Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bucharest 1928
Marcel Kares
Posted: June 01, 2009 05:07 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1299

Hi Denes.

Here is some information:

Avro 567 Avenger II
- engine Napier Lion (650HP)
- total weight: 1638kg
- maximum speed: 290km/h
- climbing on 5000m: 12'

Nieuport
- engine Hispano-Suiza (600HP)
- total weight: 1600kg
- maximum speed: 265km/h
- climbing on 5000m: 11'

Fokker C.Ve (fighter version)
- Hispano-Suiza (600HP)
- total weight: 2177kg
- maximum speed: 256km/h
- climbing on 5000m: 22'

Dear Denes, if you send to me your e-mail address I can send to you scans of articles (with photos) about this contest from very old issues of Czechoslovak air magazines Letectvi 1928.

P.S. Now I prepare book about Czech planes Letov S-16 in foreign service - Latvia, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Slovakia and German Luftwaffe (in this book will be small caption about contest in Bucharest also). I would like in future prepare book about air contests between Petite Entente and Poland. Please do you have anyone in Romania interest on cooperate on this possible project?

Marcel from Pilsen.
mkares@seznam.cz
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: June 01, 2009 06:34 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Marcel,

Thank you for your kindness in offering to send me some material.
I will contact you directly.

However, currently I am really overwhelmed with various book projects; therefore, unfortunately in the near future I will not be able to co-operate in any new project.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
woj
Posted: June 02, 2009 07:44 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (Dénes @ May 30, 2009 03:22 pm)
That contest was held later on, between July and October 1930, called International Fighter Contest. Interestingly, not the actual winner aircraft type was eventually ordered by the ARR, but the 4th placed one.

True - but not at all. wink.gif
First - the 4th placed figter was PZL-1. Purchased - much more than two years later - would be PZL-11b. The same factory - not the same project - not the same aircraft. As Dénes knows, of course. smile.gif
Second - PZL-11 was really classified as 4th, but - according to PZL - improperly. There was a few important errors made during the contest by Romianian organizers.

This post has been edited by woj on June 02, 2009 07:45 pm
PM
Ruy Aballe
Posted: June 10, 2009 11:25 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 247

Dear Mr. Kareš,

The Avro 567 Avenger II was probably the best of the three fighters. It had proved its worth a few months before the contest in Bucharest you mention, at the King's Cup air race in July 1928, as the fastest aircraft present. Despite this, it had against it the lack of British orders, partly due to the fact that it featured a wooden monocoque fuselage (reminiscent of contemporary French practice) instead of a metal structure (the construction method favoured by the RAF).
Cheers,

Ruy

P.S.: Please contact me via PM.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0410 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]