Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pictures of Romanian Soldiers, Found on Dragunov.net
Zayets
Posted: April 11, 2007 07:08 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Group: Members
Member No.: 504

Kevin, the Romanian training for draftsmen is (and always was) a joke. In communist era soldiers maybe went once in a cycle at the range, rest of the time was spend doing landwork, construction and occasional movies. After '90 that changed in quantity only, same stupid officers ordering assault on a hill where two LMG can wipe out an entire company were mounted.
Obviously, there were well trained units but that was only an exception. Sniper training in Romanian army 10 years ago was going twice at the range and some lucky units that had to expend the 82-86 ammo stock were sent almost every week. But that was yet another reason for the officers to shoot at will and make bets. It was not a training a sniper should get. Only if I remember what kind of hideout was taught I start laughing. Luckily there was a Scottish company we had trained/worked with.They shown us some tricks. The only thing we were better at was endurance. We could walk for hours literally while those guys had to stop every hour for ten minutes or so and have some food or whatever.
As for sniper rifle (which you've had it based on marks usually with the AK) I can say for sure that at 600m the silhouette of the target is same size as the tip of the range finder. It is extremely difficult (even with a superb calibrated PSL) to say that yes! This shot will definitely hit! Situation is like the one below, first image is when the target is at some 100m away and the last one over 400. As you can see, is difficult to judge and when color of the target is darker it make a very random shot at that distance. It is not like the scope of the M24,thin.
user posted image
As for LMG hitting at 400m the so called "running target" with one bullet what can I say, lucky shot.
I said it and say it again, draftmen training was a sick joke. Some of us like to think they are heroes for doing the army alone.

And 21inf dude, don't give me lessons. I shoot these guns since I was 14. I have shoot these weapons outside the military life more than you did in your whole military "career".

This post has been edited by Zayets on April 11, 2007 07:16 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
21 inf
Posted: April 11, 2007 09:14 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

Did u ever tried too shoot with a LMG at 400 m the runing target from standing position?
Do u have an idea on how the bipod is balancing on the tip of the barrel?
I didnt saw anyone speaking about the bipod of LMG, thing that a soldier who used to fire LMG will tell u at once that is the most bothering thing when one try to shoot from standing position, cos is strictly forbiden to fold the bipod at any time on the firing sesion, except when the weapon is carried on the soldier's chest.

LMG has different construction and performances than AKM.
It is not the same thing shooting at 400 m with AK or with LMG.

I will not argue on ur drawing regarding targeting, but please at least take a look at the exercises described on military regulations regarding different shooting sessions. U'll find there exact description of all targets, distances, time of appearance on the sight, the time when the target will dissapear from sight, angle of moving for moving targets, number of targets and so on, directions and sectors of fire and so on.

I was also squad commander, so i knew the firing range and the firing sesion extremely well. Any mistake in leading the firing could result in death or wounding of some of my soldiers. So i couldnt afford NOT to know EXACTLY everything about target practice, weapons and so on.
And just as info: with PSL u see the target different with optical sistem, wich provide quite different view than the mecanical sistem.

But what is enough, is enough; well trained (ex)soldiers will know the reality.

Regarding the bets of ur officers on firing range, please speak 4 ur own unit, not generalising to all romanian units.

Zayets, dude, u really have a problem! I didnt tried to teach u lessons; as i said: real (ex) well trained soldiers knows and can tell reality.

(There is no "carnet", it is "livret militar")

Zayets
Posted: April 11, 2007 09:51 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

Whatever, carnet,livret I don't give a damn.Is not something that I'm proud. Yes, everybody shoot with all weapons,remember? So I did shoot that LMG in various stands and shapes (remember "cascaval"?) Or the stupid drums they didn't go out so fast? Have you shoot mortar? Have you shoot mountain canon? I was extremely close to shot even a Milan. Is this something I am proud? No way man, back in the barack the same ole s**t, a drunk OSU or an imbecile SSC. Stealing boots and bayonete , stealing vests and caps. That was the drafted army in pre 2007 Romania. There were nice moments though, when you wave good bye.
So yes, I keep my stand, it is extremely difficult to shoot and kill at 400 m with one bullet from the LMG. Besides, you have to have an extremely fine finger to shot fire by fire with the LMG. It's the same mechanism as the AK with an elongated piston only and we all know how itchy is the trigger on the AK. Touch but not squeeze. Anyway, I remember too many things from the army, not a sight I'd wanted to recall though.
Cut the crap with "my soldiers" , none of them were your soldiers as none of them were mine. They (like us) happen to make the army in place of some other people.
Yes, well trained soldiers know the reality. Problem is there's no well trained drafted soldier in today's Romania.

