Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (7) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Indrid Banned?, what happened?
Imperialist
Posted: June 14, 2005 08:45 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

Indrid is down.
Me and Alex H are also in the sights for past "cockfights".
I just hope this aint alexkdll's testament in action.

I also think we need a moderator that is not too much involved in discussions.

For example:

Dragos: I think this is a gratuitous remark, showing ignorance.
              Me: Yours is even more so. Only it shows rudeness.
              Dragos: I'm sorry but posting ridiculous statements like the following is a sign of ignorance or bad faith...
              Dragos: If I want to impose something, it is the discussion in the limits of the common sense, discussion based on rational arguments rather than preconceived opinions and impulsive remarks that often degenerate into personal attacks. I have nothing against anyone's beliefs and my intervention has nothing to do with religion, but with the quality of your statements. I'm not trying to convince you of the validity of the Darvin's theory, but of the fact that your statements regarding the inception and the development of this theory are not true.
                          This thread is already channeling enough negative reactions. If it will continue this way it will be closed.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=2216&st=0

Maybe the moderator tries to impose too many things, and they overlap. Common sense and personal remarks are obviously in the moderators jurisdiction. But rational arguments and quality of statements? Those go way over the "jurisdiction" and into moderating the "quality" of ideas according to personal held subjective views.
And when someone says something that doesnt fit in those quality limits, the mod intervenes as a common member with a harsh statement. When answered in turn, activates the moderating function and threatens closing of topic in this case.

Maybe someone can spot a big conflict of interests there?
I have nothing against the mods, but this conflict is there, a certain ambiguity. I hope this is taken as a comment and suggestion not a personal attack. Thankfully the thread shown as an example turned out OK.

--------------------
I
PM
dragos
Posted: June 14, 2005 09:20 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

It would be meaningful to insert your post into his place. My reaction was to your accusations:

QUOTE (Imperialist)
The problem is, I dont go around trying to impose on you my belief in God, but you want to impose your theory on me. And for no other reason but to legitimise homosexuality. What a noble endeavour.

--------------

QUOTE (Imperialist)
When answered in turn, activates the moderating function and threatens closing of topic in this case.

You forgot to mention that the topic I was refering to was the one dealing with homosexuality. The post belonged to that thread between splitting to the new topic.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Alexandru H.
Posted: June 14, 2005 11:35 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 57

Relax, Imperialist, I was in the moderator sight for a long time before you even appeared...

See this Jeff_S reply

Alexandru, of the un-banned members, I think you probably are the most hated.

... when I quite remember that I pointed him among the good members of the forums a while ago, along with mabadesc, Denes, horia, valachus, Chandenagore
PMUsers Website
cnflyboy2000
Posted: June 15, 2005 04:28 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

This is an unfortunate developement. Indrid is the wittiest and most provocative poster on here, imo.

Having said that, I also must say: I agree with Jeff. For me, the line is between witty provocation and spewing whatever thought happens to come into one's head without regard. (I don't plead personal innocence). The specifics here may be less important than the cumulative effect of snarling back and forth for awhile over a number of bad humored threads/posts.

The unfortunate part is, you will look for awhile for another forum with the "chemistry" of this; a hard core of informed and (mostly) smart posters, (never mind the impressive language skills) taking on some interesting issues over and above the military "mission" of the forum. Any "hit" to the core impoverishes us all, imo.

I hope we can take a break and regroup. I think people get a little stressed out at the end of the academic year and the advent of hot weather. I know I have less time in summer...maybe that's it, too.
PMYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: June 15, 2005 05:15 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (dragos @ Jun 14 2005, 09:20 PM)
It would be meaningful to insert your post into his place. My reaction was to your accusations:

QUOTE (Imperialist)
The problem is, I dont go around trying to impose on you my belief in God, but you want to impose your theory on me. And for no other reason but to legitimise homosexuality. What a noble endeavour.

--------------

QUOTE (Imperialist)
When answered in turn, activates the moderating function and threatens closing of topic in this case.

You forgot to mention that the topic I was refering to was the one dealing with homosexuality. The post belonged to that thread between splitting to the new topic.

