Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Vaslui 23.8.1944
jivana
Posted: October 05, 2005 11:52 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 639

Thank you Carol I for the hint. I had already read that thread.

Where were the Romanian soldiers between May 1944 (Targul Frumos) and August 23rd (Vaslui- Iasi - Pascani)?

The author of the diary was not alone then, he always writes about "my comarades" (and all his life he has been worrying about them and their whereabout), so I think that it must have been an event that touched a greater group of people and therefore I think that the exact place could be located and the situation reconstructed.

Maybe some war diaries mention the same event from another point of view. So far I haven´t found any that would fit.

As to the photos, an anybody identify the uniforms/the unit etc. and the year?

Regards
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: October 06, 2005 05:02 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (jivana @ Oct 6 2005, 12:52 AM)
Where were the Romanian soldiers between May 1944 (Targul Frumos) and August 23rd (Vaslui- Iasi - Pascani)?

Before 20 August 1944, the frontline in Romania was held by the Romanian 3rd and 4th Armies and the German 6th and 8th Armies. It appears that Romanian units of the 4th Army were stationed around Iaşi.

Maybe some war diaries mention the same event from another point of view. So far I haven´t found any that would fit.

If you read Romanian, you can take a look in the online edition of Magazin istoric where you may find recollections and fragments of diaries of several WWII veterans. Some references to the August 1944 events in Moldavia can be found in the war diary of Constantin Isărescu (see On-line articles on Romanian military history).
PM
Carol I
Posted: October 07, 2005 07:06 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

A fragment of the wartime recollections of 2nd Lt. Ion S. Dumitru of the 1st Tank Regiment (originally posted by Victor).
PM
jivana
Posted: October 07, 2005 07:29 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 639

Carol I:
These are very helpful links, thank you.
I´ll go over them in the next days.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0514 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]