Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 5th Mountain Battalion Avram Iancu, photos and info
Panzer Meyer
Posted: July 25, 2005 03:45 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 628

Carol I Posted on Jul 23 2005, 08:05 AM
  QUOTE (Panzer Meyer @ Jul 22 2005, 01:11 PM)
I am expecting thechnical comments and advices (about scanning and uploading photos)

Hi

A solution would be to post only the thumbnail in the message and to link it to the full photo

ok, thanks for the tip with thumbnail. I am trying now to post a picture with my grandfather and his orderly on the Eastern Front, winter 1942/1943. I would appreciate if somebody could help me "track" the front activity of the 5th Mountain Battalion (as I showed before, my grandfather was part of the campaign between July 1942/June 1943 - anybody has idea where the battalion fought during this period)
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Panzer Meyer
Posted: July 25, 2005 03:57 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Jeff_S Posted on Jul 25 2005, 02:31 PM

I know this question will be hopelessly simple for many of our Romanian members, but it's not obvious to me, so I will ask.

In the original picture which started the thread, there is an officer in the bottom row, center, in a substantially different uniform than his comrades -- dark blue or black, with one row of gold buttons down the center of his jacket. What uniform is that and what is his role?

Hello Jeff_S. I hope I am not wrong, but the officer you were asking about was responsible with the logistic, ranked lieutenant (the original Romanian term is "administrator" roghly equivalent with "manager" - I am sure there is another world describing his position into a battalion). In any case, I am sure that he and my grandfather were good friends, so I will ask and post more as soon as I will have the answer.

Now, another one from the winter 1942/1943, Eastern front. Again, I would appreciate any help regarding the campaign of the 5th Mountain Battalion during this winter, maybe the photos will provide some hints. Also, I am not aware of the significance of the construction in this photo- an observation position maybe?
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Panzer Meyer
Posted: July 25, 2005 04:00 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

another photo from the same area, winter 1942/1943- mountain troops on march
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Panzer Meyer
Posted: July 25, 2005 04:01 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

and another one, this time from behind
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Jeff_S
Posted: July 25, 2005 04:34 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

QUOTE (Panzer Meyer @ Jul 25 2005, 03:57 PM)
Hello Jeff_S. I hope I am not wrong, but the officer you were asking about was responsible with the logistic, ranked lieutenant (the original Romanian term is "administrator" roghly equivalent with "manager" - I am sure there is another world describing his position into a battalion). In any case, I am sure that he and my grandfather were good friends, so I will ask and post more as soon as I will have the answer.

Thanks for the quick response. A supply officer? That makes more sense than anything I was thinking. (I was thinking possibly a medical officer, or more strangely "Adm" = "admiralty" and he was a navy officer on some sort of exchange. Weird I know, but it did explain the blue uniform).

So "Adm" = "administrator". BTW, "administrator"... "administrative"... "administration" are all English words, and you do see positions described that way today, though we would be more likely to just say "supply officer" now.

His collar insignia is somewhat like that of the U.S. Navy's Supply Corps, though they wear it on the sleeve of the uniform coat.

Friends with the supply officer, eh? That can be useful, especially around inspection time when you have shortages to make up. wink.gif

Re. the tower, I've seen pictures of towers somewhat like that used to mark routes in the mountains. It does not seem to offer much as an observation post, or as shelter, and I see no radio antenna or attachment for signal flags. But I'm sure someone on the site is more knowledgable about that.

This post has been edited by Jeff_S on July 25, 2005 04:40 pm
PMYahoo
Victor
Posted: July 25, 2005 05:01 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Panzer Mayer,

you can follow the campaigns of the 5th Mountain Battalion by reading the biography of the 3rd Mountain Division's CO: maj. gen. Leonard Mociulschi (http://www.worldwar2.ro/operatii/?article=14). You also have two articles (available only in English though) on the fights in the Taman bridgehead and in the Crimea in 1943/44, here:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/operatii/?language=en&article=13
http://www.worldwar2.ro/operatii/?article=14

As for the wooden structure, are you sure they are on the front?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: July 25, 2005 05:29 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Panzer Meyer @ Jul 25 2005, 04:57 PM)
I am not aware of the significance of the construction in this photo- an observation position maybe?
user posted image

It looks like the marking of a geodesic point.
PM
Agarici
Posted: July 25, 2005 05:41 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jul 25 2005, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (Panzer Meyer @ Jul 25 2005, 04:57 PM)
I am not aware of the significance of the construction in this photo- an observation position maybe?
user posted image

It looks like the marking of a geodesic point.

Or like a meteorological observation point (a shelter for thermometers, barometers and so on). The today’s meteorological observation points from the vicinity of the meteorological observation stations look pretty much like this construction.
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 25, 2005 05:43 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Panzer Mayer, could you please tell me what is the badge worn under the decorations by the fifth officer from the right in the photo below? Thanks.

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 25, 2005 05:47 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Agarici @ Jul 25 2005, 06:41 PM)
Or like a meteorological observation point (a shelter for thermometers, barometers and so on). The today’s meteorological observation points from the vicinity of the meteorological observation stations look pretty much like this construction.

Those are usually placed at a height which allows easy access (e.g., the level of the chest or head). The wooden structure in the photo seems much higher than that.
PM
Agarici
Posted: July 25, 2005 06:02 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jul 25 2005, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (Agarici @ Jul 25 2005, 06:41 PM)

Those are usually placed at a height which allows easy access (e.g., the level of the chest or head). The wooden structure in the photo seems much higher than that.

You're right, but who knows...? I just wanted to add another possibility on the list.

Also, the photo was taken from a lower level than the level of the construction, so this may seem to us higher than it really was.
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 25, 2005 06:38 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Agarici @ Jul 25 2005, 07:02 PM)
You're right, but who knows...? I just wanted to add another possibility on the list.

Could be, but if I remember right those old shelters also look different.

QUOTE (Agarici @ Jul 25 2005, 07:02 PM)
Also, the photo was taken from a lower level than the level of the construction, so this may seem to us higher than it really was.

user posted image

The man to the right of the wooden structure appears to stand almost between its legs, so he might be used as reference for height. Besides, all the other men are situated in front of the structure, so their apparent height is increased relative to that of the wooden structure.
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 25, 2005 07:12 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Carol I @ Jul 25 2005, 06:43 PM)
Panzer Mayer, could you please tell me what is the badge worn under the decorations by the fifth officer from the right in the photo below? Thanks.

user posted image

It looks similar to the badge of the 42nd Obuziere Regiment.

user posted image
Originally posted by REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
PM
Panzer Meyer
Posted: July 27, 2005 12:52 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Carol I Posted on Jul 25 2005, 05:43 PM
  Panzer Mayer, could you please tell me what is the badge worn under the decorations by the fifth officer from the right in the photo below? Thanks

Sorry Carol I but for the moment I do not know the answer. I saw what posted REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR- to be honest I am a little bit puzzled, because I so not see the connection between a Mountain Battalion and an artillery one (do not take this as a denial of the explanation posted). I will do further researches.

Now, a photo of the 5th battalion HQ in Abrud, about 1938

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: July 27, 2005 01:48 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Great photos !
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0536 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]