True, but you reacted as a "common" forumist or as a moderator? How was I to make the difference? Who was to warn you for your aggressive attitude? It was the same one line as in "drop the aggressive tone". This time more like "drop the ignorant idea".
My ideas could have been as dumb as hell, if I put them out in a non-aggressive or extremist fashion the moderator has no business moderating their "quality".
Like I said, hope this is received as a constructive comment, not a personal attack. Indrid entered a lot of clinches with you, and it wasnt clear any longer if he was arguing with Dragos or with the moderator or both at the same time.
In view of that, your decision of banning him for "overall performance" and disregard for moral conduct of the forum has a shadow of subjectivity over it.
I'm not saying stop moderating or discussing, I'm saying see to it that it doesnt transform into a conflict of interest or ambiguity.

take care

This post has been edited by Imperialist on June 15, 2005 05:15 am

--------------------
I
PM
dragos
Posted: June 15, 2005 07:57 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Imperialist)
True, but you reacted as a "common" forumist or as a moderator? How was I to make the difference? Who was to warn you for your aggressive attitude? It was the same one line as in "drop the aggressive tone". This time more like "drop the ignorant idea".

Nobody has been warned or banned outside the forum rules, therefor this was not the case. The answer to your question is that I reacted as a common forumist.

QUOTE (Imperialist)
In view of that, your decision of banning him for "overall performance" and disregard for moral conduct of the forum has a shadow of subjectivity over it.

The reason for banning him is not the "overall performance", but a post such outrageos and uncivil, yet written by a person with studies and living in the XXI century, that had to be edited. It is obvious I can't leave all the proofs that lead to the banning of some members.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: June 15, 2005 08:17 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (dragos @ Jun 15 2005, 07:57 AM)

The reason for banning him is not the "overall performance", but a post such outrageos and uncivil, yet written by a person with studies and living in the XXI century, that had to be edited. It is obvious I can't leave all the proofs that lead to the banning of some members.

I've read his post before it was edited, and found the banning "out of the blue". I mean it was a minor offense, worth 7 days ban at most. Thats why I said I think the "overall" performance weighed in, as in deciding you no longer want him back after those 7 days.
But whatever, its my personal opinion.

About the 21st century, well, its impossible to tame tthe descendants of monkeys. We should embrace our monkey selves and go with the flow. I admire the bonobos. They dont want to be something they arent afterall. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I
PM
Alexandru H.
Posted: June 15, 2005 09:19 am
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

QUOTE (dragos @ Jun 15 2005, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Imperialist)

Nobody has been warned or banned outside the forum rules, therefor this was not the case. The answer to your question is that I reacted as a common forumist.

QUOTE (Imperialist)

dragos, what rules are that? Please, don't tell me you are again referring to that line in the forum guidelines that has absolutely no relevance in most ban cases around here

The users also agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, racist, xenophobic, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate applicable laws. Doing so may lead to the authors of such posts being immediately and permanently banned (and their service provider being informed).

Let's see some actual cases:

1. Considering his overall participation to this forum, inahurry was permanently banned.

Hmm, the same excuse like Indrid, yet most of us that were present there know the real reason: inahurry accused Victor of trying to put off nationalistic posts and accept people like me and Gabi, who seemed not to care much about the nation of Romania (the famous bar story smile.gif). Result: complete ban...

And it seems that last post was deleted....

2. aerialls, one week, for his imbecile post here:

Wouldn't it be better to call it a Moldavian Holocaust?

Even Eminescu has a part of the guilt...the most shovinistic poet weever had and he was unequalled. When you think that Hitler started this bussiness in 42, I wonder from who he got the ideas.

It may be a far-fetched post, but it doesn't relate to any of the forum rules. And in his articles Eminescu is clearly an antisemite, against the jewish economical influence etc... No reason for the one-week ban

3. In spite of several warnings, Najroda continued with uncivil posts, offensive to other forum members and with national conotations, turning almost every discution he took part in into a minority related issue.

The real problem with Najroda was that he was a hungarian and, most probably, believed in the hungarian version of history about Transylvania. Well, we can't have this in a romanian forum....Ban! And, as I recall, he did not turn almost every discution into a minority related issue, he only posted in the threads that were about such things...

