Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> WWII Romanian Jet fighters, Fictional war end 3D model
Agarici
Posted: March 22, 2006 10:04 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

Four-engine Soviet bombers...?!?
PMEmail Poster
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: March 22, 2006 10:24 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

Pe-8
PMUsers Website
bansaraba
Posted: January 01, 2009 03:59 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 2196

I wonder if the jet engine invented by Henri Coanda in 1910, with the body and weapons of 1939-1941 could have been competitive in WWII.
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: January 02, 2009 10:17 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (bansaraba @ January 01, 2009 03:59 pm)
I wonder if the jet engine invented by Henri Coanda in 1910, with the body and weapons of 1939-1941 could have been competitive in WWII.

Oh boy!
Coanda did not "invent" the jet. He was not even the first to come up with the idea of a turbine, or even a gas propelled turbine. Steam powered turbines existed for at least 16 years by then. (Google Turbinia) What Coanda tested (with Campini's help, a fact that is conveniently "forgotten" or "ignored" by the Romanians) was a ducted fan with afterburner - let us not forget that he used a 4-cylinder engine to provide the rotation force that turned the ducted fan. On a real jet, the rotation is provided by a turbine turned by a jet of hot gases. Coanda figured out that he was on to a loser and gave it up to work on a range of very successful projects. Campini kept trying and only about 20 years later he managed to complete the engine, which turned out to be a failure. Google Campini.

Coanda failed. No jet was successful until late 30s. The first patent for a jet engine was granted to Von Ohain in 1936.

I said it before, had Coanda invented the "jet engine" in 1910, World War 1 would have been fought by jet fighters.

Coanda has a plethora of other real achievements on his panoply for which he deserves a lot of praise and recognotion.

The Coanda Effect is much much much more significant for the aviation (and not only) industry than his failed attempt to create a "ducted fan with afterburner" engine.

Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
bansaraba
Posted: January 02, 2009 12:55 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 2196

Thanks for your answer. It seems that I should look to Coanda's work from another perspective. But, you know, the Romanian books almost invariably say the same thing and nothing else (maybe in the 2000s things changed).
PMEmail Poster
lancer21
Posted: September 17, 2010 08:30 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2883

QUOTE (Radub @ January 02, 2009 10:17 am)
QUOTE (bansaraba @ January 01, 2009 03:59 pm)

Oh boy!
Coanda did not "invent" the jet. He was not even the first to come up with the idea of a turbine, or even a gas propelled turbine. Steam powered turbines existed for at least 16 years by then. (Google Turbinia) What Coanda tested (with Campini's help, a fact that is conveniently "forgotten" or "ignored" by the Romanians) was a ducted fan with afterburner - let us not forget that he used a 4-cylinder engine to provide the rotation force that turned the ducted fan. On a real jet, the rotation is provided by a turbine turned by a jet of hot gases. Coanda figured out that he was on to a loser and gave it up to work on a range of very successful projects. Campini kept trying and only about 20 years later he managed to complete the engine, which turned out to be a failure. Google Campini.

Coanda failed. No jet was successful until late 30s. The first patent for a jet engine was granted to Von Ohain in 1936.

I said it before, had Coanda invented the "jet engine" in 1910, World War 1 would have been fought by jet fighters.

Coanda has a plethora of other real achievements on his panoply for which he deserves a lot of praise and recognotion.

The Coanda Effect is much much much more significant for the aviation (and not only) industry than his failed attempt to create a "ducted fan with afterburner" engine.

Radu

Sorry ? Campini helped Coanda with the "turbine"?! I did a quick google on "Campini" as you suggested , and if its the same guy who you are talking about ( Secondo Campini?), well he was born in 1904!

Can i ask what is your source for the above post ? Would be interesting to know ...
unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: September 19, 2010 05:39 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (lancer21 @ September 17, 2010 08:30 pm)

Sorry ? Campini helped Coanda with the "turbine"?!

Apologies for the confusion. I meant Caproni. Caproni was a close friend of Coanda's (Coanda was even his best man at his wedding). It was a "slip" of the keyboard, it happens. Caproni worked closely with Coanda on a number of designs.

Nevertheless (you may be relieved to know) the connection betweeen Campini and Coanda via Caproni still remains. Caproni Campini N1 was a "propellerless" plane finally flown in 1940. This was based on an idea similar to Coanda's, i.e. a ducted fan powered by an in-line engine. It clearly demonstrated that such an engine was quite weak and nothing too exciting (apart from not actually being a "jet engine" as such).
But, you probably came across that already when you googled the name Campini. wink.gif

Trust me, I know a thing or two about Coanda. Not so long ago I was involved in a large project relating to him.

HTH
Radu

Skyraider3D
Posted: October 04, 2010 10:09 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 853

Hi guys, I just happened upon this topic through Google. I created these images of the Me P.1070 (AKA "Me 260") many years ago for a book with what-if Luftwaffe stories by John Baxter.

