Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "Budapest" erased from triumphal arch
Radub
Posted: October 09, 2012 08:36 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Florin @ October 09, 2012 06:08 pm)

Moments 3:11...3:15: look at the color level of the rectangle with the erased inscription, versus the rectangle above marked "COSNA". If the erasing work would be done in 1953, 59 years of automobile and industrial pollution would "darken" it to a closer appearance with the surrounding design.
My bet is that it occurred only few years ago.

As explained earlier in this thread, the arch was renovated after the Revolution when the original inscriptions were restored. There was even a photo earlier in this thread showing the scaffolding.
So, mosy likely, it was cleaned them. There is no way there is such old grime anywhere on it.
Radu

This post has been edited by Radub on October 09, 2012 08:37 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ferdinand
Posted: October 09, 2012 09:38 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 1486

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ October 09, 2012 08:23 pm)
[/QUOTE] 3:11...3:15: look at the color level of the rectangle with the erased inscription, versus the rectangle above marked "COSNA".[/QUOTE]

[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2589/imgp0080dy.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img838/6327/imgp0081ix.jpg][/IMG]

Thanks Dan for the pics! I don't think it is erased but covered with cement. If the authorities didn't noticed when the cover was done...maybe they will not see me uncovering it!

smile.gif)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Florin
Posted: October 09, 2012 09:40 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 17

Cantacuzino, I get your point, and I looked into your photos. Did you see that portion of the movie? (3:11...3.15) Your photos seem to prove the rectangles are the same, those seconds from movie seem to prove a different thing. One big difference is that your photos are an overall image of everything, while in those seconds the image is zoomed into that spot.
P.S: I wrote much more about photography and digital cameras with automatic settings, then I had deleted it. I don't want to abuse anybody's time.

This post has been edited by Florin on October 09, 2012 09:48 pm
PM
Radub
Posted: October 10, 2012 07:52 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Florin @ October 09, 2012 09:40 pm)
Cantacuzino, I get your point, and I looked into your photos. Did you see that portion of the movie? (3:11...3.15) Your photos seem to prove the rectangles are the same, those seconds from movie seem to prove a different thing. One big difference is that your photos are an overall image of everything, while in those seconds the image is zoomed into that spot.
P.S: I wrote much more about photography and digital cameras with automatic settings, then I had deleted it. I don't want to abuse anybody's time.

Shock! Horror! Do you mean that the video was "doctored" and edited with the intention to manipulate? Who would do such a thing? biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif
Radu
Radub
Posted: October 10, 2012 08:02 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (seeker @ October 09, 2012 09:38 pm)
[QUOTE=Cantacuzino,October 09, 2012 08:23 pm] [/QUOTE] 3:11...3:15: look at the color level of the rectangle with the erased inscription, versus the rectangle above marked "COSNA".[/QUOTE]

[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2589/imgp0080dy.jpg][/IMG]

[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img838/6327/imgp0081ix.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us [/QUOTE]
Thanks Dan for the pics! I don't think it is erased but covered with cement. If the authorities didn't noticed when the cover was done...maybe they will not see me uncovering it!

smile.gif)

No one knows for sure what is under the plaster. Apparently, when the order was given in 1953 to erase the inscription, the text was first chiselled off and then it was covreed with plaster. http://b365.realitatea.net/inscrip-ia-buda...953_183342.html
But it should not be impossible to replace the entire block of stone with a new one decorated with a fresh inscription.
Radu
Imperialist
Posted: October 10, 2012 08:50 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

The guys lined under the arch claimed that it was erased by U.D.M.R. I don't say it was or it wasn't, but until it is proved this may be considered "calumny" and subject of lawsuit.

You're joking, right? smile.gif

--------------------
I
PM
Florin
Posted: October 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Imperialist @ October 10, 2012 03:50 am)
The guys lined under the arch claimed that it was erased by U.D.M.R. I don't say it was or it wasn't, but until it is proved this may be considered "calumny" and subject of lawsuit.

You're joking, right? smile.gif

No.
In any democratic country, if you make a public statement against another side and you cannot prove it, that side may sue you for "calumny".
Remember the 1990's ? Corneliu Vadim Tudor was defendant in about 60...80 calumny lawsuits occurring in the same time.
I can give another example - it may not be appropriate.
Let say you are accusing Adrian Nastase of making fraud against national interest, or stealing from public money, or getting bribes for his official duties. If you cannot prove it, he may sue you for "calumny".
Well, he is in jail (with his laptop connected to Internet to fill his time) - so...
P.S: And how is the laptop charged? When the Romanian cells got outlets for power supply ? What kind of jail is that?