As you see, not all bans are done on good grounds. Most of them don't even use the forum guidelines, but (at least, that's what I suspect) the moderator's sole opinion. The "moral conduct" explanation, from this point of view, is a complete joke, since you can't be blamed for breaking the law, when the law doesn't exist. And, as much as I would like this forum to have a standard morality, it won't achieve it until it will be written in a clear guideline form.
PMUsers Website
Chandernagore
Posted: June 15, 2005 10:07 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ Jun 14 2005, 07:53 PM)
And he's not banned permanently, just until 2008.

Well, then I will come back to post in 2008 too tongue.gif The level of temper authorized here and now only allows for sterelized, amorphous discussions to take place and we are warned that it will not change. So I draw the conclusions. Big brother will not miss me, I'm sure.

Cheers
PM
Imperialist
Posted: June 15, 2005 10:28 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (cnflyboy2000 @ Jun 15 2005, 04:28 AM)

The unfortunate part is, you will look for awhile for another forum with the "chemistry" of this; a hard core of informed and (mostly) smart posters, (never mind the impressive language skills) taking on some interesting issues over and above the military "mission" of the forum. Any "hit" to the core impoverishes us all, imo.

I hope we can take a break and regroup. I think people get a little stressed out at the end of the academic year and the advent of hot weather. I know I have less time in summer...maybe that's it, too.

I think the 500/600 members of this forum can very well replenish the hard core. I'm actually starting to think we'd better take a holiday and give some breathing and manifestation space to them.

--------------------
I
PM
Alexandru H.
Posted: June 15, 2005 10:34 am
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

188 members - 0 posts
113 members - 1 post
50 members - 2 posts
-----
Total: 351 members...

Of course, the General Discussion thread doesn't count posts, but no one from those 351 members is an active poster around there, anyway
PMUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: June 15, 2005 10:54 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

QUOTE (Alexandru H. @ Jun 15 2005, 10:34 AM)
188 members - 0 posts
113 members - 1 post
50 members - 2 posts
-----
Total: 351 members...

Of course, the General Discussion thread doesn't count posts, but no one from those 351 members is an active poster around there, anyway

What? I don't use a momment to think, yet, at this aspect... Waw!!!

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
sid guttridge
Posted: June 15, 2005 11:05 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Alexandru H.,

That looks like a pretty typical forum profile to me. Try doing the same analysis on Feldgrau, for example.

Besides, might not the unwillingness of some of them to return be related to over robust posting by others?

If Indrid is, indeed, Gabriel Szekely, his posting of the article with his grandfather's memoirs was a positive factual input. However, how many of his many hundreds of posts, rather than articles, can this be said of?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi cnflyboy2000,

Indrid's wit in the last month has escaped me. Can you entertain me with some examples?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Alexandru H.
Posted: June 15, 2005 11:24 am
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Look, Imperialist has a point and I think that some of us could try it in order to leave some space to the new blood. It's quite certain I won't change, and neither will the moderators, so I'll take his suggestion to take a break. Let's say 20-40 days. Think about it as a peaceful strike. If things go well, the forum gets new people and a new atmosphere, I'll accept the fact that I, among others, was the disrupting factor in the equation, one of the persons that hindered the well-being of the forum and I'll depart forever, no questions asked. But if in this period, the forum will die of boredom, of inactivity, of sterilized discussions under ban-point, I'll be back, more crazier than ever.

That is a promise.... ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Alexandru H. on June 15, 2005 11:46 am
PMUsers Website
Zayda
Posted: June 15, 2005 11:27 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 300

The most interestinf aspect i see here, (besides the quite amazing piece of statistic information that Alexandru H. mentioned) is the fact that one thread about a member being banned gets more posts and views than most topics about the Romanian military.

The most telling example is the case of the forum section called Romanian Royal Navy where not one (1) topic has more replies than this thread. this situation tell a lot about what the heart of the forum really is, and that is General Discussion.

Am i to understand that one member of the forum is more interesting than the Romanian Royal Navy?

laugh.gif laugh.gif

...but of course this is only the opinion of one, unimportant, without many posts, female member..... sad.gif

This post has been edited by Zayda on June 15, 2005 11:28 am
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (7) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0190 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]