Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New Romanian AFV?
Victor
Posted: November 01, 2004 08:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I found this photo in the Observatorul Militar. It seems like a Zimbru with a Rafael OWS-25R turret.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Radu
Posted: November 01, 2004 08:38 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

I have seen another picture of this model in Observatorul Militar. It was a front shot of the vehicle. You can most likely still find it at presamil.ro.
It would be nice to know what improvements the new turret brings to the vehicle.
PM
Stephen
Posted: November 02, 2004 05:25 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 365

It looks like one extemly potent APC. I'am glad to see Romania is still building such high quility APC's, perhaps it can be successfully marketed for export. I wonder many the Romania Army is going to purchase.

Thank You smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Radu
Posted: November 02, 2004 06:32 am
Quote Post

Soldat

It looks like one extemly potent APC

Funny you should use that word for such a small cannon. If you wanna talk about potency, check this one out. It's got much more penetration power. tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

user posted image

Seriously now, this is a regular TAB with an Israeli turret on top. The main gun is 25mm which is bigger than the 14.5mm gun of the old turret; however I don't think it has the special anti-aircraft mode the old turret has. It comes with two anti-tank missiles which even tough increase vehicle lethality add considerably to the height of the turret making the vehicle more visible. This 'new' TAB comes part of a package presented to the Romanian government by the defense industry in a bid to convince that it is still capable of delivering modern equipment to the army. I sure hope this TAB wasn't 'la piece de rezistance’ because this kind of outdated recycled technology is a sure sign that our defense industry is dead and gone.

By the way check out the RN-94 a Romanian/Turkish APC that should be given serious consideration when replacing the current equipment.

user posted image

http://www.nurolmakina.com.tr/nurolenglishsa/rn-94.htm
http://www.d-2-128.org/armorid/rn-94.html

This post has been edited by Radu on November 02, 2004 06:34 am
PM
Stephen
Posted: November 02, 2004 06:50 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 365

QUOTE (Radu @ Nov 2 2004, 06:32 AM)
It looks like one extemly potent APC

Funny you should use that word for such a small cannon. If you wanna talk about potency, check this one out. It's got much more penetration power. tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

user posted image

Seriously now, this is a regular TAB with an Israeli turret on top. The main gun is 25mm which is bigger than the 14.5mm gun of the old turret; however I don't think it has the special anti-aircraft mode the old turret has. It comes with two anti-tank missiles which even tough increase vehicle lethality add considerably to the height of the turret making the vehicle more visible. This 'new' TAB comes part of a package presented to the Romanian government by the defense industry in a bid to convince that it is still capable of delivering modern equipment to the army. I sure hope this TAB wasn't 'la piece de rezistance’ because this kind of outdated recycled technology is a sure sign that our defense industry is dead and gone.

By the way check out the RN-94 a Romanian/Turkish APC that should be given serious consideration when replacing the current equipment.

user posted image

http://www.nurolmakina.com.tr/nurolenglishsa/rn-94.htm
http://www.d-2-128.org/armorid/rn-94.html

Radu,

I agree with you that Romania should purchase RN-94 APC's for its Army. That does not however take away the merits of this APC project, Perhaps the Romania intends to purchase both designs? or maybe one will be built for export? Why not develop a moble SAM system baised on the RN-94 APC?

Thank You
PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: November 02, 2004 10:43 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

Nice pitures.

Romania have some experience in developing and producing TABs, ABCs, ABIs, etc. - so, maybe is time to advance in some heavy armed wheeled vechicles for mecanized units, to help tank units or to help with more power of fire the infantry units. RN-94 with a turret for 105 m.m. or for 120 m.m. gun, or for 120 m.m. mortar, or for 35 m.m. Oerlikon aa/universal gun.

This ...25 m.m. is more like for standardisation inter-NATO. Russian armored vechicles have big guns. BTR 90 have 30 m.m. gun, last model of BMP (?) have 100 m.m. + 30 m.m. + 7.62, with 100 m.m. gun having possibility to fire at guided rockets...