Indeed the Soviet bombers are Pe-8s. The formation is semi-random, I put no real thought into it other for it to look interesting. From what I've read about Soviet formation flying during WW2, this might actually not be too far from the truth tongue.gif My inspiration came from formations of B-17s, so that's probably why it looks a bit like American box formations perhaps, but this is not intentional.

Here's the current webpage dedicated to these images:
http://digitalaviationart.com/skyraider3d/mep1070_1.htm

One of the images is available as print, by the way:
http://www.digitalaviationart.com/zazzle/hypothetical.php

--------------------
?
cmc
Posted: October 05, 2010 05:00 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2231

^^ Holy cow... those are wonderful...
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: October 07, 2010 04:16 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (SiG @ March 21, 2006 03:46 pm)
QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Mar 20 2006, 11:00 AM)
Me 260 jet fighters

Are those fighters licence produced at IAR Brasov? laugh.gif

No, actually they were used and refurbished planes sold to Romania in 1953. Few of them saw combat action during the modest Romanian contribution into the war between Germany and Japan, in 1960. Unfortunately, after their assigned airport in Thailand was bombed, only one plane was able to perform the return flight to Romania.

This post has been edited by Florin on October 07, 2010 04:46 am
PM
Agarici
Posted: October 07, 2010 10:21 am
Quote Post

Maior

QUOTE (Florin @ October 07, 2010 04:16 am)
QUOTE (SiG @ March 21, 2006 03:46 pm)
QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Mar 20 2006, 11:00 AM)
Me 260 jet fighters

Are those fighters licence produced at IAR Brasov? laugh.gif

No, actually they were used and refurbished planes sold to Romania in 1953. Few of them saw combat action during the modest Romanian contribution into the war between Germany and Japan, in 1960. Unfortunately, after their assigned airport in Thailand was bombed, only one plane was able to perform the return flight to Romania.

I beg your pardon...? blink.gif ohmy.gif
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: October 07, 2010 10:40 am
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I didn't know Romania participated so activ in that war.
I heard only about logistics and staff.
PMUsers Website
Florin
Posted: October 07, 2010 05:39 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (C-2 @ October 07, 2010 05:40 am)
I didn't know Romania participated so active in that war.

Did you read the science fiction novel "The Man in the High Castle" / "Omul din castelul inalt" ? It was also translated in Romanian, by Nemira.
In the novel Germany and Japan, the winners of World War II, were not in war, but watching each over with a dose of mistrust and reciprocal despise. In that action, there was a rift in the leadership of Nazi Party. One faction wanted a surprise thermonuclear attack against Japan, the other wanted the maintaining of the status quo. Meanwhile the German astronauts were pinning the swastika on Moon and Mars - huge expenses just for propaganda reasons.

This post has been edited by Florin on October 07, 2010 05:51 pm
PM
Agarici
Posted: October 07, 2010 06:29 pm
Quote Post

Maior

QUOTE (Florin @ October 07, 2010 05:39 pm)

Did you read the science fiction novel "The Man in the High Castle" / "Omul din castelul inalt" ? It was also translated in Romanian, by Nemira.
Meanwhile the German astronauts were pinning the swastika on Moon and Mars - huge expenses just for propaganda reasons.

On Mars? blink.gif Didn't they get to put a man (or an "uber"-man, that is mad.gif ) on the Sun, too? At night, of course, in order not to melt... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Agarici on October 07, 2010 08:46 pm
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: October 08, 2010 05:07 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Agarici @ October 07, 2010 01:29 pm)
QUOTE (Florin @ October 07, 2010 05:39 pm)

Meanwhile the German astronauts were pinning the swastika on Moon and Mars - huge expenses just for propaganda reasons.

On Mars? blink.gif Didn't they get to put a man (or an "uber"-man, that is mad.gif ) on the Sun, too? At night, of course, in order not to melt... tongue.gif

I am assuming you know that the same team of German scientists who designed the V-2 designed also the Saturn rocket who propelled the Apollo missions to Moon, and the rockets who sent unmanned equipment to Mars in the 1970's.
In the days of the Apollo missions, the chief of the medical research of NASA was a German doctor. Later the medals and honorific titles he obtained in America were withdrawn on the reason that he was also a doctor in a Nazi concentration camp.

There were attempts to tarnish the memory of von Braun as well, on the reason that V-2's were built by detainees under the supervision of SS, but eventually it was decided that America owns him too much for the Apollo program.

By the way, "Agarici", it was technically possible to send a man to Mars since the 1970's - it was just too expensive to do it. If Soviet Union and the U.S. wouldn't waste money for nukes, tanks, aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines, we would have astronauts on Mars decades ago. But from a realistic point of view, these money could have better usage right here on Earth.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0334 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]