Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Did a romanian S79 survived the war ?
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: March 29, 2006 12:05 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

In Dan Stoian's book, at page 139 it reads:

Cat despre Ion Ilie, o minte sclipitoare de matematician demonstrata inca din scoala, a gasit calea libera eliberarii de sub "cizma rosie", plecand impreuna cu generalul Radescu, fost prim ministru in guvernul ce dupa razboi s-a opus bolsevizarii tarii, in bimotorul de bombardament Savoia-79B, pilotat de experimentatul adjutant sef Spuza Nicolae

Any ideea about the destination where they landed the S79 ? Also, any ideea if it was preserved ?
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: March 29, 2006 12:49 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I don't have a precise date for the mentioned evasion, but it happened sometimes in 1947. The destination was the RAF base at Nicosia, Cyprus.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: March 29, 2006 04:39 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

rgr - any ideea who we may contact in order to get some info ?
PMUsers Website
angiolillo
Posted: April 06, 2006 05:42 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 535

www.gavs.it is the Italian Gruppo Am,ici Velivoli Storici, the association of classic airplanes enthusiasts. They cohoperate with several museums and they helped rescue a S.79 for the Caproni Museum in northern Italy.

As far as I know, only two S.79 are still preserved. One is in Vigna di Valle on the Bracciano Lake just north of Rome, in the Italian Air Force Museum, and the other in the Capronu Museum of Rovereto, northern Italy. Both are from the stock of three bought by Lebanon, and the one in Rovereto still has Lebanese markings (as part of the agreement with the Caproni family). No news of the third one.

Last S.79s in Italy in the '50s or so have been burned in the firemen school of Ciampino near Rome to train fire brigades.

I don't know anything about S.79s abroad except for a skeleton of a plane in the Libya desert, that forced landed during the war and was found many years later.

I don't know anything of the S.79 you write. But ask in the GAVS forum, somebody could help you.

All the best,

Andrea

PMEmail Poster
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: April 06, 2006 06:32 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

rgr, thank you very much angiolillo !
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0433 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]