Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Generals KIA
LORNITZ
Posted: January 20, 2007 10:42 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1237

There still a big missing on my list, Generals Paraschiv and Caracas. What happen to them? Any info?

BEST REGARDS

LORNITZ
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: January 21, 2007 02:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (dragos03 @ January 14, 2007 08:04 pm)
Well, in this case at least Tocineanu D. Petrescu and Cristu Cantuniar should count, since they were division commanders.

Dimitrie Tocineanu Petrescu was the CO of the 19th Infantry Brigade and thus the deputy commander of the 19th Infantry Division (and not the 9th ID). The commander was maj. general Carol (or Karl) Schmidt. Colonel Dimitrie Tocineanu Petrescu replaced general Schmidt during his short appointment as CO of the 1st Armored Division between 20 August - 10 October 1941 (when brig. gen. Sion was under investigation following the events at Karpova) and then during his leave between 18 December 1942 and 7 January 1943. Thus, on 11 February 1943, when colonel Petrescu was killed by an aircraft bomb (this is the version I found) he was not the CO of the 19th Infantry Division, but the deputy commander.

Colonel Cristu Cantuniar can indeed be considered a casualty of war, even though he was not killed in combat.

Brig. gen. Sava Caracas died on 12 March 1945 in the hospital in Alba Iulia. Brig. gen. Dobre Paraschiv died on 8 January 1942 in Bucharest. Both held administrative jobs at the time of their deaths, which was not the result of military action.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
LORNITZ
Posted: January 22, 2007 04:05 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1237

There still one missing on my list he is Major-General Octavian Georgescu. Can anyone give me details on him?

Best Regards

LOrnitz
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: January 24, 2007 03:13 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

On the other hand, at least three names are missing from the list of WWII deaths: Gen. A. Ioanitiu, Gen. I. Sion and Gen. G. Avramescu.

According to the very few archival documents from the Russian Central Archives that I was able to get my hands on, General Avramescu had been detained and was being driven in a Buick, license plate S87550, sitting in the back middle seat. In the front seat of the car was Lt. General Koriolov, Commander of the 2nd Ukrainian Front Counter-Espionage section (SMERS). Avramescu, in the back seat, was surrounded by Lt.-Colonel Soroka, Chief of 2nd Section (also of 2nd Uk. Front), and Lt.-Colonel Ostretov, Chief of Section 4.

The car, being driven at night, was strafed with 20mm explosive rounds machine gun fire by a german plane. The path of the bullets went through the middle of the car, and the only person hit (and killed instantaneously) was General Avramescu, according to the report, signed by the other 3 senior Soviet officers present.

One should be, however, very skeptical about the report, given the turbulent times. One should also ask himself how it was possible that a car strafed with 20mm explosive rounds only hit 1 person from the 5 people present in the car (4 officers plus 1 chauffeur).

It is furthermore suspicious that the car was examined by Lt-Colonel Andrianko himself, the Chief Engineer of Armament for the 2nd Ukranian Front, who speculated that the 20mm rounds were of poor quality and did not explode - thus resulting in small damage to the car.

Sorry for the long-winded answer....

PM
Petre
Posted: October 13, 2020 06:54 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

user posted image

This post has been edited by Petre on October 14, 2020 09:38 am
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: November 14, 2020 08:25 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Petre @ October 13, 2020 01:54 am)
user posted image

Wow, that was not any general, but a high rank general !
When it was published that newspaper's article ? Or, in other words, when did the general died ?
PM
Petre
Posted: November 15, 2020 05:46 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

QUOTE (Florin @ November 14, 2020 11:25 am)
When it was published that newspaper's article ?
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: February 20, 2021 09:02 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Florea Mitranescu was not KIA. He died on 21 February 1944 in Timisoara. At the time of his death he was commanding the 7th Corps, which was stationed in the Banat area since April 1943.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0652 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]