@mods: I do realize this is getting personal so please feel free to mod my comments down if necessary.

This post has been edited by Victor on April 12, 2007 06:33 am
21 inf
Posted: April 28, 2007 08:03 pm
Quote Post

Dragunov sniper rifle 7,62 mm SVD

(PSAL in romanian army)

Sighting range in meters with optical sight - 1300
Sighting range in meters with open sight - 1200
Killing range in meters - 3800

More info at http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/manual/english/svd/#11
tomcat1974
Posted: May 03, 2007 01:58 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 427

QUOTE (21 inf @ April 28, 2007 08:03 pm)
Dragunov sniper rifle 7,62 mm SVD

(PSAL in romanian army)

More info at http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/manual/english/svd/#11

That site is rather full with mistakes...

PSLA is not the same animal as SVD. Quite different actually.
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: May 03, 2007 06:37 pm
Quote Post

can u name some of the mistakes?

i know only the PSL, not the SVD, so u may b right.

can u name also the diferences between this "animals" smile.gif
tomcat1974
Posted: May 04, 2007 06:17 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

not the best link but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu%C5%9Fca_Se..._cu_Lunet%C4%83

PSL is not a licence build VD..
Is actully a Romanian Design , based on RPK modified for increase precision. The advantage was cost... used a lot of Stamped pieces like AKM's.

This post has been edited by tomcat1974 on May 04, 2007 06:18 am
PMEmail Poster
Mannlicher
  Posted: May 04, 2007 03:42 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 998

Same figures appear for PSL (Semiauto Scoped Rifle) in "Caracteristicile tehnico-tactice ale armamentului portativ de infanterie" (Technico-tactical specs of infantry hand-held weapons) - an infantry training book i used to study during my army draft-time

--------------------
®
PMEmail Poster
tomcat1974
Posted: May 04, 2007 10:11 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

probably last part is referring at the range where the projectile still has capability(kinetic energy) to kill a person. nobody will ever be capable to accurately hit something at that range. Heck is almost close to the longest recorded kill of tank by another tank.
AFAIK longest shoot with a rifle (aimed and hit ) was around 2500 M by .50 cal M-82
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: May 07, 2007 07:38 pm
Quote Post

The kill of a tank by another tank is a "little" bit another discussion, regarding the distances and of course the weapon (cannon)!

And i have to say that the german 88 at ww2 was capable to kill easely a T34 at range above 1.000 m. But this is out of topic and i have to check bibliography.

Back on topic, for tomcat1974: can u name some exact technical diferences between PSAL and SVD, except the price, wich is not relevant, cos is very posible to be diferent form a country to another or from customer to customer...

I still say and sustain that is posible to shoot a target at 1.200 m with optical sights of PSAL. If one is capable to shoot with LMG at 700 m a target with open sight, it is posible the above shooting with PSAL.

To prevent a new "yes" and "no" game, i recomend those who dont believe the above afirmations, better ask a well trained infantry officer about the performances of romanian infantry weapons.

Mannlicher: u r right!
Mannlicher
Posted: May 08, 2007 05:25 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 998

Mannlicher: u r right!
Yep. cool.gif

is referred to as "bataie maxima" and "efect omorator" - same figures as for the 7.62 machine gun http://club.guns.ru/images/specops/26.jpg.

--------------------
®
PMEmail Poster
refaim
Posted: July 03, 2007 08:25 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 242

The 14.5 mm machine-gun is mainly for AA use

The AA machine gun, can be used against tanks, and TAB up to a range of 1000 meters.....
PMICQAOLYahooMSN
Hadrian
Posted: July 03, 2007 08:40 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 875

14.5 mm round would go easily trough a TAB, but it will only scratch a tank.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0295 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]