Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Request for help from Germany
Victor
Posted: February 09, 2005 06:56 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I received the following email today.

Hannover, 06.02.2005

Dear ladies and gentleman,

I am Dr. Marcel Janßen from northern germany and I have a big request. I have never been to Rumania and I do not speak your language, so I try it in english with the hope, that you will understand me and my request.

My grandfather Gustav was killed in action in the year 1944 at the terrible and contemptible world war two as a german soldier. He left his wife and his four children. One of these children is my father Günter, who has never seen his own  father. He becomes older now and his healthy is becoming worth. One of his biggest wishes he has and a dream of his whole life is the knowledge of his fathers grave or tomb. At the end of the war, they send my grandmather a letter, that Gustav was killed by passing the river "Pruth" at 27.08.1944 in Rumania. Furthermore they wrote, that they burried him exactly at "Cavadinesti, Jud.: Galati, Cimitirul Comunal", probably a communal grave with about 60 german soldiers from the second world war. That all is more than sixty years ago in the past, but my huge request is to get some information or even a photo of that tomb, if there is some kind of monument or something like that. I have no financial or political reasons or anything else for this letter but my own private heartfelt agenda to fulfill the desire of my father and me. It is the naked wish to have something more to mourn for than only a 60-years-old letter. He himself do not know anything about internet and world wide web and possibilities like e-mails, so I will surprise him, if I can get some information by this way.

I would thank you for any information or photo you can mail me with all my heart.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Marcel Janßen (dentist)

Maybe someone in the area can help. I have located the village on the map. It is southeast of Barlad. See here: http://www.hartionline.ro/ro/harta/k4.html
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: February 09, 2005 08:23 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Here is what I can contribute with:
Nachname: Janssen 
Vorname: Gustav 
Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter 
Geburtsdatum: 20.12.1908 
Geburtsort: Sophiengroden 
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 27.08.1944 
Todesort: in Pruth/Rumänien

Gen. Dénes
Victor
Posted: February 09, 2005 09:09 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

I forgot to add the email adress of mr. Janssen: marcel.75@web.de
alexkdl
Posted: February 10, 2005 09:14 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 373

Victor

I am certain you know that the father of the present Bundes Cancellor of Germany Herr Gerhard Schroeder lost his life in Roumania serving as officer or NCO in WWII possibly near Bucharest or Basarabia . I am not sure if we dealt with this subject , if we didn't ,do you or anyone on here have any info with photos on him ?

This could generate some attention in Germany and perhaps we should start a tread about it ?

Alex

This post has been edited by alexkdl on February 10, 2005 09:21 am
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 10, 2005 10:10 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Victor

I am certain you know that the father of the present Bundes Cancellor of Germany Herr Gerhard Schroeder lost his life in Roumania serving as officer or NCO in WWII possibly near Bucharest or Basarabia . I am not sure if we dealt with this subject , if we didn't ,do you or anyone on here have any info with photos on him ?

This could generate some attention in Germany and perhaps we should start a tread about it ?

Alex

Alex, the Schroeder father grave was found ( near a church in Transilvania) and several unofficial visits of Cancellar was made to Romania for this purpose.
Massmedia in Romania never missed the issue.

As for Herr Marcel Janssen request, for the moment i can not help because of the heavy winter on these days in Romania and the far distance from Bucharest to Galati. Maybe at the begin of spring ( if it's not to late) i can do a trip to that village for pictures.
Dan.

PS: Anyone from Galati on this forum ?
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 10, 2005 11:34 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 373

Dan , I know regarding the grave from the German media, what I meant are photos of his dad, duty he had also details of his death....by the way can you email me a winter photo taken from your window,,,,,I know about the heavy winter in Bucharest and Rumania, while here we have no snow at all and every spring like weather

Alex
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 10, 2005 12:04 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Dan , I know regarding the grave from the German media, what I meant are photos of his dad, duty he had also details of his death....by the way can you email me a winter photo taken from your window,,,,,I know about the heavy winter in Bucharest and Rumania, while here we have no snow at all and every spring like weather

Alex

Alex, i know only the village name was "Ceanul Mare" and his father lost his life in the fights ( september-october'44) for Transilvania near that village. And was burried with other german comrades near the church of Ceanul Mare village.
I didn't see pictures with his father in rom. massmedia. Probably you have to ask on german forums other details ( like unit, war exploits, portrait pictures) I don't think you can find such details in rom. archiv.

Dan.

