Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Military Agreement with Israel
Zayets
Posted: March 20, 2006 11:58 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Group: Members
Member No.: 504

The other part of discussion (2nd hand Falcons) do not have to many supporters.At least the MoD is one of the opponents.There was an article on Adevarul or Gandul. I can't remember but he (MoD) said that RoAF will buy NEW multirole aircrafts. At first 24 and then another 2 squadrons (48 I guess). Of course, I am saying what the reporter said (in fact was an interview) , don't know how reliable the information is.

Link.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: March 20, 2006 12:55 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (AlexC @ Mar 20 2006, 11:34 AM)
And here is the report:http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/Research/wpap...06_011_walt.pdf
This is a must read.

Thank you for the link AlexC! Very important paper, written by famous political scientists.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
Jeff_S
Posted: March 21, 2006 10:26 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

I agree, that was a very well-written and interesting article, saying something that needs to be said. I've always liked Mearsheimer's work (and Walt's too).
PMYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: March 23, 2006 07:26 am
Quote Post

General de armata

one congressman labeled the paper "trash" and described its authors as "anti-Semites."

another Harvard professor, Ruth Wisse, called for the Kennedy School to withdraw the paper until the authors remedy their "poor scholarship."

Yet the assessment of Rep. Eliot Engel, a Democrat of New York who is Jewish, was that the paper "really deserves the contempt of the American people," and that it amounts to "the same old anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist drivel."

Mr. Engel said he thought the "dishonest so-called intellectuals" who wrote the paper are "entitled to their stupidity" and was respectful of their right to publish it, but said he also supports "the right of the rest of us to expose them for being the anti-Semites they are."

"I think the first thing to be done is to remove it from the Kennedy School's Web site, until such time as the authors have revised it," Ms. Wisse said. "If it's called a working paper, then clearly it didn't work."

http://www.nysun.com/article/29554

And look how others started to spin their paper:

The authors do pay lip service to defending Israel’s right to exist. But their attacks on Israel fail every basic test of fairness, and lead one to believe they would prefer a world without Israel.
blink.gif

Israel is demonized by the authors; the surrounding dictatorships, who have sent terrorists to our shores and who are killing our soldiers now, are sanctified.
blink.gif

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5342

And this is just one example of how some react when the "golden calf" of all debate is disturbed, even by the most polite and academically wary voices.

--------------------
I
PM
AlexC
Posted: March 23, 2006 07:34 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 786

The smear campaign has started it seems.The authors of this report have shown real courage for publishing it.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: March 26, 2006 11:28 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

There was an armed attack against an ambassador/embassy in the early 90s in Romania. Some of the attackers were shot by the romanian guards or special forces. I dont remember much. Does someone know more about that quite unique incident? When, who, how.

thank you

--------------------
I
PM
tomcat1974
Posted: March 27, 2006 09:02 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

SRI (Brigada antiterorista, BTW this unit was established in 1974 former USLA).. target was Indian ambasador.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: March 27, 2006 10:19 am
Quote Post

General de armata

I found this with the help of your info:

Shri J.F. Ribeiro, Indian Ambassador in Romania was shot and
injured by  suspected terrorists  on 20th  August, 1991. 
The incident
took place  in Bucharest  at about  1830 hrs.  (local time)  when  the
Ambassador and  his wife were out for a walk close to their residence.
One of the assailants, who was travelling in a car, opened fire with a
Kalashnikov assault rifle. The Romanian security personal accompanying
the Ambassador  returned the  fire following  which the assailant fled
throwing  away  his  rifle.  Simultaneously,  three  other  assailants
alighted from  the the  car and opened fire injuring the Ambassador in
his  right  thigh.  The  security  personnel  shot  dead  one  of  the
assailants and  over-powered two,  one of  whom also sustained injury.
Mrs Ribeiro  was unhurt. The fifth assailant who was in a separate car
also escaped.

Sikh extremists later kidnapped a Romanian diplomat in India, demanding the release of both the two assailants held by the Romanian authorities in the attack on the Indian Ambassador and three Sikh militants held by Indian authorities for other crimes.
Although none of those demands was met, the Romanian diplomat was released seven weeks later

Oct. 21, 1991
The Romanian charge d'affaires in New Delhi, Liviu Radu, 55, left his heavily guarded home one morning last week, climbed into his black Dacia sedan and was promptly seized by four armed men as he drove to his office. Two days later, the Khalistan Liberation Force and three other militant Sikh separatist groups in the Indian state of Punjab jointly claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

--------------------
I
PM
C-2
Posted: March 27, 2006 11:45 am
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

The Israeli embassy was NEVER attacked in Romanaia.
In early 70's there was a plot of killing Israeli PM Golda Meyr who was in visit in Romania.
The hit mans were Palestinians trained in Romania.
The securitate found out,arested the guys and then sent them back to some arab state.
PMUsers Website
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: March 27, 2006 12:46 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Mar 14 2006, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ Mar 13 2006, 06:01 PM)
As for arab civilian casualties 95% are caused by the terrorists hiding amongst their own people. Most Arabs probably dont support the terrorist, but are too afraid to speak out, knowing they will get killed by the terrorists.

Kevin in Deva.

Do you have a reliable source for such an accurate percentage?