This post has been edited by Florin on October 11, 2012 06:08 am
PM
Florin
Posted: October 10, 2012 11:33 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Radub @ October 10, 2012 02:52 am)
Shock! Horror! Do you mean that the video was "doctored" and edited with the intention to manipulate? Who would do such a thing?  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  biggrin.gif  rolleyes.gif
Radu

No - nothing was "doctored". Neither the photos presented by "Cantacuzino", neither that movie.
I mentioned that the video had a close "zoom in", so it is a more reliable source of information, proving that what happened it happened in the last few years.
The same portion of an image may look different when it is part of a "wide angle", versus when you focus into it with "zoom in". The automatic digital camera tries to adapt to overall luminosity.
Trust me, I made about 20,000 digital photos since 2002, and hundreds and hundreds of short digital videos as well. ( I do not claim that all of them were good.)

This post has been edited by Florin on October 11, 2012 06:02 am
PM
MMM
  Posted: October 11, 2012 06:04 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

QUOTE (Florin @ October 11, 2012 02:19 am)

P.S: And how is the laptop charged? When the Romanian cells got outlets for power supply ? What kind of jail is that?

Well, it's a special one, designed for PM's and other VIP's (Very Import Papagal), as another ex-con said once about another ex-PM...
It's better to keep in mind that we live in Romania and we do not obey the regular laws of Physics: if A.N. wants to charge his laptop through the power of mind, well... he CAN do it! Maybe we should ask him nicely to recover the inscripton as well!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
mihnea
Posted: October 11, 2012 06:30 am
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

I hate finger pointing is the most useless thing you can do, and it's happening way to often in Romania.

In my opinion the problem is simple, the inscription is missing now, who did it is not so important anymore. We should restore the monument as it was when built and f&ck the rest.

As far as I'm concern, I live in Bucharest since I was born and I have walked around that square countless times and I was always interested in the erased inscription (it's clearly visible from the sidewalk), before and after it was surrounded with the scaffolding and I have never seen the inscription "BUDAPESTA" on the arch.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: October 11, 2012 09:28 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Florin @ October 10, 2012 11:19 pm)
No.
In any democratic country, if you make a public statement against another side and you cannot prove it, that side may sue you for "calumny".
Remember the 1990's ? Corneliu Vadim Tudor was defendant in about 60...80 calumny lawsuits occurring in the same time.

Sure, but I never heard of protesters being sued for the slogans they write on their protest signs. If UDMR feels like sueing someone it will probably sue the person/media institution that published that article.

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: October 11, 2012 02:08 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (mihnea @ October 11, 2012 06:30 am)
In my opinion the problem is simple, the inscription is missing now, who did it is not so important anymore. We should restore the monument as it was when built and f&ck the rest.

At least we, the public and media, made them promise they will:

http://www.cultura.ro/articol/436

It's a small step for man... let's hope it keeps going. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Imperialist on October 11, 2012 02:50 pm

--------------------
I
PM
contras
Posted: October 11, 2012 04:59 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 2693

Here is an article who pretends that the inscription was erased in 1953 and nothing was happened in 2008. Good news, the inscription will be restorated.

http://b365.realitatea.net/victoria-armate...ani_183589.html
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: October 12, 2012 12:06 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (contras @ October 11, 2012 11:59 am)
............... Good news, the inscription will be restorated.

"Cine face si desface are intotdeauna ce face." / "Who is building, then dismantling, will always have what to do." (good rhyme in Romanian language)

This post has been edited by Florin on October 12, 2012 05:54 am
PM
teraman
Posted: January 04, 2013 09:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 572

QUOTE (Dénes @ October 03, 2012 07:05 pm)
There was no battle in/around Budapest, the Rumanians marched in unopposed, as the Hungarian government, let alone the army, had fallen apart days earlier.

Gen. Dénes

I supposed they had fallen apart, days earlier, from... natural causes! Just like that! Spring wheatear, you know… too much rain, wind and so on!
Most likely Romanian Army had nothing to do whit that… “fallen apart” mentioned before.
Slovak, Serbs and French, they may have something to do with it. And in unprecedented greatness, just for the sake of friendship, they decided to let Romanian Army to MILLITARY OCCUPY Hungarian capital.
Right?

1st Lt. (for real) teraman
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0464 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]