Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gen. Ion Culcer
C-2
Posted: May 19, 2004 07:35 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Can I get some details about him?
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: May 20, 2004 08:57 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Maj. gen. Ioan Culcer was the CO of the 5th Corps between 1913-1916 and then CO of the 1st Army, before he was replaced by brig. gen. Ioan Dragalina.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
C-2
Posted: May 21, 2004 08:44 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

My son's doctor,Mrs Ana Culcer is related to general Ioan Culcer.She told me some things that I'd like you to confirm:
General Culcer studied the military academy in Berlin and was a good expert in German army.When war started he proposed a certain defence plan that was rejected and he was dismised and acused as been a pro German.Dragalina was put in his place and got killed shortly later.What happened next is history,but I was told that after the war General Culcer opened a trial against the Romanian army -a trial that he won.
He proved that the defence plan that he ordered could have been much sucsesful than the one use by Dragalina.He knew what the Germans will do and offered a much better defence plan than the "French"generals.
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: May 22, 2004 04:56 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I do not know of his proposed plan. However, during teh time he commanded the 1st Army (August-October 1916) he did not distinguish himself as a very capable commander. Practically teh only part of teh 1st Army that was going well and retreated organized was the Cerna Group of Dragalina. The situation was pretty bad when Dragalina took over and he only held command for a short while before being mortally wounded in combat.

Brig. gen. Ioan A. Dragalina was one of the best Romanian WW1 commanders and distinguished himself in a desperate time for the country. The opinion gen. Radu Rosetti (a mjor then), who was the chief of the Operations Bureau of the General Staff, has on Culcer when compared to Dragalina does not suggest that Culcer was brilliant strategist tha tcould have saved Romania in 1916. Especially since he could not properly direct teh operations of an army, much less of 3 armies.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
C-2
Posted: May 22, 2004 09:12 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

What about the trial I mentioned?
PMUsers Website
petru
Posted: May 25, 2004 08:52 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 149

Practically teh only part of teh 1st Army that was going well and retreated organized was the Cerna Group of Dragalina

Parts of Cerna group were encircled and surrendered.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0543 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]