With regards the source, it comes from my own knowledge of the retaliation strikes made by the Israelis in Lebanon and from the International news services.

I served in Lebanon with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) and the Israelis were not respectful of our peacekeeping status, when attempting to strike back at the terrorists, also known militia groups camped very close to UN positions, seeking shelter from return fire from Israeli long range artillery and airstrikes, especialy the PLO around Tyre on the coast.

Terrorists unlike most modern military, hide among the civillian population, so therefore any retalatory attack will have a high civillian casualty rate, the Israelis target the terrorist or militant first, civillian casualties are secondary, whereas the terrorist or militant targets anything Israeli, civil or military. The Israelis are portraied as murder's of poor arab civillians but very little is said about the Israeli civillians who get killed by rocket, mortar and suicide attack launched indiscriminately. Any opions here expressed, are purely my own and I do not seek to condone any civilian deaths by either side.

Kevin in Deva.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: March 27, 2006 01:52 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ Mar 27 2006, 12:46 PM)

With regards the source, it comes from my own knowledge of the retaliation strikes made by the Israelis in Lebanon and from the International news services.

Any opions here expressed, are purely my own and I do not seek to condone any civilian deaths by either side.

Kevin in Deva.

I respect that, but any opinion needs to be backed by something else, especially if numbers are given for events that cannot be encompassed by someone's limited experience. I could return that opinion and say 95% of civilians killed are wantonly killed by the Israelis, and I couldnt get out of that conundrum by invoking limited on site personal anecdotes.

take care

p.s. http://hrw.org/reports/2005/iopt0605/

--------------------
I
PM
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: March 27, 2006 06:02 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

It would be more interesting to see "Human Rights Watch" looking into the human rights of the people of British, Irish, Spanish, American, Australian, Israeli citizens both military and civil etc who have been attacked by so called "Freedom Fighters and Islamic Militants etc".

Personally I consider "Human Rights Watch" nothing, compared to the United Nations, where are HRW putting people on the ground to interceed with disputes, what conflicts have they helped to settle?? Where have HRW provided humanatarian relief help?? (their history is from 1978 to the present day) Where have HRW people laid their lives on the line to help stop Political, Secterian, Racial and religious persecution?? to my knowledge none have paid the ultimate price with their lives to help save others. The organisation is just a Publicity seeking Club of do-gooders, no funds except voluntary donations from the public. wink.gif

But no matter what is reported there will always be a biased slant depending on your view being for the official security forces of a Democraticaly elected Government of the people, or a supporter of terrorism.

At the end of the day the people of both sides have to sit down and discuss there differences, while in Lebanon, it was clear from contact with local moslem people, that they did not like what was being done in their name especialy by the "Imported from Iran, and sponsored by the Syrian government" Hizbollah", when they infiltrated their way into the local South Lebanese communities, they soon spread the word that it was not ok to accept medical aid from the U N contingent in South Lebanon, and that they would be provide medical & social help for the people, anybody who did not toe the "Islamic party line" got a warning, and if they continued to fratanise with the UN they simpaly disapeared ph34r.gif

The whole point of Terrorism is to rule the people by fear blink.gif

God Bless the members of the "Blue Helmets" who have died in the Service of Peace.

Kevin in Deva.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: March 27, 2006 06:20 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ Mar 27 2006, 06:02 PM)
But no matter what is reported there will always be a biased slant depending on your view being for the official security forces of a Democraticaly elected Government of the people, or a supporter of terrorism.

I only asked you what was the source of that 95%, I wasnt for or against anything. If you would've provided a reliable source I would've accepted that info. Instead, I am free to contest its reliability.
The link to that HRW only shows that even if the government is democratically elected the inner workings in (any) military are not democratical and abuses do take place. Abuses that are hard to be brought to light or severely punished by the same "fraternity" whose members committed them.

take care

edit -- and I really dont understand why you compare HRW, an NGO, with the huge international organisation that the UN is.

This post has been edited by Imperialist on March 27, 2006 06:24 pm

--------------------
I
PM
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: March 27, 2006 06:42 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Hallo Imperialist,

Well at the end of the day, I am happy to have been involved in the United Nations Peace-Keeping efforts, we (all nationalities who contributed) freely volunteered to serve with the UN, I remember my friends who died in Lebanon both on my tour and afterwards in the 15 years the Irish were involved there, including the Irish soldiers who were taken prisoner and murdered, (the ringleader of the killers now lives in Detroit, USA selling Ice-cream to kids and has never been called to account for his actions) America, home of the brave, land of the free unsure.gif

And now we have to sit and listen to HRW tell us whats wrong with the world, if a hugh International Organisation like the U N cant wave a magic wand to fix the worlds problems what chance have the whistle-blowing publicity seeking members of the HRW got biggrin.gif

As far as I am concerned my contribution to world peace might have been small, and just might have brought a little normality into the lives of the villiages, both Mosleam and Christian in the UNIFIL area and I sleep well at night.

This is as far as my contribution to this topic goes as it will just entail digging a deep hole with no end in sight. As I said earlier, at some stage (hopefuly in the near future) people involved in any conflict will have to sit down and have a discussion, and not be dictated to because of their race, religion or politics.

Kev in Deva.
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: March 27, 2006 07:16 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I sent you a pm...
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0442 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]