Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> General Radu Korne (Cornea)
mabadesc
Posted: August 23, 2004 04:55 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

I have a question about Gen. Korne.

If I remember correctly, in the fall of 1941, Colonel Korne was given a command only at the insistence of a German general. If it weren't for this German officer, Korne was going to be put in reserve (de-activated).

Since we are all familiar with Antonescu's officer purges, I'd like to ask if Korne was scheduled to be retired due to Antonescu's purges or if there were other reasons.

If you know any details about this, please post them. I'm really curious to find out why a colonel who later proved himself as one of the most capable officers of the Romanian Army was passed over for promotion in 1941 and was supposed to be retired. I'd also like to know why the German General (I forget his name) intervened by Antonescu to delay Korne's retirement.
PM
Victor
Posted: August 24, 2004 06:21 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Colonel Korne was quickly remarked by general Neuling, the CO of the German 239th Division, who asked general Ion Antonescu on 30 June to delay his retirement, as he was a very capable officer.

He had joined the army in 1913 and was thus younger than many other active Romanian officers.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mabadesc
Posted: August 24, 2004 04:18 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Colonel Korne was quickly remarked by general Neuling, the CO of the German 239th Division, who asked general Ion Antonescu on 30 June to delay his retirement, as he was a very capable officer.  

Thanks for the details, Victor.

The question still remains, however, why Korne was in the process of retirement. Wasn't he noticed as a capable officer?

Was he supposed to be part of one of Antonescu's officer purges, when any superior officer who wasn't promoted was retired?
PM
Victor
Posted: August 24, 2004 06:27 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

I really don't know.
Victor
Posted: May 21, 2005 08:18 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The report says that Antonescu delayed Korne's "purerea in retragere" which I would not interpret as willfull retirement. He was 46 in 1941, so still far away from pension.
sid guttridge
Posted: May 21, 2005 09:37 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Guys,

Have we any evidence that Korne was due to retire?

In English the word "retire" can mean both leaving one's job and withdrawing. Perhaps it was just intended to withdraw Korne to Romania, not eject him from the army, but he was regarded by the Germans as too useful at the front to be released and they asked for his retention on operations?

Is there similar ambiguity in the Romania word for "retire"?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: May 23, 2005 05:08 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

No, in this case Korne was on the verge of being retired, as in leaving his career in the armed forces. And, as Victor correctly pointed out, at the time he was probably too young to have voluntarily asked for retirement.

PM
sid guttridge
Posted: May 27, 2005 02:19 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Mabadesc,

Which brings us back to the question of why Korne was being prematurely retired. Is he known to have associated with any particular military clique? Was he, perhaps, a protege of Iacobici? Did Iacobici die before or after Korne was ordered to retire?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: May 27, 2005 02:31 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Iosif Iacobici died on 11 March 1952 in Aiud prison. In June 1941 he was the Minister of Defence. I think you are confusing Iacobici with someone else.
sid guttridge
Posted: May 27, 2005 03:23 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Victor,

You are right.

Who was the chief-of-staff killed in an air crash during the Odessa Campaign of 1941?

Cheers,

Sid.

PMEmail Poster
dragos03
Posted: May 27, 2005 05:02 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

It was Alexandru Ioanitiu but he didn't die in a crash. He entered in the range of a propeller on an airfield.
PM
sid guttridge
Posted: May 27, 2005 05:12 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Dragos,

Thanks.

Is there any known connection between Ioanitiu and Korne?

From memory, Ioanitiu's death and Korne's proposed retirement came within a month or so of each other. Do you have any dates for either event?

Cheers,

Sid.

PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: May 27, 2005 08:05 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ May 27 2005, 06:12 PM)
From memory, Ioanitiu's death and Korne's proposed retirement came within a month or so of each other. Do you have any dates for either event?

General de brigadă Alexandru Ioaniţiu died on 17 September 1941.
PM
Victor
Posted: May 28, 2005 06:41 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

I am also puzzled as to why col. Korne was supposed to be retired. Probably he was part of the small purge Antonescu made in the first months of the war. Korne military professionalism is out of question, so it must have been another reason, probably related to King Carol II, but I haven't found anything about it. Antonescu must have known Korne pretty well before the war, as both were cavalry officers. Unfortunately, this great commander (col. Korne) isn't researched very well. A good book on him would be very welcomed.
Iamandi
Posted: October 03, 2005 07:43 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

Reading your posts about this man, i want to know more about it. Some days ago i received (borrow?) a book, the VII volume about ww2 fighters/veterans. There i read something about gen. Korne. Bad ending. Tomorrow i will post that fragment, and if someone is so kind to translate in... at least most acceptable english then mine, our foreign co-forumists can read it.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0382 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]