Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Forum troubleshooting
dragos
Posted: April 13, 2005 11:40 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

To limit the abusive usage of attachments, the File Attachments feature has been disabled for the following forums: WW2 in general, The post-WW2 an recent military and General discussion.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: April 13, 2005 01:58 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Avoid pointless chit-chat in other sections than General Discussion.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: April 13, 2005 02:12 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

QUOTE (dragos @ Apr 13 2005, 11:40 AM)
To limit the abusive usage of attachments, the File Attachments feature has been disabled for the following forums: WW2 in general, The post-WW2 an recent military and General discussion.

All I want to say is that your decision was totally disrespectful.
And I mean the decision to delete all my cartoons posted.
You did not warn, but went ahead and deleted them all. I'm sure I would have been reasonable enough not to post any more, if your warning was issued. I even asked beforehand if posting contemporary cartoons wouldnt be off-topic. You did not object, so I dont see why you deleted retroactovely something you did not object to initially and something that was not illegal at the time... it would have been polite to leave them be.

The Forum Guidelines dont label decent political cartoons as abusive.
They dont label signatures abusive either.

In the first 20 pages of the Tidal Wave topic there are 168 images attached, amounting to 98MB... and the topic has 100 pages more!!!

I only posted 700KB, and I abused the attachment function. You pick on the little guys...

take care, and please dont erase this. I lost my right to attach images, leave me my right to protest against that loss, especially if I do it politely

--------------------
I
PM
dragos
Posted: April 13, 2005 04:51 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

First, I did not deleted your posts because I'm against political cartoons, but it is not for the first time when I mention that the file attachment function should be used only for important stuff, or at least related to Romania in WW2. In this respect, your comparison with the TW topic is inapropriate, because there one can find really interesting and rare images related to this historical episode. In order to save space, sooner or later I will have to weed out the unnecessary attachments, and that means the deleting of *all* attachments from the General discussion forum in the first place. For the purpose of topics like Favorite Woman or Political Cartoons, you can use ImageShack, especially if you are familiar with computers.

In the end, I will say again:
Use the <File Attachments> feature only for unique illustrations related to Romanian military history. All other uses are subject to be deleted without warning.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: April 13, 2005 08:01 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (dragos @ Apr 13 2005, 04:51 PM)
First, I did not deleted your posts because I'm against political cartoons, but it is not for the first time when I mention that the file attachment function should be used only for important stuff, or at least related to Romania in WW2. In this respect, your comparison with the TW topic is inapropriate, because there one can find really interesting and rare images related to this historical episode. In order to save space, sooner or later I will have to weed out the unnecessary attachments, and that means the deleting of *all* attachments from the General discussion forum in the first place. For the purpose of topics like Favorite Woman or Political Cartoons, you can use ImageShack, especially if you are familiar with computers.

In the end, I will say again:
Use the <File Attachments> feature only for unique illustrations related to Romanian military history. All other uses are subject to be deleted without warning.

Dragos, I did not question your overall decision to ban attachments in certain areas. though I dont like it, but I questioned your decision to delete my posts.
Like I said, there were at most 500-700KB worth of cartoons. I spent time picking the appropriate ones from among 100s from my collection, and posting them, and then you simply erased them. No warning, no nothing. Then told me to use Imageshack (start all over again like that guy endlessly pushing a rock uphill)
I understood that concert poster are banned, or some other images, but the political cartoons were chosen so as to see how political imagery is and was used to send powerful messages, today and in the past (the past being covered by Alex H and his posts).
If those 500/700KB constituted such a burden on the server, I guess some older attachments on "Favourite Women" could have been deleted to compensate, afterwards I would have received my warning and stopped posting and those posted would have remained there. Equilibrium would have been restored.

Personally I think political cartoons are closer to the subject of the forum than "Favourite Women". I know this will upset Indrid, but thats how I view it.

And for the TW people, no disrespect intended in my previous comments, but we too are members. We, the ones not too much interested in minute details like bomber paintjobs and noseart, or crewmember lists etc.

Maybe we should find a way of making an archive of those images and free server space, I dont know, maybe placing them in the file sections of a yahoo group?
And I guess the political cartoons are the first to take that road, rather than the TW ones, to keep the forum's wwii focus???

Is that feasible?

take care

p.s. you should put that warning about attachment into the Forum Guidelines.
I'm serious... those are the first read, before anybody finds your post in some topic around about erasing on the spot. I personally did not see such a warning before.

This post has been edited by Imperialist on April 13, 2005 08:09 pm

--------------------
I
PM
boonicootza
Posted: April 13, 2005 08:46 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

There is an easier way. ImageShack can be integrated in the forum, so when somebody attach an image it will be stored on their servers.

The ImageShack on your Site™ feature allows webmasters to place the ImageShack upload form directly into their website or message board, thus allowing website visitors to experience the full power of ImageShack's image hosting.

These are the instructions for this forum, Invision Power Board
These instructions will help you to install 'ImageShack on your Site' into the reply, quick-reply, and post-new-thread sections of your Invision Power Board, thus giving your visitors the ability to upload images directly. After upload, they may paste the images directly into their post box.

