Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Dacians, anything about them
Imperialist
Posted: January 25, 2006 08:41 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

If there are some foreigners here interested about the subject, they can watch 2 romanian documentaries with english subtitles on the net. The translation is moderately good, there are some minor mistakes, but I guess it would do.

Go on this page:

http://www.tvr.ro/webcast/inregistrari.php#

The short documentaries are titled Enigme in Carpati, but only the ones under 22-01-2006 and 19-01-2006 are about the Dacians.

Note: apparently only the flash player can open them, for me the RealPlayer download didnt work

--------------------
I
PM
cnflyboy2000
Posted: February 06, 2006 04:17 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

Hey, thanks!!! great link, for Romanian news in English! , and the Flash player works great. Unfortunately, I saw this post too late to catch the Dacians, which I would be interested in.....it looks like their archive only covers the current week? sad.gif
PMYahoo
horia
Posted: February 08, 2006 01:30 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 529

yesterday a friend of mine who work on Sacele city hall (a small town near Brasov) told me thet a team from Discovery Chanel came and ask for aprroval to dig in a site called Bunloc. Thei believe that there is a part from an ancient grat wall similar to chinese wall. Personal i worked on an arheological site (Racos)and very ofen visit such place but I have never heard about this wall. Those anybody knew more?
PMEmail Poster
cnflyboy2000
Posted: February 08, 2006 04:18 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (horia @ Feb 8 2006, 06:30 PM)
yesterday a friend of mine who work on Sacele city hall (a small town near Brasov) told me thet a team from Discovery Chanel came and ask for aprroval to dig in a site called Bunloc. Thei believe that there is a part from an ancient grat wall similar to chinese wall. Personal i worked on an arheological site (Racos)and very ofen visit such place but I have never heard about this wall. Those anybody knew more?

[SIZE=7] Well, I don't know about that one, of course...sounds very interesting. I did see an amazing site once while driving between Sibiu and Pitesti, where the road follows the Olt River closely (Rte 7?) Somewhere above Ramnicu Valcea, maybe near where 7a turns off, there was what I think may be a Roman watch tower? Does anyone know anything about this?

I was amazed, as it was just sitting there, in pretty good shape, not looking disturbed.but obviously ancient...completely accessable by a short walk off the road. It was a rather isolated stretch of the highway..not so much traveled, it seemed.

But, it was like in that short walk, you went back 2000 years or so...the tower had a perfect view, up and down the river, was sturdily built of hand layed, unmortared stone block...up on the high bank. It was small, but would have been a formidable strongpoint, and looked to command the whole valley. You could still see some battlements, archers' salients and so forth...amazing!

I could only imagine the ancient Dacians slugging it out with the Romans on this site...it was eery to me.

I couldn't find any info on it....does anybody know anything about this small but amazing site? It should be protected, imo, or perhaps it is now.
PMYahoo
Carol I
Posted: February 08, 2006 05:05 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (cnflyboy2000 @ Feb 8 2006, 05:18 PM)
Well, I don't know about that one, of course...sounds very interesting.  I did see an amazing site once while driving between Sibiu and Pitesti, where the road follows the Olt River closely (Rte 7?) Somewhere above Ramnicu Valcea, maybe near where 7a turns off, there was what I think may be a Roman watch tower?  Does anyone know anything about this?

I was amazed, as it was just sitting there, in pretty good shape, not looking disturbed.but obviously ancient...completely accessable by a short walk off the road.  It was a rather isolated stretch of the highway..not so much traveled, it seemed.

But, it was like in that short walk, you went back 2000 years or so...the tower had a perfect view, up and down the river, was sturdily built of hand layed, unmortared stone block...up on the high bank.  It was small, but would have been a formidable strongpoint, and looked to command the whole valley. You could still see some battlements, archers' salients and so forth...amazing!

I could only imagine the ancient Dacians slugging it out with the Romans on this site...it was eery to me.

I couldn't find any info on it....does anybody know anything about this small but amazing site?  It should be protected, imo, or perhaps it is now.

I know of a reconstructed castrum north of Râmnicu Vâlcea: Arutela.

user posted image
Source
PM
horia
Posted: February 08, 2006 05:12 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 529

Carol I, on the link you share to us is not mentioned the Racos site, and is very sad because is considered to be first after Sarmizegetusa. Is an impresiv religious-miltary and social complex.
more about this site here:
http://www.dacii.ro/modules.php?name=News&...article&sid=745
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: February 08, 2006 05:26 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (horia @ Feb 8 2006, 06:12 PM)
Carol I, on the link you share to us is not mentioned the Racos site, and is very sad because is considered to be first after Sarmizegetusa. Is an impresiv religious-miltary and social complex.
more about this site here:
http://www.dacii.ro/modules.php?name=News&...article&sid=745

Dacians are not my particular interest, so I do not know much about the Racoş site. I have however remembered seeing Arutela once upon a time when I have travelled along the Olt Valley.

Your link is to the site wherefrom I have taken the photo of the Arutela castrum: www.dacii.ro (it's a pity they do not have an English version; I think Flyboy would have been interested in it).
PM
Imperialist
Posted: February 09, 2006 03:21 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

OK

This post has been edited by Imperialist on February 09, 2006 05:08 pm

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: February 09, 2006 03:25 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

OK

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: February 09, 2006 04:22 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

OK

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: February 09, 2006 04:24 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

OK

--------------------
I
PM
Victor
Posted: February 09, 2006 05:03 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Ten posts were deleted.

Imperialist, the excessive posting of images from one website or book is forbidden according to the forum guidelines. Those who want to see more photos can follow your link.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: February 09, 2006 05:13 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Victor @ Feb 9 2006, 05:03 PM)
Ten posts were deleted.

Imperialist, the excessive posting of images from one website or book is forbidden according to the forum guidelines.

Yeah, but you apply it in a discretionary fashion. How many images did you delete here:

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1636

Nevermind, you ruined an interesting thread, I'll erase everything. Lets keep it clean here, we dont want to break the Forum-guidelines-applied-outside-certain-threads. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I
PM
Victor
Posted: February 09, 2006 06:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You are acting childish.

First of all, the forum rules were updated to include the limiting of images posted from a source in June 2005, six months after the topic you indicated.

Second, the images you posted were hotlinks from another site. They were already online and, as a matter courtesy, it was normal to let the members see the images on the original site. You should have posted several and then give the link to it. This is why I left a part of the photos, before you deleted your own posts.

Third, I suggest you keep the smart guy remarks to yourself in the future.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: February 09, 2006 06:53 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Victor @ Feb 9 2006, 06:21 PM)
You are acting childish.

First of all, the forum rules were updated to include the limiting of images posted from a source in June 2005, six months after the topic you indicated.

Second, the images you posted were hotlinks from another site. They were already online and, as a matter courtesy, it was normal to let the members see the images on the original site. You should have posted several and then give the link to it. This is why I left a part of the photos, before you deleted your own posts.

Third, I suggest you keep the smart guy remarks to yourself in the future.

They were beautiful pictures and relevant to the topic. I spent time selecting and linking them + posting the explaining text. I did some work for that (not hard, but passionate), when I could have given a simple link. Why? I just wanted to make this thread about the Dacians interesting and show something nice to people who are not familiar with the subject but stumble on it here on the Forum. Talk about childish, right. You are right, I'll never do that again. You came, you saw, you deleted. Congrats. Good job. Hooray. dry.gif

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0324 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]