Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Minesweepers for Romanian Navy
crolick
Posted: March 14, 2006 08:43 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 740

Hello,

in some of the Polish sources I have found information that in late 30's Poland was offering Romania minesweepers of the Jaskolka class. Can anyone confirm this?! Is there anything about that in Romanian sources?! Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards from Warsaw,
Andrzej

PS. This is silhouette of the Jaskolka class minesweepers:
user posted image
Source : http://www.PolishNavy.pl/

This post has been edited by crolick on December 30, 2008 07:57 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dan Po
Posted: March 20, 2006 09:32 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

I cannot find something about your question in "Marina romana in al doilea razboi mondial (Romanian Navy in WW2) - by Nicolae Koslinski and Raymond Stanescu, probably the best book about Romanian navy in ww2. But, who knows maybe we will find something in another source.

thanks for the link wink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: March 20, 2006 12:59 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

Thanks for the link. By the way, Gryf was powerfull armed. Much like a fleet destroyer then as a minelayer.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Dan Po
Posted: March 20, 2006 07:43 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

@ Iamandi

Ordered in 1934, this ship was designed by the KMW for variety of tasks - none of which she was able to fulfil very effectively. Her primary role was minelying, but she had to be used as atraining ship for cadetd and as a state yacht as well. She was overgunned, and had too small an area allocated for her machinery as her displacement was restricted owing to a shortage of available funds. (polishnavy.pl)

Jaskolka looks more resonable but I think the "NMS Amiral Murgescu" was a better ship. My vafourite polish ship from ww2 is ORP Grom.

This post has been edited by Dan Po on March 20, 2006 07:49 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
crolick
Posted: March 20, 2006 11:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hello Dan Po and Iamandi,

I'm glad that you've liked my page - I'm trying to do my best smile.gif

Jaskolka class minesweepers were offerd in 1938 or 1938 by SEPEWE [Polish military export company] for Romanian Navy. Those were only preliminary negotiations but I think that there should be some mention about it in Romanian sources?! I think that Romania was trying to built new minesweepers and opened the tender and one of the proposals was from the Polish side. I suppose German M-boots was another proposal or it was given by Germans later?!

Amiral Murgescu was minelayer while Jaskolka was minesweeper. Two different classes of ships rolleyes.gif And don't forget the size - Polish ship was way smaller only 183 t compared to 812 t of Amiral Murgescu. And we have six of those fabulous ships cool.gif

Cheers.
Andrzej
crolick
Posted: April 01, 2006 12:14 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I have some further details:
After visit of adm. Balanescu in Gdynia, plans of Jaskolka class minesweepers was send to Romanian Navy via SEPEWE. There were supposed to be built 4 vessels either in Gdynia or in Romania.

Anyone can tell me when exactly adm. Balanescu visited Gdynia?! What Romanian shipyards were able to built such ships - Galaczi?!

Regards,
Andrzej
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1618 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]