Fighter/Night Fighter Pilot
Born: 18 October 1908, Bragadiru
- 22 June - 14 August 1941: 5th Fighter Group
- 14 - 27 August 1941: 8th Fighter Group
- 27 August 1941 - September 1942: 5th Fighter Group
- September 1942 - 1 August 1943: 51st Night Fighter Squadron
Combat missions: 55
Victories: 1 confirmed + 3 probable
- Virtutea Aeronautica Order Gold Cross class with two bars
On 1 August 1943, during Operation Tidalwave, the German-Romanian command scrambled all
available fighters, even from the 51st Night Fighter Squadron. Out the four Bf-110Cs that
took off, only cpt. av. Marin Ghica, the unit's CO, engaged the enemy near Bolintin Vale at
an altitude of 300 m. There were two B-24s and one of them was being attacked by a Me-109,
so he attacked the other one. He fired at the left wing and the engine near the fuselage
started to burn soon. He returned and fired on the other engine, but when he was pulling out
the plane was gravely hit by the American machine-gunners. The flames entered the cockpit.
He tried to gain some altitude in order to jump, but only the radio operator made it. Cpt.
av. Ghica was found crushed, because his parachute didn't open.
Died: 1 August 1943, Bolintin Vale