PS: I will make pictures with "Stalingrad winter" sad.gif in Romania.
Pick-up for me and smell a spring flower from your swiss green garden. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on February 10, 2005 02:20 pm
PM
deadmanwalking
Posted: February 16, 2005 02:25 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 322

Has anybody been able to locate that gentleman's resting place?
PM
Carol I
Posted: February 16, 2005 08:45 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (alexkdl @ Feb 10 2005, 10:14 AM)
I am not sure if we dealt with this subject , if we didn't ,do you or anyone on here have any info with photos on him ?

Here is the discussion on this forum: Gerhard Schroeder visits his father tomb and the photo from Clujeanul newspaper:

user posted image
PM
Danut
Posted: February 22, 2005 06:29 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 450

Over here I found the church and the priest's name in Cavadinesti. Maybe is helpful.
Allways the priest knows this things.the church and the priest's name
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 23, 2005 08:11 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Over here I found the church and the priest's name in Cavadinesti. Maybe is helpful.
Allways the priest knows this things.the church and the priest's name

Thanks for the links. Anyone knows how to get the adress of the priest Toader Pohrib who is "Protopop" of the area where is also Cavadinesti village.
We can translate the letter from Herr Janssen and sent to him to help with info maybe also with pictures ( i offer myself to cover the expenses for pictures issue)

Dan.
PM
zmoney
Posted: January 23, 2006 08:00 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 791

Whatever happened with this? Was anyone able to help locate his grandfather?
PMEmail Poster
d1ragos
Posted: September 03, 2008 02:55 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2241

QUOTE (Victor @ February 09, 2005 06:56 pm)
I received the following email today.

Hannover, 06.02.2005

Dear ladies and gentleman,

I am Dr. Marcel Janßen from northern germany and I have a big request. I have never been to Rumania and I do not speak your language, so I try it in english with the hope, that you will understand me and my request.

My grandfather Gustav was killed in action in the year 1944 at the terrible and contemptible world war two as a german soldier. He left his wife and his four children. One of these children is my father Günter, who has never seen his own  father. He becomes older now and his healthy is becoming worth. One of his biggest wishes he has and a dream of his whole life is the knowledge of his fathers grave or tomb. At the end of the war, they send my grandmather a letter, that Gustav was killed by passing the river "Pruth" at 27.08.1944 in Rumania. Furthermore they wrote, that they burried him exactly at "Cavadinesti, Jud.: Galati, Cimitirul Comunal", probably a communal grave with about 60 german soldiers from the second world war. That all is more than sixty years ago in the past, but my huge request is to get some information or even a photo of that tomb, if there is some kind of monument or something like that. I have no financial or political reasons or anything else for this letter but my own private heartfelt agenda to fulfill the desire of my father and me. It is the naked wish to have something more to mourn for than only a 60-years-old letter. He himself do not know anything about internet and world wide web and possibilities like e-mails, so I will surprise him, if I can get some information by this way.

I would thank you for any information or photo you can mail me with all my heart.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Marcel Janßen (dentist)

Maybe someone in the area can help. I have located the village on the map. It is southeast of Barlad. See here: http://www.hartionline.ro/ro/harta/k4.html

Do you knew the result of Mr. Janssen request ?
Has somebody send him something ?
PMEmail Poster
houseofbean
Posted: September 09, 2008 10:28 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2244

Hello,

I hope I'm posting this correctly.

I contacted Herr Janssen, and he wrote me back the next morning. I was touched by his letter about his father and the father/grandfather they never knew. I want to find that cemetery. It's a LONG way from Sibiu, but I'm sure gonna try! I bought a nice map, but I am a bit shocked that it is so out of the way! :-o It's right at the edge of the Romanian/Moldovan border. I will check the different bus and trains to see what is best to get there.

I don't know how many Germans are buried there. I hope there is some kind of sign or stone marking where the German soldiers are buried. I don't know what to expect being that it is a small community. And I have a fear of hearing, "Sorry, but there are no German soldiers buried here."

I will call the primaria in Cavadinest tomorrow for more information.

Any advice on travel is welcome. I think there are some sites in Focsani relating to the war.

And who would I contact for records on German troops killed at the river Pruth and buried in Cavadinesti? I'm just a tourist, so it is possible that I have no right to see records of the war. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I will try to leave for Cavadinesti this Monday!

Thank you all so very much!!!
Shane
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: September 10, 2008 05:11 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I advise you to call before leaving, in as many locations/offices as possible, so you would know what to expect.

If they say that you cannot see documents, because you're a foreigner, not a Rumanian, just refer to your rights as a European Union citizen (if you're from EU), which is equal to the rights of the Rumanian citizen.

Good luck! It's a very nice gesture and you fully deserve to be successful in your quest...

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on September 10, 2008 05:11 am
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0312 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]