Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cleaning relics, bullet mania!
Messerschmitt
Posted: January 25, 2008 07:12 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Group: Members
Member No.: 975

Let`s say, one day you go on a battle field an search for relics and you find unspent cartridges. I wanna know if it`s possible or SAFE to clean the black powder inside( deact them) . I`m just wondering because i`ve seen a lot of battlefield ground-dug cartridges wich were declared as cleaned.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mannlicher
Posted: January 25, 2008 07:27 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 998

Dealing with ground-dug UXO is always a dangerous thing and should be handled only by professionals.

But "Let`s say" that if there are only small arms cartridges involved in this discussion, a pair of pliers is the only thing you'll need to "clean" them. But you should be very careful with it, especially if the cartridges are badly corroded - they better are to be left alone.

So get the round cleaned of the dirt, use the pliers to remove the bullet, pour the powder into a container, wash the cartridge on the inside so it's nice and clean, let it dry then set back the bullet into the casing. Careful not to hit the primer in the meanwhile.

If you'll do this, do it under an adult supervision. And as a final advice, don't do it at all. It's dangerous and someone could be hurt. And by the way, owning ammo or ammo parts without a permit it's - still - illegal cool.gif

Have fun collecting. But stay away from trouble.

--------------------
®
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0485 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]