1. Open /your_board_path/Skin/s#/skin_post.php" where # is your skin number.
  2. Find the function "postbox_buttons($data)"
  3. Inside that function, find:
          </td>
    <td class="pformright" valign='top'>
      <textara cols='80' rows='20' name='Post' tabindex='3' class='textinput'>$data</textara>
  </td>  </tr>

4. Directly UNDER the above-mentioned text, paste:
    <tr>
<td class='pformleft'><b>ImageShack Upload</b></td>
<td class='pformright'>
  <iframe src="http://www.imageshack.us/iframe.php?txtcolor=111111" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" width="280" height="70">
You must have an iframe-compatable browser to view the ImageShack.us upload form.</iframe>
</td>
  </tr>

5. Save the file you worked with. Login and reply to a thread in order to see your changes.

I hope it helps.

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 13, 2005 08:58 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Thanks boonicootza! I will consider your solution.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 13, 2005 09:11 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

I understood that concert poster are banned, or some other images, but the political cartoons were chosen so as to see how political imagery is and was used to send powerful messages, today and in the past (the past being covered by Alex H and his posts).

Again, the removing of your attachments has no other meaning than the one I explained before. I know that they represented only a small part of the total attachments I will have to delete, but the topic appearead as another source of wasted server space. Hopefully the problems will be solved with the solution of boonicootza.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
cnflyboy2000
Posted: April 14, 2005 02:49 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (boonicootza @ Apr 14 2005, 01:46 AM)
There is an easier way. ImageShack can be integrated in the forum, so when somebody attach an image it will be stored on their servers.

The ImageShack on your Site™ feature allows webmasters to place the ImageShack upload form directly into their website or message board, thus allowing website visitors to experience the full power of ImageShack's image hosting.

These are the instructions for this forum, Invision Power Board
These instructions will help you to install 'ImageShack on your Site' into the reply, quick-reply, and post-new-thread sections of your Invision Power Board, thus giving your visitors the ability to upload images directly. After upload, they may paste the images directly into their post box.

1. Open /your_board_path/Skin/s#/skin_post.php" where # is your skin number.
   2. Find the function "postbox_buttons($data)"
   3. Inside that function, find:
          </td>
     <td class="pformright" valign='top'>
      <textara cols='80' rows='20' name='Post' tabindex='3' class='textinput'>$data</textara>
  </td>   </tr>

4. Directly UNDER the above-mentioned text, paste:
     <tr>
<td class='pformleft'><b>ImageShack Upload</b></td>
<td class='pformright'>
   <iframe src="http://www.imageshack.us/iframe.php?txtcolor=111111" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" width="280" height="70">
You must have an iframe-compatable browser to view the ImageShack.us upload form.</iframe>
</td>
   </tr>

5. Save the file you worked with. Login and reply to a thread in order to see your changes.

I hope it helps.

This looks way complicated. Have u guys ever heard of "user friendly? Who wants to become an IT guru just to post a jpg? Have pity on those of us who r less comp. savvy.

And all to save 700 Kb? I don't get it..... are your servers that overburdened?

If they are, why not "turn over" older attachments, as has already been suggested? Even a "newbie" is probably not gonna sift thru dozens of older pages of graphics, I would think.

Moreover, does this mean the days of "reveal yourself" are also numbered? If so, too bad, imo, as that thread helps define the "community" here in a special way.

This is a disappointing developement. Those political cartoons were pretty good, imo. Maybe it would have deteriorated over time, but for now, it was an interesting thread.

I realize monitoring all this stuff becomes burdensome: as graphics content multiplies, the opportunity for abuse does too. Why not ask for some volunteer editorial help, if this is the case?

PMYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 06:35 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

laugh.gif cnflyboy2000, the complicated code was addressed only to me, it's a small piece of the engine of the forum. You will attach the pictures as simple as till now.

QUOTE (cnflyboy2000)
Moreover, does this mean the days of "reveal yourself" are also numbered?

What do you mean? huh.gif
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Indrid
Posted: April 14, 2005 08:16 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

he is reffering to the PRESENT YOURSELF thread, where pic were attached...
PMICQ
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 08:21 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

After we change the attachment system, those who want their photograph there can edit their message and post a picture again. I am not deleting the posts, only the pictures uploaded by "File Attachments" feature of this forum. The pictures linked from other servers (such us ImageShack) will remained untouched.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 09:27 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Thanks to boonicootza's hint, the File Upload feature has been re-enabled throughout the forum. smile.gif

However, the older attachments in General Discussion forum or in other topics are subject to be deleted at some point.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
boonicootza
Posted: April 14, 2005 10:11 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

I'm glad I could help! biggrin.gif

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
cnflyboy2000
Posted: April 15, 2005 02:12 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (dragos @ Apr 14 2005, 02:27 PM)
Thanks to boonicootza's hint, the File Upload feature has been re-enabled throughout the forum.  smile.gif

However, the older attachments in General Discussion forum or in other topics are subject to be deleted at some point.

o.k. thanks. and tip of hat to bctza. I hope Panka and Eric pics don't get lost in the shuffle........... we r seeing those kids grow up in front of our eyes. smile.gif
PMYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0632 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]