047

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ April 22, 2011 01:04 pm)
.... as opposed to military history hysterics.

good for you!
I'm not anti-hungarian: I've spoken the same about romanian army. Is simply the truth I know.
by the way: I've asked in my "incendiar" post for sources about hungarian army in eastern front-I think it would be very interesting, if you have any

This post has been edited by Valium on April 25, 2011 04:18 pm
PMEmail Poster
sebipatru
Posted on April 25, 2011 05:19 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2990

[QUOTE]For Number 5:- look up the Finnish Winter War

I don't want to be disrespectful with finnish army but i was talking about finish actions on soviet soil!!!!!!!!!
everyone knows the big problems of axis in term of logistics during the advance of USSR, and still romanian army perfmormed enough good, actualy romanians received 18 Knight's Crosses
in all this time the finnish army didn't fight on soviet soil, never had the huge logistics problems caused by over extended suplly lines, from 41 to 44 they stayed out of any major battles invested they resouces to upgrade theyre army to build 3 fortified lines and still in 44 they weren't able to hold
and in all this time the finnish army received 2 Knight's Crosses
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted on April 25, 2011 07:34 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (sebipatru @ April 25, 2011 05:19 pm)

I don't want to be disrespectful with finnish army but i was talking about finish actions on soviet soil!!!!!!!!!
everyone knows the big problems of axis in term of logistics during the advance of USSR, and still romanian army perfmormed enough good, actualy romanians received 18 Knight's Crosses
in all this time the finnish army didn't fight on soviet soil, never had the huge logistics problems caused by over extended suplly lines, from 41 to 44 they stayed out of any major battles invested they resouces to upgrade theyre army to build 3 fortified lines and still in 44 they weren't able to hold

I think the Romanian army was completely dependent on German logistics for most of the campaign in the East.

--------------------
I
PM
New Connaught Ranger
Posted on April 25, 2011 08:38 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

QUOTE (sebipatru @ April 25, 2011 05:19 pm)

In all reality you cant use the amount of 18 Knights Crosses v. 2 Knights Crosses as a legitimate scale for who was doing better as an ally for the Third Reich rolleyes.gif

When in all reality, the situations for the two, Romania and Finland were completely different. Finland had been invaded by the Soviets and with her small military had been mainly involved in a defensive campaign, a campaign in which she gave the Soviets a bloody nose and made them pay for every meter of Finish ground taken, however, the Finns were wise enough to know, that with enough time and the size of the military available to the Soviets, they alone could not hope to defeat the Soviet Union.

Even when the Finns were brought into the fight during the Siege of Leningrad their actions were carefully measured, preferring to hold their side of the encircling line and limit the amount of action directed to wards the city, because the knew that come the day the Nazis were finally defeated, then Uncle Joe Stalin would exact a heavy price from Finland for the actions they were involved in while allied to the Nazi military.

Kevin in Deva.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted on April 25, 2011 09:27 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ April 25, 2011 08:38 pm)
In all reality you cant use the amount of 18 Knights Crosses v. 2 Knights Crosses as a legitimate scale for who was doing better as an ally for the Third Reich rolleyes.gif

Even when the Finns were brought into the fight during the Siege of Leningrad their actions were carefully measured, preferring to hold their side of the encircling line and limit the amount of action directed to wards the city

Those carefully measured actions is what makes them not that of a good ally compared to Romania. From Germany's perspective, of course.

--------------------
I
PM
Alex30cag
Posted on April 26, 2011 07:32 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3005

I think Romania was the most important allied of Germany in ww2 for oil resources and war power
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted on April 26, 2011 02:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Valium @ April 25, 2011 09:48 pm)
by the way: I've asked in my "incendiar" post for sources about hungarian army in eastern front-I think it would be very interesting, if you have any

This book will hopefully give you the answer you're looking for:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...t=0&#entry81038

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sebipatru
Posted on April 26, 2011 05:38 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2990

Finland had been invaded by the Soviets and with her small military had been mainly involved in a defensive campaign, a campaign in which she gave the Soviets a bloody nose and made them pay for every meter of Finish ground taken

actually all this happend because the war was The Winter war, i wonder what would had happend if the war would have been The Summer War

the finns fought well, but they fought a defensive war with good suplly lines in harsh conditions of winter near polar circle in a hard terrain, all these had a major impact on the battlefield.

PS soryy for my english i was never good at grammar
PMEmail Poster
cnflyboy2000
Posted on May 30, 2011 04:14 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Alex30cag @ April 26, 2011 12:32 pm)
I think  Romania was the most important allied of Germany in ww2 for oil resources and war power

And at least one other big thing: food. Has anyone mentioned that?

I've read that Hitler viewed Romania as an important bread basket, and had long coveted the rich agricultural lands, well beyond the traditional Saxon footprint in Transylvania!
PMYahoo
YAN
Posted on June 23, 2011 10:13 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2942

I would go for the nation who was the first to support German and who was the last to opt out and join the allies, does Hungary fit the bill, was Hungary the last one in Europe to still fight side to side with Germany, I dont consider Japan because they fought there own war and they never fought on the same soil with the Germans.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted on June 23, 2011 10:37 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (YAN @ June 23, 2011 04:13 pm)
I would go for the nation who was the first to support German and who was the last to opt out and join the allies, does Hungary fit the bill, was Hungary the last one in Europe to still fight side to side with Germany...

Hungary certainly was not the first one to support Hitler's resurgent Germany. Also, it was not the last one either (it was Croatia).

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
YAN
Posted on June 23, 2011 03:02 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2942

Thanks Dénes, you learn something new every day.
Regards Yan.
PMEmail Poster
son of wisdom
Posted on June 29, 2011 06:39 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3085

japan was most important ally of germany.
of course that s years iran had very important role but iran was ataccked by england.
in reality iran was the bridge of victory for allies.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (10) « First ... 7 8 [9] 10  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0632 ]   [ 18 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]