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Radu
Posted: November 02, 2004 03:27 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

These assault riffles were also part of that offer. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they anything new or just AK's with a facelift? The picture is from Observatorul Militar Nr. 30

user posted image
PM
Iamandi
Posted: November 03, 2004 07:32 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

So, a good question it is: who knows more about new offer of weapons romanian made?

Iama

Ps: looks like Galil in under-front side.... and system of multi-clips is like that of Elvetia rifle?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: December 27, 2004 09:03 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

For our mountain troops... nothing? MLVM is included in up grade of the MLI's?
I read about Bv206, and his succes at export. China manifested interst for this vechicle - and sweden guys was so naive to sell some, and i think now China make reverse engineering... Germany ... --------->>>>>>>>> "The German procurement agency, Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung (BWB), has today signed an order with BAE Systems’ Land Systems Hägglunds organisation for 75 Bv206S all-terrain vehicles valued at approximately 300 m SEK (approximately £23 million).

Hägglunds will be working with the German company Rheinmetal Landsysteme GmbH to deliver the programme. The order forms part of Germany’s overall requirement for some 200 vehicles. The first batch was ordered in 2002 and contained 31 Bv206S.

The Bv206S is an armoured variant of the Bv206, of which Land Systems Hägglunds has built more than 11,000 units and exported to 40 countries world-wide. The German Army currently has 168 Bv206 vehicles amongst its fleet. The new Bv206S armoured vehicles will be used in the German Army’s Mountain brigade based in Mittenwald.

The Bv206S has a load capacity of 1550 kg and can tow an additional 2500 kg trailer. The front and rear units are connected by a unique hydraulic steering linkage, which gives greater flexibility and manoeuvrability. The vehicles simple handling qualities will effectively minimise driver training. The vehicle can be air dropped and transported by a variety of aircraft and helicopters." (BAE Sys.)

Our best troops are mountain troops. I think modernized MLVM and BV 206 give some more capability to our "Vanatori de Munte".

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: December 27, 2004 11:35 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

THe strength of the mountain troops does not lay in their fighting vehicles, but in their ability to conduct military operations in difficult terrain conditions. As demonstrated by the US&coallition experience in Afghanistan, AFVs and Humvees aren't the answer in mountain warfare.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: December 27, 2004 11:38 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

QUOTE (Victor @ Dec 27 2004, 11:35 AM)
THe strength of the mountain troops does not lay in their fighting vehicles, but in their ability to conduct military operations in difficult terrain conditions. As demonstrated by the US&coallition experience in Afghanistan, AFVs and Humvees aren't the answer in mountain warfare.

But some shields, when are need it, is wellcomed, like US & coallition experience demostrated....

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Stephen Dabapuscu
Posted: January 06, 2005 08:13 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 440

Romanian Mountian troops are amongst the best in the World, and Romania is Mountainous country, so it makes sense that the Mountain Troops should be well equipped and have their own specailzed equipment, such as MLVM tracked APC's.
Though I think the MLVM could use an upgraded armament like a 25mm or 30mm cannon on a new turrent.

This post has been edited by Stephen Dabapuscu on January 07, 2005 08:01 am
PMEmail Poster
tomcat1974
Posted: January 06, 2005 08:48 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

QUOTE (Stephen Dabapuscu @ Jan 6 2005, 08:13 AM)
Romanian Mountian troops are amongst the best in the World, and Romania is Mountainous country, so makes sense that the Mountain Troops should be well equipped and have their own specailzed equipment, such as MLVM tracked APC's.
Though I think the MLVM could use an upgraded armament like a 25mm or 30mm cannon on a new turrent.

The Mules work better in the mountains , better then any Humvee or Bv206 smile.gif

Well that might be a good solution. Currently the MLVM has the same turret as the BTR70 ( B-33 Zimbru wink.gif ). Since we have them , Rafael OVH-25 might fit well on it.
PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: May 18, 2005 06:22 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

An article in "Adevarul". Unfortunatelly, or maybe fortunatelly is just in romanian language.

http://www.adevarulonline.ro/index.jsp?pag...ticle_id=130204

Some details about MLI 84, spendings and co.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: May 18, 2005 07:00 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

IMO the best for Romania would be the ADATS. Capable of engaging both air and ground targets.

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0485 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]